Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I rearranged the post so that the specific was not in the generic part :D

I have made the background period related - like Victorian wallpaper for Victorian novelists etc
But you only need to look at a pile of novels in a bookstore to see that relevance is often not included in the design part :D
I.m trying to find a blog I came across that had the most irrelevant covers displayed :D

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Availle wrote: February 11th, 2021, 5:28 pm I have looked around a bit for covers for "The Surgeon's Daughter" and one of them even had a painting of an old man on the cover (and probably not even from the right time period, although I'm not an expert). So yes, if the traditional publishers can get away with those covers, surely we can too. :D
True, but that takes away some of what attracts me to make covers -- the inspiration to learn about the author, the story, the history of the period, etc., and of course to tip my hat to the team who put the project together. And of course, to futz around with Photoshop, one of my favorite hobbies. That said, generic is a good concept to keep in mind for when all else fails, and I will.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello,

I'm currently recording a book which comprises lovely illustration, some in colour, some in black and white. I'm guessing one of them could be used for the cover but I'm not sure how to inform the covermaker if he wanted to look into it.

Besides, I've noted there's a typo in the cover for this project here. There's a missing "i." It should read "La Sainte Bible."
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Lots and lots of new projects to make covers for!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

I don't spend much time on this side of the forum so I'm not sure how to see who's responsible, but I just wanted to send a big thank you to whoever made the cover for my version of The Invisible Man. It looks fantastic!

:clap:
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Glad you liked it :D

Anne
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

ezwa wrote: February 15th, 2021, 9:10 am Hello,

I'm currently recording a book which comprises lovely illustration, some in colour, some in black and white. I'm guessing one of them could be used for the cover but I'm not sure how to inform the covermaker if he wanted to look into it.

Besides, I've noted there's a typo in the cover for this project here. There's a missing "i." It should read "La Sainte Bible."
Bonjour Ezwa.

Votre message date d'un peu, mais....

Dès que le livre Mon histoire Sainte sera catalogué et la couverture sortira pour l'appel aux volontairs, j'essaierais de me presenter. Je crois qu'il y aurais aussi d'autres que la feraient volontiers. Oui, il y a des images que se prêtent bien pour la couverture.

- I think the typo has been corrected for La Sainte Bible.

Desolé pour mon français

Regards

Basquetteur
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Basquetteur wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 5:04 am[...] Dès que le livre Mon histoire Sainte sera catalogué et la couverture sortira pour l'appel aux volontairs, j'essaierais de me presenter. Je crois qu'il y aurais aussi d'autres que la feraient volontiers. Oui, il y a des images que se prêtent bien pour la couverture.

- I think the typo has been corrected for La Sainte Bible. [..]
Bonjour Basquetteur,

Merci pour le suivi !
Thanks for the follow-up!

Et, oui, la coquille a été corrigée pour La Sainte Bible.
And, yes, the typo has been corrected. :thumbs:

Bien cordialement,
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello! I have just finished cataloging a Portuguese solo project, Ressurreição: https://librivox.org/ressureicao-by-joaquim-maria-machado-de-assis/

The solist has offered a suggestion for the cover, this quite famous painting, that matches the main character quite well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Caspar_David_Friedrich#/media/File:Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Wanderer_above_the_sea_of_fog.jpg

Thanks! :)
Leni
=================
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We've used this particular image at least twice already. Just sayin'...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's a cool picture. :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

This is a very evocative picture! My vote is . . . as long as it isn't used on the same title or author, I don't think the pictures are likely to run into each other.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Availle wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 6:11 pm We've used this particular image at least twice already. Just sayin'...
Out of curiosity, how did you determine this? I've often wondered how to tell if an image has been used for a cover.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

As you say yourself, it is a very evocative image, and I'm a visual person, I remember images easily. And I know the catalog better than most people around here (hint: staff picks :wink:) I have seen it before used in covers, I don't even need to check.

If I do, there's Nietzsche, twice even:
https://librivox.org/beyond-good-and-evil-by-friedrich-nietzsche/
https://librivox.org/thus-spake-zarathustra-by-friedrich-nietzsche/

and there's one more German one where I can't remember title or author... but it's there, promised :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, so it's a method that the rest of us can't use. Ha ha!

I was hoping some reverse image search on our site or on Archive would do it. :lol: