Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

classicsforever wrote: April 10th, 2019, 9:53 pm Hi Annise... sorry it's taking so long, but I'm very close to finishing the Dracula cover, within the next hour. :) I sent you a PM but for some reason it's stuck in the Outbox.
It's not stuck. PMs stay in the Outbox until the recipient opens them. Then they move to "Sent". :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
classicsforever

Post by classicsforever »

TriciaG wrote: April 11th, 2019, 6:18 am
classicsforever wrote: April 10th, 2019, 9:53 pm Hi Annise... sorry it's taking so long, but I'm very close to finishing the Dracula cover, within the next hour. :) I sent you a PM but for some reason it's stuck in the Outbox.
It's not stuck. PMs stay in the Outbox until the recipient opens them. Then they move to "Sent". :)

I was uploading m4bs and for some reason, I can't use the internet for anything else while that is happened. Just in case she notices and posts, I had about 30 mins before she PMed removed her name from the claims list and made a cover myself- big coincidence that - .I'll remove mine tomorrow - so if she does post while I snooze, you could just suggest she'd have to ask me.

Anne
Yeah, I didn't realize the time zone difference is so vast... I'm on Pacific, so for me, the two weeks wasn't up yet and I thought there was more time to finish my cover. :oops: As it is, I'm a little confused what time zone we are using to define the deadline? My schedule is insanely busy, so every hour counts! :wink:
Margaret
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's always a juggling match between readers who want covers immediately and us, I try to be fair to both sides,

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

nochmals danke monika!
:-D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Gerne :)
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

There's currently one more book in the claim thread that hasn't been claimed yet - https://librivox.org/obras-clasicas-espanolas-y-extranjeras-by-francisco-de-quevedo/

I've claimed my share for now, but whoever does claim that title should have a look at this painting: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Goya_-_La_casa_de_los_locos.jpg
Alternatively there is some artwork in the authors' Wikipedia pages that are worth looking at - links in the bottom left corner at the Librivox link above.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We have a maker who likes making Spanish covers, and he isn't on every day, so I'm quite happy to leave it a few days and see what happens,
And why a mad house? I Don't speak Spanish but I thought locos de amor was "mad with love". But I don't really know. That's one of the reasons making covers for languages one can't speak is always difficult.

Anne
It is a nice painting of a madhouse though :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sometimes the genres help. In this case, it's literary fiction and humorous fiction.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

leanneyauyau wrote: April 18th, 2019, 1:51 am I've claimed my share for now, but whoever does claim that title should have a look at this painting: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Goya_-_La_casa_de_los_locos.jpg
Alternatively there is some artwork in the authors' Wikipedia pages that are worth looking at - links in the bottom left corner at the Librivox link above.
Dear Leanne,
it is nice that you give us suggestions on images. Only, if I claim a cover, I claim it because I have my ideas on how I'd like to do it.
Also, I do not quite see what a mad house has to do with love and its confusions and hassles? Boccacio in his general work describes life, and all it's facets, not only the madness ;)
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

annise wrote: April 18th, 2019, 2:31 am We have a maker who likes making Spanish covers, and he isn't on every day, so I'm quite happy to leave it a few days and see what happens,
And why a mad house? I Don't speak Spanish but I thought locos de amor was "mad with love". But I don't really know. That's one of the reasons making covers for languages one can't speak is always difficult.

Anne
It is a nice painting of a madhouse though :D
I speak a bit of Spanish (learnt it for 4 years) - so what I understood was it meant "the house of crazy love" or "the madhouse of love" or something like that - La casa de locos de amor. Mostly I was just entertained by the painting of the madhouse, and I like to pick images that aren't too visually 'busy' so the text is clear and stark on the picture. But I'm sure moniaqua will definitely find something better :lol:
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Different, not necessarily better or worse
I think what we are both saying is that we find making covers a personal thing, yes soloist sometimes offer suggestions for their solos but I think the finished result is often neither what they visualised or what the maker would have used. There is an old saying which I think applies here too that
a camel is a horse designed by a committee
and I prefer horses

Anne
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

annise wrote: April 20th, 2019, 12:33 am I think what we are both saying is that we find making covers a personal thing,
That's exactly my point. If a soloist (or maybe even a BC) asks for a special feature, I may try to put it in, like in Foons cover where she asked for using that picture of the squirrel she had befriended. That is because the soloist already has put a lot of time and effort into that project and it, for me, is kind of like his/her project. But what is the point to work against my taste for someone who could easily do the cover self and wasn't involved in a book at all?
leanneyauyau wrote: April 19th, 2019, 8:22 am But I'm sure moniaqua will definitely find something better
Better suiting my taste for sure. Whether better generally seen is not to be in my justice.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks, Leanne, for the lovely cover for Buster the Big Brown Bear!
https://librivox.org/buster-the-big-brown-bear-by-george-ethelbert-walsh/
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
schrm

Post by schrm »

gppetersen wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 4:34 pm Hi, I pre-claimed this while proof listening. Hope that all is as required. It's been a while since I've done a cover.
Here's the artwork:
https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/visions_revisions_1904.zip
for the book:
https://librivox.org/visions-and-revisions-by-john-cowper-powys/

Thanks, Grant.
despite the claims problem anne answered...
i have to say: stunning cover for a stunning book!
my compliments and: i downloaded it, now that i found it! it totally works :-)
did you make that cubist silhouette yourself?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

heyho,

another cover, which makes nosy and tells about the book with a touch of gothic horror:
https://librivox.org/uncle-silas-a-tale-of-bartram-haugh-by-joseph-sheridan-le-fanu/

that works out very well, i want to listen it!
very good cover, anne!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275