Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Foon wrote: December 22nd, 2018, 11:33 am Thank you Michele for the lovely cover for Bumper the White Rabbit! The cover looks just as cute as the story is! :D
https://librivox.org/bumper-the-white-rabbit-by-george-ethelbert-walsh/
One of the easiest covers I ever made. The artwork was readymade and so adorable.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

re the series conversation, there is not any rule (surprise surprise where LV is concerned, "Be Nice" is the only rule " PD in the USA" is the legal need ". "tech bits" are a functional need . )
Series covers are just a nice idea sometimes, for something like bible books it became an easy way to separate the different versions
For something like the chronicles of Canada a way to include the number when together they make a complete history
but for books which would not be read in order and are not a continuing story there is no real reason to do it
As for Laura Lee Hope and many of the other children's books which were written of this type, there was never a Laura Lee hope - the names were used by a "syndicate" which employed different writers to produce a stream of books with the same concept and sometimes a character would turn up in a later story. So Laura was Edward Stratemeyer, Howard and Lilian Garis, Elizabeth Ward, Harriet (Stratemeyer) Adams, Andrew E. Svenson, June M. Dunn, Grace Grote and Nancy Axelrad.

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: December 23rd, 2018, 2:52 pm re the series conversation, there is not any rule (surprise surprise where LV is concerned, "Be Nice" is the only rule " PD in the USA" is the legal need ". "tech bits" are a functional need . )
Series covers are just a nice idea sometimes, for something like bible books it became an easy way to separate the different versions
For something like the chronicles of Canada a way to include the number when together they make a complete history
but for books which would not be read in order and are not a continuing story there is no real reason to do it
As for Laura Lee Hope and many of the other children's books which were written of this type, there was never a Laura Lee hope - the names were used by a "syndicate" which employed different writers to produce a stream of books with the same concept and sometimes a character would turn up in a later story. So Laura was Edward Stratemeyer, Howard and Lilian Garis, Elizabeth Ward, Harriet (Stratemeyer) Adams, Andrew E. Svenson, June M. Dunn, Grace Grote and Nancy Axelrad.

Anne
just wanted to say thank you anne, today the best article with interesting informations i was reading while drinking my morning christmas coffee!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

i saw a cover, which i cannot load/see.
when clicking upon the download links it leads me to a "page not found" error.
the archive page loads with cover without any problems..
can you have a look at it, please?
https://librivox.org/the-boy-scouts-through-the-big-timber-by-st-george-henry-rathborne/
thx!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

There were some extra characters in the link field. I fixed it :thumbs:

Thank you for spotting and reporting!
Carolin
schrm

Post by schrm »

morning,

another one:
https://librivox.org/bildergeschichten-von-wilhelm-busch/
archive page says: link not found

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

This one is not a cover problem. The complete Archive page is gone. I'll hand this over to a super admin...
Bart
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
msfry

Post by msfry »

bart wrote: January 1st, 2019, 7:21 pm This one is not a cover problem. The complete Archive page is gone. I'll hand this over to a super admin...
Bart
I am on archive this morning, no problem. Also perusing Librivox with no problem. But a friend of mine, just now, is getting a "refuse to connect", connection refused, this site can't be reached" message. 404 this domain's DNS hosting service has expired.
schrm

Post by schrm »

msfry wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 8:14 am I am on archive this morning, no problem. Also perusing Librivox with no problem. But a friend of mine, just now, is getting a "refuse to connect", connection refused, this site can't be reached" message. 404 this domain's DNS hosting service has expired.
after reading barts comment, i tried it: this catalog page is existing, but the corresponding archive page with the files, the cover files, the recordings...all gone.
other pages on archive are ok.
...i didnt check it before, to be honest, and believed it to be just a cover link problem.
i checked it just a minute before, again: still gone, the whole audiobook.

edit: and before i forget it: thank you bart!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

This doesnt need to be an issue. Individual projects can sometimes be unavailable for a day or two while archive is doing maintenance. We are investigating :thumbs:
Carolin
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

Problem solved.
Bart
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
schrm

Post by schrm »

i second, that this posting should be found easily, since i was looking for it right now to decide about a cover..

cheers,
schrm

edited by Admin
I've deleted the copy of the "rules". One of reasons we give links to things like this is that it is possible to update one copy but not when the same thing is sprinkled around the forum, It is already out of date since 1st January, and will be every year.

Anne
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I have linked it in the top post of the main cover thread where "public domain" is mentioned. It's not really 100% the same issue, but it does help.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
schrm

Post by schrm »

Availle wrote: January 11th, 2019, 4:18 am I have linked it in the top post of the main cover thread where "public domain" is mentioned. It's not really 100% the same issue, but it does help.
thank you availle!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
msfry

Post by msfry »

Availle wrote: January 11th, 2019, 4:18 am I have linked it in the top post of the main cover thread where "public domain" is mentioned. It's not really 100% the same issue, but it does help.
Thanks. Finding information easily, especially clarification of policy and procedure, is much appreciated.