Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

covers are a bit like Topsy, they just grew, so I for one just use the same rules as apply to text.

Anne
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Oh, I see! So basically same as the rules for books. Thank you! :)
carteki

Post by carteki »

Hi,
I have 2 projects in the final stages if anyone wants to claim the covers.
Jules Verne's Meridiana; and
18th Century A Cruising Voyage Around the World
Both books have a plethora of beautiful illustrations that you could use for the covers.
Cheers
Kim
jolynne

Post by jolynne »

Newbie here, and I'm puzzled. The instructions for covermakers include several types of templates. Are we supposed to make all three template types, or is one sufficient?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

no , just pick 1 :D . People have different ideas, different computers , different software. I don't make them , but the oragami ones are nice - you can print them and fold to make an envelope for a disk - one of our makers makes her covers up and folds them without disks and has them in a bowl so she can look at them and show visitors - good PR for LibriVox too

Covers are more easy going than recording , anything that works is OK - images must be PD in the USA though. We like having a variety of visions

Hope that covers everything otherwise just ask

Anne
jolynne

Post by jolynne »

annise wrote: April 9th, 2018, 6:11 pm no , just pick 1 :D . People have different ideas, different computers , different software. I don't make them , but the oragami ones are nice - you can print them and fold to make an envelope for a disk - one of our makers makes her covers up and folds them without disks and has them in a bowl so she can look at them and show visitors - good PR for LibriVox too

Covers are more easy going than recording , anything that works is OK - images must be PD in the USA though. We like having a variety of visions

Hope that covers everything otherwise just ask

Anne
Many thanks for your guidance as we're getting started volunteering here. :D
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Annise!! I just saw the cover you put together for Life and Adventures of Jack Engle and I LOVE IT. You really went to some trouble to find the actual 1852 ad for the book. Thank you so much!
Once a country is habituated to liars, it takes generations to bring the truth back.
~ Gore Vidal ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It was fun to do. And finding the masthead for the paper helped. Glad you liked it, it's nice to hear from readers

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

well i used this thread way too less, until now.
so, apologizing, i have to ask:

mappo the merry monkey is on archive for ten days now, nobody claimed the cover, yet.
the gutenberg-source has wonderful drawings by Tooker, Harriet H.. according to this site the artist was born in 1857 and died in 1951 Newburgh, New York.

so, is everyone waiting for someone using these pics, which are not pd within eu/countries yod+70?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

People do tend to pick the covers of books they are interested in , and everything gets a cover finally . I don't pretend to fully understand copyright laws and neither I feel does anyone else , book covers have a "fair use" provision so can be used to promote the book and if the artist was paid to make the cover it is probably owned by the publishers and so have the same copyright .
Taking off my admin hat, I prefer not to make covers for books I'd not have wanted my kids to read - but that's just me :D

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: August 19th, 2018, 2:32 pm People do tend to pick the covers of books they are interested in , and everything gets a cover finally . I don't pretend to fully understand copyright laws and neither I feel does anyone else , book covers have a "fair use" provision so can be used to promote the book and if the artist was paid to make the cover it is probably owned by the publishers and so have the same copyright .
Taking off my admin hat, I prefer not to make covers for books I'd not have wanted my kids to read - but that's just me :D

Anne
yes, im doubting i understand and am able to respect every right, too..
eg, there are museums, and there is france...i learned today :roll:

i understand your comment "off the admin hat", i was feeling doubts, too.
but after i did the anti vivisection bookcover yesterday, and was reading about the brown dog trial..
great doubts arising concerning both sides, now complemented by this book..

in short: i somehow found it relieving to make this cover today.
and it was interesting for sure.

well, lets see when i find the next book, which seems to be needing a cover
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
klarawindei

Post by klarawindei »

Hi there,

does anyone know, who is maintaining the CD covers folder at the Internet Archive? I made some new images to put the LibriVox logo on covers. Therefore, the folder and the wiki section for covers could be updated.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

the CD folders are out of date mainly - your covers will be stored on the Archive project page when one of the MC's links it after you post it

Anne
I'll look at the rest later
What I mean by out of date is that because of a software upgrade, current projects don't use them , but we still need them for the pre update covers.
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi amit,

i saw your cover pics and that there must be a pic on the cd cover backwards. so i looked it up and i discovered the librivox logo:
a microphone, headset and a book, optically resembling an old telephone (or even some religious instruments].
did you do that?
it is great!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

schrm wrote: August 25th, 2018, 12:58 am
hi amit,

i saw your cover pics and that there must be a pic on the cd cover backwards. so i looked it up and i discovered the librivox logo:
a microphone, headset and a book, optically resembling an old telephone (or even some religious instruments].
did you do that?
it is great!

cheers,
Thank you schrm.

I was looking for a monochrome logo type design for LV online, but couldn't find one. So I just made this out. Being a monochrome vector, you can reverse it, shade it, do vector effects, or rasterize it... whatever to match the rest of the design.

I'm glad you liked it. It's made by me from scratch and is released into the public domain.

I was going for a man-made enlightening symbol from a bygone era but your interpretations are good too. Both old telephone and religious instrument can fit the same levels of acquired wisdom. :D

ciao,

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."