[CANCELLED] LV Community New Year's Podcast

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Ringing in the New Year (LibriVox Community Podcast)

Lord Alfred Tennyson wrote:Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light:
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
Help us celebrate the new year with LibriVox.

Here are some ideas to get you started:
* A short PD poem or story about New Year's
* LV goals for 2017
* LibriVox memories for 2016
Etc. Also I'm going to do a group rendition of Auld Lang Syne, complete with Robert Burn's original lyrics (that's gonna be fun! :) ) . More info on that to follow.

Of course, you don't have to follow the theme. If you have some other sections or stories about LV you'd like to share, feel free to.

At the beginning of your recording, please say, "Happy new year!"

You don't have to sign up before you complete a section, but I would appreciate it if you would let me know you are willing to take part.

How are segments proof-listened?
Segments will be checked for technical errors by the host. Use the tech specs below.

Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Can I advertise my audiobook?
Yes, please! Limit 1 per soloist or BC. Please keep advertisements < 2 minutes. You can include the description, a list of some of the readers participating, and a short clip of the audio (maybe from the preface or prologue?) To keep the amount of advertisements short, I'm going to limit the total number of advertisements to 10. Also, please only advertise audiobooks that have been cataloged in the last 3 or 4 months.

How long is the limit for sections?
Try to keep the sections under 15 minutes, but if you go over, that's okay.

What's the deadline?

Please complete your sections by December 28th.

May I coordinate a podcast?
Sure! Check out the LibriVox Community Podcast Planning thread!

Where do I upload completed segments?
Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: cori - Cori

What do I name files?
Please name files:
communitypodcast_yymm_[initials]_[segmentname].mp3 (where yy is year in two digits, and mm is month in two digits)
Example: communitypodcast_1612_kgr_ringoutwildbells.mp3

Auld Lang Syne Group Recording
SHOULD auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to min'?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days o' lang syne?

CHORUS
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne.

We twa hae rin about the braes,
And pu'd the gowans fine;
But we've wander'd monie a weary fit
Sin' auld lang syne.

CHORUS
For auld lang syne,
For auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl't i' the burn,
Frae mornin' sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin' auld lang syne.

CHORUS
For auld lang syne,
For auld lang syne.

And here 's a hand, my trusty fiere,
And gie's a hand o' thine;
And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught
For auld lang syne.

CHORUS
For auld lang syne,
For auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp,
And surely I'll be mine;
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne!

CHORUS x2
For auld lang syne,
For auld lang syne.
You're welcome to sing just the chorus, or include the verses too. :)

Sing along to this recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/communitypodcast_1612_kgr_auldlangsyne.mp3
(there will be better accompinament in the final version :wink: )

Pronunciation: braes as brays, gowans with the ow sound, paidl't as piddled, pint-stowp as pint-shtop, lang as long
For other pronunciations please ask if you're unsure

Name your file communitypodcast_1612_yourforumnameorinitialshere_auldlangsyne.mp3

Questions?
Please post below.

(once segments are submitted a complete list of sections will be available below)
Last edited by Kangaroo692 on September 12th, 2017, 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

*Gasp!* I had no idea you've had this up all this time! I wanna do something! :) (And may I please contribute to the song, too? :D )
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Of course! I'm still looking for a source for the music of Auld Lang Syne - which is much harder than I had thought it would be...

Kangaroo
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Considering you've already been looking, you may have already come across this, but here's a nice instrumental version from Archive, which says it's in the public domain:

https://archive.org/details/AuldLangSyne_64
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Kangaroo692 wrote:Of course! I'm still looking for a source for the music of Auld Lang Syne - which is much harder than I had thought it would be...

Kangaroo
There's a version with music and lyrics in The Franklin Square Song Collection, published in 1881, so clearly PD. Auld Lang Syne is on page 104.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Twinkle88 wrote:Considering you've already been looking, you may have already come across this, but here's a nice instrumental version from Archive, which says it's in the public domain:

https://archive.org/details/AuldLangSyne_64
commonsparrow3 wrote:
Kangaroo692 wrote:Of course! I'm still looking for a source for the music of Auld Lang Syne - which is much harder than I had thought it would be...

Kangaroo
There's a version with music and lyrics in The Franklin Square Song Collection, published in 1881, so clearly PD. Auld Lang Syne is on page 104.

Thank you both! Maria, I will use that sheet music for the recording. Twinkle, I'll use that MP3 in the podcast, up it to the key of C and use it as part of the song.

Kangaroo
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Oh, you don't actually need the U.S. Marine Corps Band for this song -- your guitar music sounds great!! :D

P.S. I'll try to get something sent in soon -- only a week left! :shock: Hm... I think I'll add this project to my signature again to drum up some interest, hopefully, if that's alright. (Maybe in bright, dizzying rainbow colors again! :mrgreen: )
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I've actually been looking for something like the marine corps recording. If it doesn't fit in with the group recording, I'll use it for a sound effect. :)

ETA - And thanks for putting it in your signature - yikes, only a week left! :shock:

Kangaroo
Charbeli

Post by Charbeli »

Hey! How are you? I am willing to help... Just a question, I read the thread and I didn't quite understand, so, May I read a new year's poem? Is it possible to read maybe a short story? And, could I look for something in Spanish - since it is my first language- and read it in Spanish?

Is the deathline on December 28th?
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

I will be putting something together - ti should be uploaded tomorrow.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by SteveGough »

Happy to help out out on this lovely idea. Am on holiday but could post something by end of Tuesday UK time. Hope this will be ok. Very best Steve.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello Kangaroo,

Here's my contribution made in a rush. Sorry if my pronunciation is not top-notch.
https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/communitypodcast_1612_ezwa_auldlangsyne.mp3 (3:23).

Happy New Year!
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by mrwemmick »

I will have something by the end of the day If you still need contributors?

Peter
They tell me that you'll lose your mind as you grow older. What they don't tell you is that you won't miss it very much.

Malcom Cowley
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Charbeli wrote:Hey! How are you? I am willing to help... Just a question, I read the thread and I didn't quite understand, so, May I read a new year's poem? Is it possible to read maybe a short story? And, could I look for something in Spanish - since it is my first language- and read it in Spanish?

Is the deathline on December 28th?
Hi, I'm doing great! Yes you're welcome to read a poem or short story! :D Although I highly recommend that you try to find something in English (the language most of the podcast is in), if you don't find anything you like in English you can submit a Spanish. Yes, the deadline is on December 28th. As long as you submit before the 29th, you're good. :)

Kangaroo