[COMPLETE] LibriVox Community Podcast #144: Christmas

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Joyfull

Post by Joyfull »

Here is my recording Twinkle. Thank you! I look forward to listen to the entire podcast!

Christmas Memories https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/communitypodcast_1116_crb_christmasmemories_128kb.mp3 (04:28)

:D
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thank you so much! :mrgreen: Yes! Hopefully it'll be completed soon after the 18th. :)
Alitheia

Post by Alitheia »

Thank you for the PM, Twinkle :)

I'm not able to record anything else right now, but we just published a book of children's stories by Raymond MacDonald Alden and I just so happened to read the one story in the book that is Christmas-themed. Cute little tale about giving and sharing at Christmastime. Perhaps you want to mention it for people to check out?
https://librivox.org/the-knights-of-the-silver-shield-by-raymond-macdonald-alden/

The story in question is titled "In the Great Walled Country." I figure nobody would know from the title that it's a Christmas story, so it might get overlooked unless someone just happens to listen to the book and stumble upon it. It's like a hidden treasure :mrgreen:

Merry almost-Christmas and have fun with the podcast!
Alitheia

"There was enough of everything, and all of it good."
Anton Chekhov
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

April
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Alitheia wrote:Thank you for the PM, Twinkle :)

I'm not able to record anything else right now, but we just published a book of children's stories by Raymond MacDonald Alden and I just so happened to read the one story in the book that is Christmas-themed. Cute little tale about giving and sharing at Christmastime. Perhaps you want to mention it for people to check out?
https://librivox.org/the-knights-of-the-silver-shield-by-raymond-macdonald-alden/

The story in question is titled "In the Great Walled Country." I figure nobody would know from the title that it's a Christmas story, so it might get overlooked unless someone just happens to listen to the book and stumble upon it. It's like a hidden treasure :mrgreen:

Merry almost-Christmas and have fun with the podcast!
Thank you, Alitheia!! Yes, I just might be able to include this! :)
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

adr6090 wrote:Here is another Christmas audio!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/communitypodcast_1116_adr_keepingchristmas.mp3
time: 2:52

:clap:
Thank you, April!! :clap:
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I was trying to think of something to contribute to this podcast with, and I searched Project Gutenberg randomly for the word "mistletoe" ...

which led me to a miscellany of short stories, one of which was this one called "The Bride of the Mistletoe"

reading the whole thing wouldn't make sense for the podcast, but I stopped, very intrigued, at this excerpt near the end of the first section:
When nights are darkest and days most dark; when the sun seems farthest from the planet and cheers it with lowest heat; when the fields lie shorn between harvest-time and seed-time and man turns wistful eyes back and forth between the mystery of his origin and the mystery of his end,—then comes the great pageant of the winter solstice, then comes Christmas.
So what is Christmas? And what for centuries has it been to differing but always identical mortals?
It was once the old pagan festival of dead Nature. It was once the old pagan festival of the reappearing sun. It was the pagan festival when the hands of labor took their rest and hunger took its fill. It was the pagan festival to honor the descent of the fabled inhabitants of an upper world upon the earth, their commerce with common flesh, and the production of a race of divine-and-human half-breeds. It is now the festival of the Immortal Child appearing in the midst of mortal children. It is now the new festival of man’s remembrance of his errors and his charity toward erring neighbors. It has latterly become the widening festival of universal brotherhood with succor for all need and nighness to all suffering; of good will warring against ill will and of peace warring upon war.
And thus for all who have anywhere come to know it, Christmas is the festival of the better worldly self. But better than worldliness, it is on the Shield to-day what it essentially has been through many an age to many people—the symbolic Earth Festival of the Evergreen; setting forth man’s pathetic love of youth—of his own youth that will not stay with him; and renewing his faith in a destiny that winds its ancient way upward out of dark and damp toward Eternal Light.
This is a story of the Earth Festival on the Earth Shield.
could I record just that excerpt and throw it in with the other Christmas-themed things for the podcast?
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Sure -- just be sure to include the title and author of the short story where you got it.
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Hi!,

I only make covers here in LibriVox; so it is hard to contribute to a podcast.

Perhaps if you need some christmas carols in between the sections of the podcast (or as background sound for some sections?), I think probably the instrumental carols in wikimedia commons might suit:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Christmas_carol

I would guess they have been offered as public domain

Cheers!

Basquetteur
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Please no. We don't use music, it's too difficult to ensure all aspects are PD

Anne
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thanks anyway, Basquetteur! I appreciate it! :)
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Twinkle 88,
Here are 2 more Christmas audio files, from Project Guttenberg ebook of Christmas. I have already posted one so I am now finished posting for this project.
:lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/communitypodcast_1116_ar_slysanta_.mp3 time 1:52

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/communitypodcast_1116_ar_festivalofstnicholas.mp3 time 10:31
April
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Aww, thanks so much April!! I appreciate it! :)
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Twinkle 88,
You are welcome and Merry Merry Christmas!!!
April
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Merry Merry Christmas to you, too!! :mrgreen: