Suggest works for PGDP

Non-reading activities need your help too!
carteki

Post by carteki »

I was wondering if someone was interested in arranging and managing a "Librivox queue" for PGDP. I am not yet able to do this, but am working on a number of projects at Librivox where it would be nice to have a "clean text" version available (and as they have multiple volumes it can be that the 2nd volume is ready by the time the recording of the first one is finished).

Thoughts, comments ...
Current potential texts (on my list):
Imaginary Conversations by WS Landor https://archive.org/details/imaginaryconver00land
Strange Stories from a Chinese Studion - vol 1 & 2 https://archive.org/details/strangestoriesfr00pusuuoft
The Sikh Religion, Its Gurus, Sacred Writings and Authors - 6 vol's https://archive.org/search.php?query=The%20Sikh%20Religion%2C%20Its%20Gurus%2C%20Sacred%20Writings%20and%20Authors
Last edited by carteki on May 30th, 2016, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

That's a fabulous idea! I have a long list...but to start off with I'll just say:
His Brother's Keeper by Charles M. Sheldon https://archive.org/details/hisbrotherskeepe00sheluoft
I'll come up with the rest of them later. :) Thanks!
Adele

Post by TriciaG »

I don't understand this.

Are these works that HAVE BEEN requested there? Or just a wish list that they won't ever see because it's here and not there?

Not trying to be snarky; I just don't get it.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello,
As a totally blind person who downloads public domain works through Project Gutenberg and reads them in Braille, I think that we should have a clean, proofed, polished etext version of EVERY work recorded at LibriVox for universal accessibility. If a book is available both in clean etext version on PG and as a DRM-free audio recording on LibriVox, it enables anyone with the right software to create DAISY and Braille versions of that book without any additional cost. But sadly, when you look at catalog pages of many works available on LV, the online etext for the book links to archive.org pages of those books. The Internet Archive advertises that it provides those books in DAISY format, but for us blind people, they are of no use because those DAISY books are created based on raw OCR of the images of the books. In other words, we blind people cannot read and study with those DAISY books, since they are nothing more than collections of messy, unprooffed, uncorrected OCR-ed pages of images.
Please, please, if you have the time and resources, organize a LibriVox queue for PGDP. And I beg LV volunteers to consider joining PGDP and help public domain works more accessible to anyone, anytime, anywhere.
Sincerely,
Eunah Choi
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

You might think that I am throwing temper tantrums. Maybe you would ask, "What's the big deal? Is
there a big difference between raw OCR-ed etexts on archive.org and prooffed, clean ones on PG?"
Well, let me give you a clear example. I'll give you an extract from Brief Lives Volume 1, which an
LV volunteer is recording and also available as a carefully proofed etext on Project Gutenberg,
thanks to all the hard work of PGDP volunteers.
The following is the extract taken from the ebook page for the work, which was provided to the
Internet Archive by the University of Toronto Library. Please try to imagine that you are a totally
blind person and you don't have any other way to access this book except to download and read this messy, unproofed DAISY version
of this book available on Google Books or archive.org.
You can visit the links below to have a look at yourself with those scanned images of the Brief Lives Volume 01.
Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/briefliveschief00aubrgoog
Google Books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=IIhmAAAAMAAJ&oe=UTF-8
(And note that Google doesn't allow people outside the US even to download the uncorrected epub version of this PD work. What an irony!)

Quote:
He taught his sonne the use of (the) astrolabe at 10 ;
prout per his treatise of the Astrolabe.
Dunnington Castle, neer Newbury, was his ; a noble
seate and strong castle, which was held by the King
(Charles I"*) (who governour ?) but since dismanteled.
Memorandum: — neer this castle was an oake, under
which Sir Jeofrey was wont to sitt, called Chaucer* s^oake^
which was cutt downe by tempore Caroli I"' ; and
so it was, that was called into the starre chamber,
and was fined for it. . . . Judge Richardson* harangued
against him long, and like an orator, had topiques from
the Druides, etc. This information I had from ... an
able attorney that was at the hearing.
His picture is at his old howse at Woodstock (neer the
parke-gate), a foot high, haHe way: has passed from
proprietor to proprietor.
** One Mr. Goresuch of Woodstock dined with us at
Rumney marsh, who told me that at the old Gothique-
built howse neer the parke-gate at Woodstock, which was
the howse of Sir Jeffrey Chaucer, that there is his picture,
* MS. Anbr. 8, foL 27. •• Aubrey, in MS. Wood F. 39,
* Sir Thomas Richardson, Chief fol. 200: April 7, 1673.
Justice of the King's Bench, 1631.
Digitized by
Google
William Chillingworth 171
which goes with the howse from one to another —
which see.
William Chillingworth (1602-164J).
* William Chillingworth^, D. D., — vide Anthony Wood's
Antiq. Oxan. in Trinity College — was borne in Oxford.
His father was a brewer.
About anno ... he was acquainted with one . . . who
drew him and some other scholars over to Doway, where
he was not so well entertained as he thought he merited
for his great disputative witt. They made him the porter
(which was to trye his temper, and exercise his obedience) :
so he stole over and came to Trinity College againe,
where he was fellowe.
How can you get a sense of what's written on this book if the only way to access this work is to
download this unproofed version from the Internet Archive? For blind people, those scanned images of
the ebooks are nothing more than inaccessible image files. to us, they are like untouchable
paintings tucked in glass.
I could enjoy this book only when the Project GuTenberg etext version went online at the following
link:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47787
And this etext was made possible only with all the dedication and hard work of PGDP volunteers. You
can see the PGDP project page for the Brief Lives Volume 01 at the following link:
http://www.pgdp.net/c/project.php?id=projectID499c11c61078e&detail_level=3
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

no Eunah , I've tried to use the OCRed texts - and they are impossible without massive editing - and I'm sure many others here have too.

So we don't think your comment had anything to do with temper tantrums - it's just a fact. :D

Anne
smike

Post by smike »

I fully agree, Eunah, those raw texts are often incomprehensible, even for somebody who isn't blind. Sometimes, archive.org offers an ebook version which may not be quite as bad as the Daisy version you mention, but there are enough errors in those versions, too.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
carteki

Post by carteki »

TriciaG wrote:I don't understand this.

Are these works that HAVE BEEN requested there? Or just a wish list that they won't ever see because it's here and not there?

Not trying to be snarky; I just don't get it.
I was hoping that a more senior pgdp member than me who is also at librivox.org would help set the queue up. It is more than just requesting books as pg works on a queue system. Also the source of the request is known so a popular request doesn't push a lv book out of the way.
Kim
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Eunah san,
rita1075 wrote:I think that we should have a clean, proofed, polished etext version of EVERY work recorded at LibriVox for universal accessibility.
To get this etext I wonder if we can convert from *.mp3 to *.txt.
This kind of converter should be available, even though I can't name it now.
rita1075 wrote:But sadly, when you look at catalog pages of many works available on LV, the online etext for the book links to archive.org pages of those books.
Can you just name several books as example?

Maybe we can start a new project for creating etext for LV recordings.

Cheers,
Masa
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here you go:

How to make a Project Gutenberg eBook

8-)

I've done it ONCE. It was a ton of work (the book was huge), and there are still errors in it. :roll:
carteki

Post by carteki »

Okay, have changed title of the post to suggesting books for PGDP. PG Distributed Processors has a process of sharing out the workload for making a relatively error free e-text (still need to visit my local library to check out an error that was picked up during the reading of one of their texts).
GWEEKS went through a process earlier this year getting "clean" copies of a number of sci-fi books at PGDP.net. So, not for any specific person to do, hence the talk of queues etc.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Volunteers Wanted: Other Projects. I think it fits better there than in suggestions/comments about LV. :)
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

In Honour of the 14th Anniversary of LV, plz proofread and make ebooks on PG written by fourteen different writers?

In Honour of the 14th Anniversary of LV, plz proofread and make ebooks on PG written by fourteen different writers?

Hello, it's already October. Here, I came to give a difficult but necessary proposal to all LV volunteers. I propose to you that, in honour of LibriVox's 14th anniversary, let's digitize, proofread and upload several books by fourteen different writers.
I may look like an outlandish person, but the books I mention below, all of them, are important books. And I think it's a shame that those books are available online only as either a series of image files or audio files. I am not directing my frustration to LV or its volunteers; rather, I am frustrated that the books mentioned below are available only as image files or unproofread, raw OCRed txt files, so they are useless for me and other blind, dyslexic, or deafblind people. So, I ask again: please digitize, proofread and upload the following books by fourteen different writers to Project Gutenberg.

** My wishlist of books I want to download from Project Gutenberg and read in braille**

The books below were written by fourteen different writers or organizations.

01. [Complete: POETRY] Poems recorded in Greenwich - various -law

I mentioned this book as the first book, and I did it on purpose. As you can see from the catalog page for this book, the poem, "Last Night I Heard a Thunderstorm in Style" by Robert Louis Stevenson, is not available on Project Gutenberg as of October 2019. But more importantly, the recording of the aforementioned poem was done by our very own founder of LibriVox, Hugh McGuire. I am sure that the greatest homage we can give to him is to digitize, proofread and upload "Poems Hitherto Unpublished, Published in 1921" by Robert Louis Stevenson. You can find the complete text of "Last Night I Heard a Thunderstorm in Style" from that book. Currently, that book is only available as a series of fragmented links from WikiSource. What we have to do is to acquire all the Internet Archive images of that book, digitize and proofread each image carefully, and do all the formatting for the HTML ebook for Project Gutenberg. Then, in the future, I can download that book from PG in txt format and read it in braille, while my sighted coworkers or friends can read the same book in HTML format on PG.

LibriVox Catalog Page:
http://librivox.org/poems-recorded-in-deptford-and-greenwich-by-various/

POEMS BY ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
(HITHERTO UNPUBLISHED)
WITH INTRODUCTION AND NOTES BY GEORGE S. HELLMAN AND WILLIAM P. TRENT
PRIVATELY PRINTED FOR MR. FRANCIS S. PEABODY
CHICAGO MCMXXI

(You can see from the WikiSource page of this book that it contains the poem, "Last night we had a thunderstorm in style." Please consider digitizing this etext as a single volume, in both plain text(.txt) and HTML, hence making it possible to generate epub and DAISY files with this etext. The etext MUST be digitized for Project Gutenberg(www.gutenberg.org), because the poem "Last night we had a thunderstorm in style" features our very own founder of LibriVox, Hugh McGuire.

WikiSource Text URL:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Poems,_by_Robert_Louis_Stevenson,_hitherto_unpublished

02. [COMPLETE] [Group] The Chaucer Storybook - kit

I can guess from this book's title that it is for young children, written down to introduce Chaucer in a kids-friendly way. But also, I thought that this book might be useful not only for children, it would be a great value to a high school student studying English as a second language. I mean, what if that high school student is about to begin his/her freshman year in college and s/he has to read the works of Chaucer? As you may already know, Chaucer's English, especially spelling, is markedly different from the 21st century modern English. I think that if this book could be made available on Project Gutenberg, it would be a huge benefit for everyone. A high school who's curious about Middle English or Chaucer could download The Chaucer Storybook as an ebook and get a taste of Chaucer's writing style and Middle English. A child in America or other European countries who's fluent in English could be entertained by this book. Of course, Project Gutenberg has an ebook titled "Chaucer for Children: A Golden Key". But I am sure that The Chaucer Storybook may have another magical key hidden inside. So, my suggestion is, let's make this book accessible literally to ANYONE, ANYWHERE! Blind, dyslexic, deaf, deafblind people should never be excluded from accessing this or any other ebook. The only viable solution for all is to digitize and proofread this book. Please digitize and proofread The Chaucer Storybook for Project Gutenberg.
LibriVox Catalog Page:

https://librivox.org/the-chaucer-storybook-by-eva-march-tappan/

Text URL:

https://archive.org/details/chaucerstorybook00chau

03. Misinforming a Nation by Van Dine, S. S

Text URL:
https://archive.org/details/misinformingnati00vanduoft

The book reviewer on The Internet Archive says this book points out all the mistakes, prejudices, racism, colonialism, etc. shown upon The Encyclopedia Britanica, 11th Edition. Project Gutenberg has a number of Encyclopedia Britanica as etexts, so, this time, how about adding this book for balance? Please proofread and upload Misinforming a Nation to Project Gutenberg.

04. The Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy, by Hannah Glasse from 1784

I heard the title of this book for the first time when someone suggested here on the LibriVox forum that a reader interested in cooking or food could record this book. I am sure that this cookbook could be fun and useful to many people, including housewives, students, scholars and many more. And blind people are of no exception here. In fact, many blind people enjoy cooking. There are even blind chefs in the US. So, please don't turn anyone away from the table and let anyone, nay, EVERYONE, enjoy the food of knowledge and wisdom. The only place I and other blind people can enjoy the feast of knowledge is on Project Gutenberg. Please digitize, proofread and upload this book to Project Gutenberg.

LibriVox Catalog Page:
https://librivox.org/the-art-of-cookery-made-plain-and-easy-by-hannah-glasse/
Text URL:

https://archive.org/details/artcookerymadep00glasgoog
05. The passing of Korea by Homer B. Hulbert

Text URL:

https://archive.org/details/passingkorea00hulbgoog/page/n13
As far as I know, this book has not been recorded by any LibriVox volunteer. And sadly, it has not been available on Project Gutenberg, even after the 70th anniversary of the author's death. Homer Hulbert first came to Chosun as a missionary and an English teacher, and he got to love Chosun, which later became Korea. It is reportedly said that when the author's death was near, he said that I would rather be buried in Korea than the Westminster Abbey. As a Korean, and as a way of giving gratitude to Homer Hulbert, how about digitizing, proofreading and uploading The Passing of Korea onto Project Gutenberg? After all, the founder of the Project Gutenberg, Michael Hart, once was stationed in South Korea. I got to read about this while reading Michael's biography and orbituaries toward him. So, it could be even more appropriate if we digitize, proofread and upload a book about Korea on Project Gutenberg.

06. The Works of William Shakespeare, Cambridge Edition, Volume 09 by William Shakespeare

If I had to choose just one book that needs to be digitized and proofread right now, I would, without any hesitation, choose this book. It is simply unacceptable that even after almost one hundred years from the editors' death, this book is still accessible only as image files and unproofed, raw OCRed txt files. For us, the blind people, unproofed, raw OCRed txt files provided by the Internet Archive can be compared to giving the blind people unskinned, unclean, dirty food at a restraunt. Sorry to be too dramatic, but it is true. Let me show you an example. Please try to imagine that you are a totally deaf, blind person just like Helen Keller, and the only file you got from the Internet Archive for the book displaying texts like this:
CENTRE
for
REFORMATIO1N
and
RENAISSANCE
STUDIES

VICTORIA
UNIVERSITY

T O R O N T O

THE W 0 R K S

OF

WlLLIAM

S H A K ES P EARE.

CAIIBRIDGE :
PRINTED BY C. J. CLAY II.A.
AF THE UNIVERSITY PRESS.

THE \VORKS

<F

WILLIAM

SHAKESPEARE

EDITED B¥

,VILLIAM GEORGE CLARK, M.A.
FELLOXV AND TUTOR OF TRINITY COLLEGE, AND PUBLIC O1KATOR IN "FILE
UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE

AND "VILLIAM ALDIS WRIGHT, M.A.
LIBRARIAN OF TRINITY COLLEGE≫ CAMBRIDGE,

FOL U.ME LU.

onon artl ,atnbrg:
MACMILLAN AND CO.

CONTENTS.

THE Preface . .
ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA ?
Notes to Antony and Cleopatra
CYBIBELINE
Notes to Cymbeline
PERICLES
Notes to Pericles

POEMS.

VENUS AND ADONIS
THE RAPE OF LUCRECE
SONNETS
NOTES TO NONNETS
A LOYER'S COMPLAINT
NOTE TO A LOVER'S COMPLAINT
THE PASSIONATE I)ILGRIM
NOTES TO THE PASSIONATE PlLGRI-I
THE I)HCENIX AND THE TURTLE

PREFACE.

I. THE TRAGEDIE OF Jk_NTHON[E, AND CLEOPATRA,
vas printed for the first time in the Folio of I623.
An adaptation of the play for the stage, published by
Capell in I758, is quoted in out notes as 'Capell's Version.'

2. THE TRAGEDIE OF CYMBELINE, xvhich likewise
first appeared in the Folio of I623, is the last play in that
volume. The edition of 'Garrick's Version,' quoted in our
notes, was published in I762.

3. PERICLES, PRINCE OF TYRE, was first published, in
Quarto, in the year I6O9, with the following title-page :
T-IE LATE, [And much admired Play, [ Called [ Pericles,
Prince [ of Tyre. [ With the true Relation of the whole Historie, I
aduentures, and fortunes of the said Prince:[ As also, [ The
no lesse strange, and worthy accidents, [ in the Birth and Life, of
his Daughter [ 3/ARZdWM. [ As it bath been diuers and sundry
tilnes a&ed by [lais Maiesties Seruants, at the Globe on [the
Banck-side. [By William Shakespeare. [ Imprinted at London
for tellJ'y Gosso,, and are ]to be sold at the signe of the
Sunne in [ Pater-noster row, &c. [ 6o 9. I
Another edition was issued in the same year. As the
title-pages are absolutely identical, it has hitherto been
supposed that there was but one edition, and that the
discrepancies between the copies were due to printers' cor-
recCtions made while the sheets were passing through the
press. A careful examination of the different copies has
however convinced us that there vcere two distin& editions,
and ceoEain minute indications have enabled us to decide
which of the two was thc carlicr. This ve call Q,. The

PREFACE.

I. THE TRAGEDIE OF _ANTHONIE, AND CLEOPATRA,
was printed for the first time in the Folio of I623.
An adaptation of the play for the stage, published by
Capell in I758, is quoted in our notes as 'Capell's Version.'

2. THE TRAGEDIE OF CYMBELINE, which likewise
first appeared in the Folio of 1623, is the last play in that
volume. The edition of 'Garrick's Version,' quoted in our
notes, was published in I762.

3- PERICLES, PRINCE OF TYRE, xvas first published, in
Quarto, in the year 6o9, with the following title-page :
THE LATE, [And much admired Play, [ Called ] Pericles,
Prince [ of Tyre. [ With the true Relation of the whole Historie, I
aduentures, and fortunes of the said Prince: [ As also, ] The
no lesse strange, and worthy accidents, ] in the Birth and Life, of
his Daughter ] 3[ARIA_/VA. [ As it hath been diuers and sundry
times a&ed by I his Maiesties Seruants, at the Globe on ] the
13anck-side. I 13y William Shakespeare. ] Imprinted at London
for Z-[eltl 3, Gosso,, and are I to be sold at the signe of the
Sunne in[ Pater-noster row, &c. [ 16o 9. [
Another edition was issued in the same year. As the
title-pages are absolutely identical, it has hitherto been
supposed that there was but one edition, and that the
discrepancies between the copies were due to printers' cor-
recCtions made while the sheets were passing through the
press. _/k careful examination of the different copies has
however convinced us that there were two distincCt editions,
and certain minute indications have enabled us to decide
which of the two was the earlicr. This we call Q,. The

second ve term Q_. We have consulted three copies of Q, ;
which are found in the Bodleian, the Capell Colle&ion,
and the British Museum. The last is marked in the cata-
logue C. I2. h. 5. Of Q2 we have collated two copies, one
in the Duke of Devonshire's library and one in the British
Museum, marked C. 34- k. 36.
_A_nother copy of tcrich's I6o9, is in the Public Library
at Hambul-g. From a sample of the various readings given
in a note by M. Tycho Mommsen, in the preface to his
reprint of Wilkins' Novel, we recognize it as a copy of Q_.
Besides these, we know of no other copies of the two
editions of I6O 9.
There is also in the British Museum (C. 34- k. 37) a
unique copy of an edition in Quarto dated I6I I, which
formerly belonged to Mr Halliwell. The title-page is as
fAlows :

THE LATE, ]And much admired Play, ] Called ] Pericles,
Prince ] of Tyre. ] Vith the true Relation of the whole History, ]
aduentures, and fortunes of the sayd Prince: ] As also, ] The
no lesse strange, and worthy accidents, ] in the 13irth and Life,
of his Daughter].Lq2ZA2VA. ]As it hath beene diuers and
sundry times acCted by ] his Maiestyes Seruants, at the Globe on
I the Banck-side. ] By FITlli≪m ch≪k≪s2beare. ] Printed at London
by S. S. 11611. ]

How can a blind or deafblind student participate in Shakespeare or other English literature classes with such a clumsy, unproofread text? To me, the situation cannot be tolerated. Shakespeare died over 400 years ago. Even the editor who lived long enough to see a new century's beginning, died in 1914. Let this book be proofread carefully, the formatting done correctly, and be uploaded to Project Gutenberg.
I understand that proofreading, formatting and digitizing this book can be daunting. I guess the hardest part will be doing the formatting correctly, considering that this book contains Shakespeare's poems, and it also has a lot of footnotes and endnotes. However, I am confident that the digitization process is worth doing. After this book is made available on Project Gutenberg, I, my friends, and everyone who enjoys reading Shakespeare's works will be delighted. And it will be one of the greatest cultural heritage, passed through online libraries for generations to come. Please, begin the process now. The time is NOW!

Text URL:
https://archive.org/details/shakespeareworks09claruoft

07. The Works of Christopher Marlowe, Volume 01, Edited by A. H. Bullen.

Christopher Marlowe is one of the most famous poet and dramatist in the Renaissance period. Especially, his play, Doctor Faustus, is said to be the inspiration for Goethe's famous play, The Faust. However, the strange and inconvenient truth is that the volume 01 of The Works of Christopher Marlowe, which contains the text of the play, Doctor Faustus, is not available on Project Gutenberg. Volumes 02 and 03 of Marlowe's works, edited by A. H. Bullen, can be found and downloaded easily on Project Gutenberg, but I cannot find the most important volume, Volume 01, from there. Something needs to be done. Unfortunately, I cannot find any text URL for that book, but I ask LV volunteers to look for the aforementioned book from the Internet, acquire all the scanned images, proofread the text, do the formatting and upload Marlowe's Works, Volume 01, to Project Gutenberg. Some scholars say that many of Shakespeare's plays may actually have been written down by Marlowe, and one scholar published a book titled "Shakespeare, thy name is Marlowe." I think students who are studying Shakespearean plays or poems must also have the access to Marlowe's Works, Volume 01. His work is so important to be left hidden inside an image, inaccessible to the blind and the deafblind people.

08. Final Report of the Senate Select Committee on Presidential Campaign Activities (Watergate Report) by Senate Select Committee on Presidential Campaign Activities

Currently, I cannot read the Watergate report in braille, because the book is not available on Project Gutenberg. It contrasts with the situation regarding the Warren Commission Report, because the report itself, as well as the Warren Commission hearings transcripts which consist of 15 volumes, are all downloadable on Project Gutenberg. And the Distributed Proofreaders are diligently working to proofread, format and upload the remaining exhibits and the court hearing transcript. I would like to watch the same thing happening regarding the Watergate report. Please digitize, proofread and upload the complete Watergate report on Project Gutenberg. And if available, please also upload any related documents regarding the Watergate scandal, such as House hearings or Senate hearings.

Text URL:

https://archive.org/details/FinalReportOfTheSenateSelectCommitteeOnPresidentialCampaignActivities

09. A History of Greece: To the Death of Alexander the Great, Volumes 01 through 03, by John Bagnell Bury

I wonder why LV volunteers had to use the Google Books as the text source for those two volumes. After all, Google Books is not (And has *never* been) accessible with screen readers, the blind people, and it even blocks residents of some non-European countries from accessing the collection completely. Worst of all, Google Books even does not allow downloading the ebooks which they themselves had marked as public domain. I am compelled to say that this is a form of abuse. The dominance and monopoly of Google Books *must* end *right now*! We should digitize, proofread, format and upload A History of Greece: to the Death of Alexander The Great" in its entirety to Project Gutenberg. No one, absolutely NO ONE, should be blocked or excluded from accessing or downloading ebooks solely based on their country of residence, disabilities or ethnicity! I am fed up with that! I had enough of that! THE BOOK FAMINE SHOULD, AND MUST, END RIGHT NOW!!!

LibriVox Catalog Page:

https://librivox.org/a-history-of-greece-to-the-death-of-alexander-the-great-vol-1-by-j-b-bury/

http://librivox.org/hist-of-greece-to-death-of-alexander-vol2-by-j-b-bury/

Text URL:

http://books.google.com/books?id=O28bAAAAMAAJ&dq=a+history+of+greece+bury&psp=1

I will keep adding new requests for the Project Gutenberg ebook challenge. Project Gutenberg is the *ONLY* place where I can download public domain ebooks in accessible plain txt, epub and HTML format, and more work needs to be done to add new books daily to Project Gutenberg by Distributed Proofreaders.
smike

Post by smike »

I guess you're not a volunteer at DP then? Because as nice as your idea is, it takes a LOT more than just proofreading any of the books on your wishlist. First, you have to have a reliable source for the books, then you need to find a project manager who is willing to take on your book as a project, and to ask for clearance of the book and then prepare the images and set up the project. Then there are three proofreading rounds, followed by two formatting rounds. Then, you need to find a post processor who'll put your book together. If the post processor doesn't have clearance for direct upload, you'll need to wait for a pp who has, and who'll check the project.

If there is a dedicated group of volunteers who'll take care of a certain project within an agreed upon time-frame, it might go quickly (depending on the length of the book, images, etc), but it can take ages for a book to go through the whole process. :)
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...