LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 6:46 am

Post Posted:: May 26th, 2016, 3:33 pm 

Hello everyone! :D

My name is Mary Kay, and you've (hopefully) seen me around LV a time or two. I've been active here since February 2014, and though I've recorded a few bit parts, my main love lies in book coordinating.

Recently, I developed an interest in "lost works," especially juvenalia (adolescent writings). I've noticed that, thanks to obscurity and often difficult script, entire bodies of work remain marginalized, mainly relegated to academia and hardcore fans. Sure, it's fun to hear about how Charlotte Bronte's unpublished writings sell for a insane amounts of money, but what did she say inside?
Was she writing of Glass Town, her beloved city in the collaboratively constructed universe that she, Anne, Emily and Branwell Bronte regularly set their adolescent writings in, beginning as children and continuing into their early twenties? Did F. Scott Fitzgerald's magnificent character-building abilities, melancholy, and cultural disillusionment manifest in his college's literary magazine submissions? History junkie that I am, I want to learn more, and allow the general public to discover for themselves.

I'm starting an public domain incentive to reintroduce works (most likely as a collection on Librivox's primary host site, archive.org!) from well-known and/or historically prominent writers with no current easy accessibility. Currently nicknamed "Gutenberg Rejects" (title likely to change, though it's growing on me), these texts are unable to be released as Project Gutenberg (PG) projects based on the group's acceptance guidelines, as many are, though public domain in the US, excerpts from larger publications or unpublished manuscripts. However, they will be released under a very similar manner as US PG, as close to the original text as possible, with the same basic terms of usage and as .txt and .html files.

I'm beginning my journey with F. Scott Fitzgerald's available college works and the Charlotte Bronte's early short stories. Most available Bronte juvenalia transcriptions are heavily edited, omitting complete lines of text and changing the British English spelling, something I'm aiming to not do. That said, these stories are still in need of minor tweaks, punctuation and comprehensible spelling!

What I'm looking for?

I'm looking for a second round proofreader/partner in crime!
Someone who can:
- keep in touch (via email and Google Plus)
- respond in a timely manner
- find their way around a Google drive
- handle proofreading around 2-4,000 words/wk.
- be detail-oriented and grammatically proficient
- take good proofreader notes
- (optional) understand basic HTML coding to catch my newbie mistakes

You'll be credited on every etext you work on. It may become a potentially interesting volunteer position to use on an application or resume if it gets off the ground. My college essay was about a LV production, and I think, because LV is quite the unusual beast, it's why I got in!
Nevertheless, it's still fun to discover new stuff by household favorites. I hope there's interest, and I look forward to meeting you! Shoot me a PM or respond below.

Post Posted:: May 26th, 2016, 4:03 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I've moved your post to this forum , which is where the other non LV projects are.
Anne

Post Posted:: May 26th, 2016, 7:57 pm 

annise wrote:
I've moved your post to this forum , which is where the other non LV projects are.
Anne

Oh, my mistake. Thank you, annise.

Post Posted:: August 4th, 2016, 12:05 am 

HI Tortilla,

I came across this project and would like to discuss it further; I am a conference interpreter (English-Spanish), as well as a Spanish to English translator and proofreader, and English monolingual proofreader as well.

I have been a volunteer on Distributed Proofreading since 2005-2006, and while I haven't been active there for a few years (hopefully I will get back there in the coming days after we achieve the 10k goal here), I do proofreading in my regular job, though it has started to taper off lately. As such, I am in the market to take on some more volunteer work, and the level of commitment you are looking for seems just right for me.

Please let me know when we might discuss this further and see if we can make it work.

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years...