Can We use LV work to recreate new audiobook ?

Non-reading activities need your help too!
krohitpawar

Post by krohitpawar »

Hello,

Can I use any audio book from librivox source to re-create new audiobook with some sound effects for commercial selling?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you wish to start a business you will need to get your own legal advice - Copyright laws vary from country to country

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Our recordings are released into the public domain, so you may use them. BUT be sure you are not breaking any copyrights in your own country. It looks like India is a Life+60 country, so any authors who died after 1955 are still under copyright in India. You would be breaking India's copyright laws to distribute our works for these authors.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

Just noticed this topic/discussion....

Use of Librivox recordings to make money seems to be against the agreement of those who recorded the works........the voices/readers proof listeners etc. did so with the belief their voices/recordings/efforts would not be for sale.

Even if it were 'legal', it would be bad karma to produce and sell.

Using the audio's to add to an audio site....... stuff for sale and for free........perhaps. It wouldn't be quite right not to say where an audio was originally produced/who for (Librivox for instance)......... I was about to do some other free recording and was thinking about Rights.........yikes, what a can of worms subject :>)

aloha,
joe t.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Use of Librivox recordings to make money seems to be against the agreement of those who recorded the works........the voices/readers proof listeners etc. did so with the belief their voices/recordings/efforts would not be for sale.
No, it isn't against any agreement. We as readers, etc. release the recordings into the Public Domain, which means anyone can do ANYTHING with them, including making money off them. You release all your rights to the recording when you put it in the Public Domain. Please see HERE for more information.

The reason Audible takes down LV recordings people upload for sale is NOT because they're making money off them, but because Audible doesn't want the reputation of selling something that customers can get for free elsewhere.
Even if it were 'legal', it would be bad karma to produce and sell.
Depends on your religion, I guess. :) And it IS "legal". See above.
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

I understand that it is legal.......but.......what I said above is the way I see it.

(I don't think there is a lot of money in it.)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

A couple of points, bearing in mind that we don't give legal advice to people. We only are talking here about USA law. Other countries have different laws about all aspects of the matter. Not only length of copyright . Not to mention consumer rights , and others I've not heard about.
So my response to the question remains the same - the first poster needs to pay for legal advice.

Anne
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Quick question:

The license here (which all LV recordings are released into)
https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/

Says clearly that:
When using or citing the work, you should not imply endorsement by the author or the person who identified the work.
How does that apply?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't think it applies. That's saying that if someone uses one of our Shakespeare recordings for a KKK promo piece, they shouldn't say that the reader or LV endorse or agree with the KKK.