LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 17th, 2017, 12:49 am

Post Posted:: March 4th, 2016, 5:52 am 

Dear all,

I am looking for volunteers to create an audiobook for Degrowth: A vocabulary for a new era:

Quote:
Degrowth is a rejection of the illusion of growth and a call to repoliticize the public debate colonized by the idiom of economism. It is a project advocating the democratically-led shrinking of production and consumption with the aim of achieving social justice and ecological sustainability. ( )

I have the permission of both the authors as well as the publisher Routledge to go ahead with this collaborative project (licensed under Creative Commons) to further disseminate the ideas of Degrowth.

If you would like to join by taking responsibility for a chapter, then please let me know by your posting below or contact me directly via email at
orschiro AT gmail DOT com

Thankfully,

~Robert

Last edited by orschiro on March 6th, 2016, 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted:: March 4th, 2016, 6:01 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi there and welcome!

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but
- This book (?) seems to have been published in 2014, so it is unlikely to be pd. This means it cannot be read for Librivox.

- Also, if you want to coordinate a group project we expect you to be familiar with our processes so you can help out any readers who run into problems in your project. It is best to read a couple of sections in other people's projects or do your own solo before you coordinate a group project with other people.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Post Posted:: March 4th, 2016, 7:00 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

I'm sorry if I unwittingly led you astray on Twitter yesterday. I didn't know that you intended to produce your audiobook here - I thought you just needed general advice on how to produce an audiobook. A suitable place to release your audiobook may be http://podiobooks.com/ or http://archive.org where audiobooks can be released under a Creative Commons license. All our audiobooks are in the public domain, and so can only be created from sources which are in the public domain.

Ruth

Post Posted:: March 4th, 2016, 3:30 pm 

Dear Availle and RuthieG,

I am very appreciative for your responses!

Quote:
This book (?) seems to have been published in 2014, so it is unlikely to be pd. This means it cannot be read for Librivox.

I am happy to say that I have the full permission both from the authors and the publisher Routledge to create this audiobook collaboratively. I can provide you with the email correspondence if you wish.

Quote:
Also, if you want to coordinate a group project we expect you to be familiar with our processes so you can help out any readers who run into problems in your project. It is best to read a couple of sections in other people's projects or do your own solo before you coordinate a group project with other people.

It was my intention to create this project in order to also maybe get someone experienced on board who would like to join the coordination.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I unwittingly led you astray on Twitter yesterday. I didn't know that you intended to produce your audiobook here - I thought you just needed general advice on how to produce an audiobook. A suitable place to release your audiobook may be http://podiobooks.com/ or http://archive.org where audiobooks can be released under a Creative Commons license. All our audiobooks are in the public domain, and so can only be created from sources which are in the public domain.

That's a bummer to hear. I guess we cannot put the produced audiobook under a Public Domain license, correct?

In this case, all we are left with is using your two suggested alternatives, I assume. Can we still use LibriVox, however, to coordinate the creation work?

Thankfully,

~Robert

Post Posted:: March 4th, 2016, 3:56 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Quote:
Can we still use LibriVox, however, to coordinate the creation work?

The answer is no. We record works that are PD in the USA which means mainly published 1922 or earlier or those which PG has investigated and found to have the copyright not renewed when necessary . And we only coordinate PD works

Anne

Post Posted:: March 5th, 2016, 3:52 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Permission from the authors and publishers is, unfortunately, not the same as a work in the Public Domain. We release all our projects into the Public Domain, which means anyone can do ANYTHING to it - even (unlikely as it may be) transcribing the whole recording and publishing it themselves. Hence our rules, which are there to protect everybody from unfortunate and unintended consequences.

We do allow people to advertise for readers for non-LibriVox projects. You will see a number of these in this forum: viewforum.php?f=22

You'd need to use a free upload service such as https://www.dropbox.com/ or http://ge.tt for readers to upload their files, and co-ordinate it separately by email or in some other way. But it is do-able :).

Ruth

Post Posted:: March 5th, 2016, 6:45 am 

Dear Ruth and others,

Quote:
You'd need to use a free upload service such as https://www.dropbox.com/ or http://ge.tt for readers to upload their files, and co-ordinate it separately by email or in some other way. But it is do-able :).

This is the way I will proceed from here. Thank you!

Maybe we can move this topic to the volunteers wanted section?

Warmly,

~Robert

Post Posted:: March 5th, 2016, 1:46 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, I will move the thread for you when you have seen this.

I suggest you edit your top post (Edit button in top right-hand corner) to remove the template text and replace it with an explanation of what is required, and how you are going to organise things :).

It sounds a most interesting book, and I hope that you are successful in finding readers to help you bring it to fruition.

Ruth

Post Posted:: March 6th, 2016, 6:23 am 

Dear Ruth,

I have updated my initial posting.

Please let me know what you think.

Thankfully,

~Robert

Post Posted:: March 6th, 2016, 6:52 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Sounds good!

I have changed your email address to something that is less easy to harvest (hopefully), adapted your subject line and moved the post to the right place in the forums.

Good luck! :D

--
AvailleAudio.com

Post Posted:: March 6th, 2016, 7:07 am 

Thank you so much for your support! :)

~Robert