Librivox's Twitter account?

Non-reading activities need your help too!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Kathryn has been making wonderful covers for over five years - I too would love her to revitalise the Twitter page.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Cori

Post by Cori »

Posting to keep an eye on this thread ... I'll update the https://www.pinterest.com/librivox/ account to match. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hey, just found this discussion and saw the Twitter page. I stumbled across the Librivox podcast page the other day, https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/librivox-audiobooks/id82881088?mt=2, and the image there looks pretty good. Far better than the tunnel effect!

Also, on the Apple App Store, I ran across a Librivox podcast site with thousands of our titles, but not sure it is run by LV. All of our actual book covers appear next to each book announcement? It is really beautiful. Could that happen on the Twitter feed instead of the same image repeated?
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

That is nice, though I don't think you can do it on Twitter without attaching images, which takes some time.
Hello! Newly graduated and occasional Librivox contributor.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I tweet all new releases. I suppose, if the cover image is available upon cataloguing, I could add it as an image. I'll think about it, but as always, it's a matter of how much time to spend on peripheral things, which could be better spent elsewhere.

Ruth
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

RuthieG wrote:I tweet all new releases. I suppose, if the cover image is available upon cataloguing, I could add it as an image. I'll think about it, but as always, it's a matter of how much time to spend on peripheral things, which could be better spent elsewhere.

Ruth
Wow, must be a lot of work, typing all new releases...
msfry

Post by msfry »

RuthieG wrote:I tweet all new releases. I suppose, if the cover image is available upon cataloguing, I could add it as an image. I'll think about it, but as always, it's a matter of how much time to spend on peripheral things, which could be better spent elsewhere.

Ruth
I'd love to help decorate our public pages and do not consider it the least bit unimportant to make ourselves look great everywhere we can. But there is no need to limit ourselves to just what you have time for. Please show me how and I'll gladly volunteer. Most cover images aren't available upon cataloguing, though. Would it be a problem to wait a few days to tweet until they are available?
Cori

Post by Cori »

msfry wrote:Also, on the Apple App Store, I ran across a Librivox podcast site with thousands of our titles, but not sure it is run by LV. All of our actual book covers appear next to each book announcement? It is really beautiful. Could that happen on the Twitter feed instead of the same image repeated?
To be over-literal, the same image is repeated because it's our avatar. So no, that can't be changed with each post. What Ruth is suggesting is adding in a picture link, which may show inline under the text. https://twitter.com/EmergencyPuppy is an example of a twitter feed that does this. :D However, it depends on readers' browsers or app as to whether this shows up. I personally find so many large images annoying, and I don't much like the website for that reason ... people force me to look at their pictures in amongst the text I want to read. I don't mind so much if it's in a single feed, but mixed in with conversations, it gets a bit overwhelming. Plus pictures use up some of the characters available in a tweet, so it may not be possible to fit long book titles in, or anything descriptive. Still, other people like pics -- EmergencyPuppy has half a million followers, so they're clearly doing something right. ;)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Oh, of course, images do use up available characters. That's a no-no, then. It is hard enough to fit it all in anyway. :)

Ruth
msfry

Post by msfry »

RuthieG wrote:Oh, of course, images do use up available characters. That's a no-no, then. It is hard enough to fit it all in anyway. :)

Ruth
I see, and agree.