Project: Link Wikipedia pages to LibriVox recordings

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Added links to:

b366 - The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
b1407 - Raggedy Ann Stories by Johnny Gruelle
b845 - Hart Times by Charles Dickens
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Help! I've never done anything like this project before and I want and need your help. If you have the time to read this first post, please help me make it better by letting me know how. Is something important left out? Is something confusing? Should this or that be modified? Could additional helpful links be added? Anything. Please post your suggestions in this thread or message me, OK? Because I really need your help!
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Kangaroo san,

Thank you for your report. I've updated the database.
Please check http://ekzemplaro.org/librivox/catalog/

I just seached books, whose title carry 'Aesop'.
And I notieced there's an Aesop book, which you haven't reported.
b7794 Aesop for Children
Actually this book's status is '1'.

Cheers,
Masa
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello,
TriciaG wrote:
ekzemplaro wrote:
mahne wrote:this is true for all Upanishads, the search term is in fact "prasna+upanishad", but the search pops up this group. I think it's supposed to be a feature
I see. Let's wait somebody find out a solution.
If a project is in a group, a search will return the group. It's not just this specific set of projects, but all groupings that behave like this.
One of the solutions is to give a direct link insead of 'Search'.
Another solution is to fix the 'Search API'.
If you search Prasna Upanishad at http://ekzemplaro.org/librivox/catalog/, it gives one result.

Can somebody check the status the following books?
b9660 Chandogya Upanishad
b9770 Kena Upanishad

Cheers,
Masa

Cheers,
Masa
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My suggestion would be to just ignore the Upanishad's until they are all finished , there are plenty of other ones to get done.

Anne
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Subject: Project: Link Wikipedia pages to LibriVox recordings
ekzemplaro wrote:Hello,
TimoleonWash wrote:let LibriVox user ekzemplaro know because ekzemplaro is the keeper of the un-official list of LibriVox recordings that has been updated to indicate wether there is a link from the associated Wikipedia page or not: (http://ekzemplaro.org/librivox/catalog/
The format of the list is like this.
https://github.com/ekzemplaro/librivox_database/blob/master/ext/wikipedia/wiki.txt

The meaning of the column wiki is as follows.
-1 ---> Not checked yet.
0 ---> Checked. No link to Wikipedia
1 --> Checked. Exists link to Wikipedia.
2 --> Checked. Exists link to Wikipedia plus exists link from Wikipedia.
For the moment please report only the status '2' to the forum.

Cheers,
Masa
Hi ekzemplaro,

Now that the project has been running a while I believe there is a clear need for an additional status, that is, a status that indicates there IS a link from wikipedia to LibriVox, but there ISN'T a link from LibriVox to wikipedia. Perhaps a status=3 to indicate this? So far, when links to wikipedia are missing folks have read this forum and taken note of this and updated the LibriVox page. This many not always happen and there is no telling how long this might take. If we had a new status, like #3 I mentioned, this knowledge would be recorded and not lost.

What do you think?
Tim
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

One of the solutions is to give a direct link instead of 'Search'.
But if someone else records their version, the link will only go to the one version. That's why we link to the search. I think web surfers are sophisticated enough to realize they can click on that "Upshinads" search result to get to the work they're looking for. :)
Now that the project has been running a while I believe there is a clear need for an additional status, that is, a status that indicates there IS a link from wikipedia to LibriVox, but there ISN'T a link from LibriVox to wikipedia. Perhaps a status=3 to indicate this? So far, when links to wikipedia are missing folks have read this forum and taken note of this and updated the LibriVox page. This many not always happen and there is no telling how long this might take. If we had a new status, like #3 I mentioned, this knowledge would be recorded and not lost.
How important is it that all catalog pages with possible Wikipedia links are linked to Wikipedia? What if for some reason, I choose NOT to link my project to the corresponding Wikipedia page?

Hmmm. I think I woke up in a contrary mood this morning, LOL!
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Reporting Links:

Status=2 Links both ways:
b304 On Liberty John Stuart Mill
b868 Utilitarianism John Stuart Mill
b1940 The Subjection of Women John Stuart Mill
b1080 Essays on Some Unsettled Questions of Political Economy John Stuart Mill
b6608 Considerations on Representative Government John Stuart Mill

No wikipedia page, so no links either way: STATUS=0
b1436 Three Essays on Religion John Stuart Mill
b2850 Autobiography John Stuart Mill
b6955 Auguste Comte and Positivism John Stuart Mill
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

TriciaG wrote:How important is it that all catalog pages with possible Wikipedia links are linked to Wikipedia? What if for some reason, I choose NOT to link my project to the corresponding Wikipedia page?

Hmmm. I think I woke up in a contrary mood this morning, LOL!
Not at all contrary, only curious I reckon :roll: :P

I don't know how important this link is. I thought it was part of the LibriVox Project Completion process though. I think it is a nice feature of LibriVox to have easy links to the text of the book, and the encyclopedia articles on the author and book. Is this link not a part of the normal project completion process?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It is part of the template, yes, but I as an MC don't check to make sure that a book has a Wikipedia link, if the BC doesn't supply it in the template.
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

TriciaG wrote:It is part of the template, yes, but I as an MC don't check to make sure that a book has a Wikipedia link, if the BC doesn't supply it in the template.
Hey TriciaG, I just re-read the wiki page on Project Template @ http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Project_Template_Generator, and found this text:

"Link to book on wikipedia: If there is a wikipedia page for this book, enter the link here."

I have seen many LibriVox book pages that have links to wikipedia author pages as well as their book pages. How does this wikipedia-author link get created?

Also, I found some outdated instructions on the page @ http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_To_Become_A_Book_Coordinator. How is the wiki updated?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

TimoleonWash wrote:
TriciaG wrote:It is part of the template, yes, but I as an MC don't check to make sure that a book has a Wikipedia link, if the BC doesn't supply it in the template.
Hey TriciaG, I just re-read the wiki page on Project Template @ http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Project_Template_Generator, and found this text:

"Link to book on wikipedia: If there is a wikipedia page for this book, enter the link here."

I have seen many LibriVox book pages that have links to wikipedia author pages as well as their book pages. How does this wikipedia-author link get created?
By the author info you put in the template. If it's an existing author, the Wikipedia link should already be in the author database. If it's a new author, the reader puts in the Wikipedia link when they set up the new author.
Also, I found some outdated instructions on the page @ http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_To_Become_A_Book_Coordinator. How is the wiki updated?
Are you mostly referring to the links to the MW instructions? I've updated the page and those links. It should be OK now. The wiki is updated by people telling us what needs updating. :)
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

TriciaG wrote:
TimoleonWash wrote:

By the author info you put in the template. If it's an existing author, the Wikipedia link should already be in the author database. If it's a new author, the reader puts in the Wikipedia link when they set up the new author.
Are you mostly referring to the links to the MW instructions? I've updated the page and those links. It should be OK now. The wiki is updated by people telling us what needs updating. :)
I love learning from you TriciaG :9: And I'm beginning to get it. When I read LibriVox's wiki I saw the text mentioned about about the book link, but I don't remember seeing the text about adding a new author in LibriVox's database. Is this on another page?

The outdated instructions might be the verbiage describing what needs to be put into the ID fields, title, author, etc. I was told recently that these tag-fields do not need to be populated any more. Is this the current case?

Also, I would hate to lose ekzemplaro's catalog file on his personal website for whatever reason. Is there any way a LibriVox copy could be kept wherever LibriVox keeps it's permanent data?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll answer a few of these backwards - Masa has known from the start that we can not change anything about the software at present and do not know when we will be able . So it is impossible to do anything with a dynamic list - he could save a copy of the listing in the wiki but it would be out of as soon as it was done - and having had to maintain the M4B "catalogue" in the wiki for a number of years - it is a lot of work.

The adding of authors is done in the new project template or by admins - so it isn't mention in the general wiki - no point

The "Links" on the catalogue page consist of
Internet Archive link - which is always there
Any others are added if they exist at the time it is catalogued
Online text - which is nearly always there
Wikipedia Author and book
M4B
And anything else that the coordinators thing contribute to the project
So not having anything but the Archive link is valid

We have a variety of projects - one size does not fit all.

My suggestion is that you all stick to what this project was about , adding links at Wikipedia to LV projects . If you continually diversify it will never get done . Consider it your prime directive

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The adding of authors is done in the new project template or by admins - so it isn't mention in the general wiki - no point
Well, it is sorta mentioned here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Project_Template_Generator
"If the author or the author’s pseudonym is not in the list, fill in the fields with as much information as you know."