Project: Link Wikipedia pages to LibriVox recordings

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You mean the xx or NTxx number ? starting Genesis 01 ? I'll have a look - I'm not a bible scholar

Anne
Thought so - it's of "doubtful status" so doesn't have one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Judith
carteki

Post by carteki »

Following on from the previous post about a number that links the same books across different versions - these books aren't picked up when using the search on those numbers:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58349 - still recording, so possibly will happen later?
http://librivox.org/song-of-solomon-youngs-literal-translation/ (Should be Book 22)
http://librivox.org/the-books-of-nahum-habakkuk-zephaniah-and-haggai-ylt/
http://librivox.org/the-books-of-zechariah-and-malachi-ylt-mp/
Not sure how to "connect" these books. Currently the search term is on the book's name and since they are reasonably unique to the bible there aren't non-biblical references for the keywords

briefly - http://librivox.org/the-song-of-solomon/ is showing a genre of *Non-fiction where all the other books in the ASV are showing Bible.

I finished linking and testing the links for the Catholic and Protestant Old Testament (I learnt that there are differences!) on Wikipedia with the exception of Judith above. So no real need to test the link back to Librivox for those texts.

Regards
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've changed Judith's DB entry to "Bible (DRV) Apocrypha/Deuterocanon: Book of Judith". You should be able to find all the Judiths using a search of something like "Apocrypha Judith".

I'll do the same to the DRV Tobit.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
carteki

Post by carteki »

TriciaG wrote:I've changed Judith's DB entry to "Bible (DRV) Apocrypha/Deuterocanon: Book of Judith". You should be able to find all the Judiths using a search of something like "Apocrypha Judith".

I'll do the same to the DRV Tobit.
Thank you. I'll updated the Wikipedia search term.
carteki

Post by carteki »

I've updated the spreadsheet using a download dated 4 Dec. There are 3 sheets...
1) books to change status to 3
2) books to change status to 0
3) books where I have questions / stuff on Librivox catalog pages needs to be updated.

Questions:
1) How do I set up a search that incorporates keywords, rather than the title? See the post re: Apocrypha Judith above or on Genre's?
2) Some of the bible references go directly to the individual books, others go to the "series". This depends on how they were set up initially I assume. This is a particularly good search result https://librivox.org/search?title=NT+01%3A+Matthew&author=&reader=&keywords=&genre_id=0&status=all&project_type=either&recorded_language=&sort_order=catalog_date&search_page=1&search_form=advanced that shows not only individual chapters as well as where related chapters occur in a short story collection. The "lump series'" are still at the bottom of the page.
Is it possible to put together an instruction on how to name chapters that come from the bible?

Anon
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Is it possible to put together an instruction on how to name chapters that come from the bible?
Are you referring to our database ? If so there is one. The MC is responsible for naming them correctly so it works in our system . Like everything else at LV , the fact that all bibles are not the same and all projects are not the same means decisions have to be made at times which may not fit optional extras like wiki and covers and M4Bs and apps etc but our top priority is always our catalogue and our search .

Anne

Maybe I should expand . The bible groups are intendedd to include complete books - not extracts . So the fact that someone decided to include a psalm in the Christmas collection or a poetry collection , or read one as a weekly poem will not mean that collection is included in the KJV group nor should it be.
The groups also help make the search results more useful. With the bible for example without the groups a serach on bible that gives the various versions is more useful that a multipage result listing however many books of the bible we have in the catalogue .
mahne

Post by mahne »

Hi,

I think, Carteki is asking for a set of instructions that will be given to all future MC/BC/Soloist who are doing bible books, such things that would be helpful in terms of searchability (both through Wiki and our search):
  1. Have the word Bible as first word of the title
  2. If there is an acronym used for your version of the bible, place it second in parentheses, e.g. (ASV) or (KJV)
  3. Try to avoid grouping more than 1 book into a section
  4. If you definitely want to group, try writing all the book titles into the title
  5. If there is a number to that book, use it, if you grouped, write all of the numbers, not e.g. 01-03 but 01, 02, 03
Is there already s.th. like that?
Here a few examples of what can happen if you don't do that:
TCNT
Anyone searching for e.g. Galatians, Ephesians will not find this Bible version

WEB
This is completely recorded, but mostly in here and here, therefore any search on OT and most NT books will not lead to this Bible version

Fenton
E.g. searches for Leviticus or Joel will not find this Bible version

Cheers
mahne
all covers made by mahne, constructive criticism appreciated
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hmm - I've changed the one that was "The Bible" to "Bible"
I'll take the rest on notice, it doesn't seem a problem to me but others may think differently.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I'm sorry if this isn't quite the right thread to post in - please feel free to move it if it isn't.

My question is this: is it possible, or better, to post here or on Wikipedia about creating new links to author pages (rather than specific books)?

Some of the authors I've started recording have Wikipedia pages but have no link to LV in the 'external links' section at the bottom of the page. Even if there are not many sections of any given author's work, I would like to make them more visible (or audible!) by letting readers know that there are audiobooks of their work. Should new-to-Wikipedia authors go in a separate thread? Is it easier for me simply to join Wikipedia and suggest links there?
-Erin
carteki

Post by carteki »

Right place to post. So on the Author page you'll post a link to the relevant works on librivox. The "search term" is:
Which is entered in the External Links section under "edit source"
* {{librivox book | author=xxxx}}
On the relevant book page the "search text" is
* {{librivox book | title=xxxx | author=xxxx}}

I then go to "preview" and right click/open link in new page to test it before saving the change.

Kim
mahne

Post by mahne »

Actually the template for authors looks like this:

{{librivox author|id=xxx}}
with id being the numerical id the author has with LibriVox. (see here for elaborate info on this template)

You can do that yourself (even without an account there), or if you don't want to, you can post the authors here so we can add the links.

Cheers
mahne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Do we have an agreement with Wikipedia about linking authors to LV works ? At one stage we didn't and we don't want to reach a stage where someone just deletes the lot - which has happened before .

Anne
mahne

Post by mahne »

Difficult to say if we have an understanding with wikipedia as everyone can work there.
But we have now 4092 author pages linked to our LV author pages,
and we have 988 times used the librivox book template (mostly from the books page to 1 or several versions at LV) and both numbers are only increasing.
The fact that we have a template for both these links is a big plus.

But we need to use them proper, I have seen someone add a librivox book template link on an author page,
that change was reverted the same day.

Cheers
mahne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Thank you very much! I've created a Wikipedia account (which I ought to have done before now anyway) and linked the first writer to her LV page, and I'm pleased with how well that seems to have worked.

I'll only link one author per day or every other day, if that will make it look more like a real human who likes LV is making the changes.

-Erin
carteki

Post by carteki »

Newgatenovelist wrote: I'll only link one author per day or every other day, if that will make it look more like a real human who likes LV is making the changes.

-Erin
No need to worry - I got a warning on my first day, but after my 3rd I wasn't even being asked to enter in a catchpa phrase. And that was editing just about every book in the bible's page!