Project: Link Wikipedia pages to LibriVox recordings

Non-reading activities need your help too!
mahne

Post by mahne »

Problems found on catalog pages:

b9701 Prasna Upanishad (catalog page: https://librivox.org/prasna-upanishad-by-unknown/)
Link to wikipedia book page is missing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prashna_Upanishad

b9688 The Charge of the light Brigade (catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-charge-of-the-light-brigade-by-alfred-lord-tennyson/)
Link to wikipedia goes to the page of the historical event, but there exists a wiki page for the poem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade_%28poem%29

Cheers
mahne

- - - - -

EDIT: Catalog pages updated.

David O
all covers made by mahne, constructive criticism appreciated
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

ekzemplaro wrote:Hello Timoleon san,

Thank you for the report.
TimoleonWash wrote:b741
This should be b714.

I updated the status for the 4 books.

Cheers,
Masa
I've got to be more careful. Good catch again. Boy am I glad I included the titles in my post but I bet you'd have caught it anyway.
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello mahne san,

Thank you for the report. The satus are updated.
mahne wrote:b9701 Prasna Upanishad (catalog page: https://librivox.org/prasna-upanishad-by-unknown/)
Link to wikipedia book page is missing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prashna_Upanishad
The link from Wikipedia is to 'Upanishad' instead of 'Prasna Upanishad'. I think this should be changed.
mahne wrote:b9688 The Charge of the light Brigade (catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-charge-of-the-light-brigade-by-alfred-lord-tennyson/)
Link to wikipedia goes to the page of the historical event, but there exists a wiki page for the poem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade_%28poem%29
As of now this is not fixed yet. The link is not to the poem page.

Cheers,
Masa
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

ekzemplaro wrote:Hello mahne san,

Thank you for the report. The satus are updated.
mahne wrote:b9688 The Charge of the light Brigade (catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-charge-of-the-light-brigade-by-alfred-lord-tennyson/)
As of now this is not fixed yet. The link is not to the poem page.

Cheers,
Masa
Masa,

The catalog page contains the link for the poem followed by the link for the event. The Wikipedia book link points to the poem.

David O
mahne

Post by mahne »

ekzemplaro wrote:The link from Wikipedia is to 'Upanishad' instead of 'Prasna Upanishad'. I think this should be changed.
Hello Masa-san,

this is true for all Upanishads, the search term is in fact "prasna+upanishad", but the search pops up this group. I think it's supposed to be a feature :) .

Cheers
mahne
all covers made by mahne, constructive criticism appreciated
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

How will we know if this pilot project has passed muster and should become a full-fledged LibriVox Volunteer project?
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Cori

Post by Cori »

It's already a full-fledged Volunteer project. :D

If you mean, when can it be automated, then there are a number of factors involved, and it isn't simply down to whether it's a good idea or not. Personally, I'd suggest it ran for a year or two first -- that's how the majority of changes have worked here before they become a formal part of the system.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Cori wrote:It's already a full-fledged Volunteer project. :D

If you mean, when can it be automated, then there are a number of factors involved, and it isn't simply down to whether it's a good idea or not. Personally, I'd suggest it ran for a year or two first -- that's how the majority of changes have worked here before they become a formal part of the system.
Good points. I don't know much about the inner workings of LibriVox. Running it for a few years is OK with me also.

With the introduction of this thread some experience has been gained, knowledge passed around and a lot of links created. Some new things that came up have been incorporated in the process and the wikipedia link is proven.

I was thinking about creating a new thread without the term "Pilot project" in the title. If we leave this thread around for any length of time I think the term pilot would be unhelpful; misleading at best, or worse, indicating a failure.

I was also hoping an experienced LibriVoxer would edit and improve the text in the first post in this new thread, as well as take ownership of this project and shepherd it along.

Finally, would a thread on these wikipedia links ever be glued, or skickied at the top of the forum?
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

TimoleonWash wrote:I was also hoping an experienced LibriVoxer would edit and improve the text in the first post in this new thread, as well as take ownership of this project and shepherd it along.
I'm not sure you would call me experienced but I do have some coordinating experience, and I would love to shepherd this project along.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Links added/replaced to the following wiki pages: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Five Children and It, The Secret Agent, The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle, The Road to Oz, A Christmas Carol, Aesop's Fables, Treasure Island, The Secret Garden, The Velveteen Rabbit, The Wind in the Willows, Gettysburg Address, Magna Carta, and Black Beauty.

I'm a little confused... what is Ekzemplaro's page for, what do the names in the middle column mean (like TimoleonWash or Mahne) do you claim to do certain pages, or do you do it without claiming?
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello David san,
dlolso21 wrote:The catalog page contains the link for the poem followed by the link for the event. The Wikipedia book link points to the poem.
You are right. The status is changed from '2X' to '2'.
I feel we need to standarization. Some pages show just 'Wikipedia'. Another pages show 'Wikipedia Book'.
I checked the last 'Wikipedia'.

Hello mahne san,
mahne wrote:this is true for all Upanishads, the search term is in fact "prasna+upanishad", but the search pops up this group. I think it's supposed to be a feature
I see. Let's wait somebody find out a solution.

Hello Kangaroo san,
Kangaroo692 wrote:The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Five Children and It, The Secret Agent, The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle, The Road to Oz, A Christmas Carol, Aesop's Fables, Treasure Island, The Secret Garden, The Velveteen Rabbit, The Wind in the Willows, Gettysburg Address, Magna Carta, and Black Beauty.
Can you report with Book IDs to avoid mistakes?
You can find the Book ID at http://ekzemplaro.org/librivox/catalog/
Like follows,
b332 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz -1
b2440 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz -1
b5827 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz -1
b6373 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz -1
b380 Five Children and It -1
b5373 Five Children and It -1
Cheers,
Masa
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I have done the following links:

b175 - A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
b200 - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
b174 - Journey to the Interior of the Earth by Jules Verne
b188 - If by Rudyard Kipling
b375 - Grimms' Fairy Tales by Jacob & Wilhelm Grimm
b355 - The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum
b222 - O Captain! My Captain! by Walt Whitman
b696 - Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
b225 - Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake
b146 - Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Here are the numbers for the ones I've done already:

b332 - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
b380 - Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit
b406 - The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad
b624 - The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
b402 - The Road to Oz by L. Frank Baum
b140 - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
b353, b360, b193, b194, b195, b196, b197, b198, b199, b356, b357, b359 - Aesop's Fables Collectionss
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I've done the following:
b594 - From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne
b1127 - Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon by Jules Verne
b2024 - Five Weeks in a Balloon by Jules Verne
b2894 and b8221 - The Adventures of Captain Hatteras by Jules Verne
b1416 - An Antarctic Mystery by Jules Verne
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

TimoleonWash wrote: I was thinking about creating a new thread without the term "Pilot project" in the title. If we leave this thread around for any length of time I think the term pilot would be unhelpful; misleading at best, or worse, indicating a failure.
I think yet another thread would be confusing at best. I edited the subject line of this one to serve the purpose.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ekzemplaro wrote:
mahne wrote:this is true for all Upanishads, the search term is in fact "prasna+upanishad", but the search pops up this group. I think it's supposed to be a feature
I see. Let's wait somebody find out a solution.
If a project is in a group, a search will return the group. It's not just this specific set of projects, but all groupings that behave like this.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart