Podcast 140: LibriVox helps!

Non-reading activities need your help too!
JohnNDaily

Post by JohnNDaily »

Hello all; the new newb here! Carolin suggested I consider recording something for this, as I discovered LibriVox after unexpected eye surgery. Just wanted to let you know I'll definitely have something for it, but it won't be until tomorrow morning (if that's not too late). Cheers!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi, John and thanks for your offer :thumbs: (and thanks to you, Caroline, too).
Don't worry- I'll be extending the deadline anyway.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Oh yes, please expand the deadline. I'd love to contribute one or maybe even two stories. I was very busy last week and will be even more busy next week because of exactly where LV helped me. A deadline after the first November weekend would be great.
JohnNDaily

Post by JohnNDaily »

I hope this is worthy. Thanks for letting me participate!
https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/podcast_librivoxhelps_jnd_128kb.mp3
2:21 (including 5 secs of silence at end)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks, John :thumbs:

I extend the deadline until November 4. On Nov 5 I should have a bit more time than usual and I hope I'll be able to use it to put the whole together.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
JohnNDaily

Post by JohnNDaily »

Piotrek81 wrote:I extend the deadline until November 4. On Nov 5 I should have a bit more time than usual and I hope I'll be able to use it to put the whole together.
I'd respectfully suggest you change the deadline in the OP as well; I know if I stumbled upon it a day later, I'd move on to another project.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

JohnNDaily wrote:I'd respectfully suggest you change the deadline in the OP as well; I know if I stumbled upon it a day later, I'd move on to another project.
Good catch :thumbs: I changed the deadline in the opening post.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Here is my contribution.
https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/librivox_helps_hok.mp3

Well, you know, when you are addicted to LV you do LV things even if you have much more important things to do. :oops:

I talk about two completely different thing, so maybe you want to split it. I gave you two different intros for the second bit. Cut away what you don't need. And somehow I got to talk about Legamus. Please feel free to cut this out if you think it is not OK.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks, Hokuspocus :thumbs:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

yayy for an extension on the deadline! ill probably get my stuff recorded (and edited) tomorrow, though, the voice sounds normal again :)
Carolin
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hi Piotr,

not sure if you would want to include something in your podcast that was already in another podcast. There once was a very touching message from a listener here in the forum, a person with very bad health who couldn't even hold a book some times. The message was so special that someone (I think earthcalling/ David Barnes, but I'm not sure) read it for the podcast.

This was some years back and maybe it would be nice to dig it up and put it in for those who haven't been around back then.

Unfortunately I can't find, in which podcast it was.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can't give an example - emails to the help desk are confidential I feel , but it gets a number of requests to use a recording as part of a multi media production - usually for linited release things. I'm sure somewhere on the forum there are links that have been posted to some of these - maybe someone else can find them

Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

@Hokuspokus
I know that there was already was one installment of community podcast about thank-you messages. Maybe it was in this one. I'll go and check.

Anyway, it would be good if someone could read aloud some of these messages.

And, of course, you can still submit you stories :) I understand that I can freely quote the messages left at the forum? (There's one thread I started which I think has some interesting "useful skills learned at LV" posts).
J_N

Post by J_N »

I don't have anything to contribute, but I am happy to help out with recording some of the thank you messages, if you like... just let me know what you need :)

btw. I believe there are some LVers who have also become professional audiobook narrators (e.g. for audible). RuthieG, i think, is such an example... not sure if she monitors this part of the forum :)

It might be a good idea to make podcast announcments global?
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Cori

Post by Cori »

I don't know about making it global. :) Podcasts have always been a fun sideline here at LibriVox. I'd prefer Global threads to be saved for issues that are likely to affect most people.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!