Podcast 138 and 139: group projects vs solo recordings

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Recently I've been going through old community podcasts and the old "podcast planning thread" and noticed an - ultimately unused, I think- idea of a podcast about those two basic forms of projects. I'd like to follow up on that idea and put together a show about that.
As you can see I haven't called the thread "Podcast 138" because I don't know yet whether the theme will prove popular :) I hope it will and in such I case I'd be glad to produce something.

So if you feel like saying something, be it as a reader, as a proof-listener, or an MC (all the perspectives are welcome!) about this topic, don't hesistate to show your interest. (I hope an MC will be generous enough to loan me a place in their folder :) ).
Last edited by Piotrek81 on October 10th, 2014, 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Cori

Post by Cori »

My folder's always available for podcasts. And ... ahum ... it isn't full of other projects to confuse things. :lol:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Good idea, Piotrek! You may use my uploader folder, or isn't there a folder called "xx - nonproject"? You could use that. :)

EDIT: Cross-posted with Cori. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Bassaga

Post by Bassaga »

I would happily listen to a podcast on such a theme. Heck, if I'm feeling crazy, I might even make my first contribution.
So here's one vote for "Yes!"
"In this world... you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart; I recommend pleasant."
Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'm glad you like the idea. I think we could also add dramatic readings as the third component- they are a special case of group projects, after all. :)

Some questions that I can think of:
-which type of projects do you prefer to read/PL/MC? why?
-when you listen to LV audiobooks for fun, which type of projects do you go for?
-do you agree with the statements that doing a solo is a lonely work and how do you understand that phrase?

Of course, you can come up with something else entirely on the topic of "group or solo" . If you have other ideas for possible contributions don't hesistate to record. If you don't want to record, you can leave you suggestion here-maybe someone else will be happy to use it.

Let's see how much we can get until September 17
Please, upload your contributions to Cori's MC folder.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Piotrek81 wrote:Some questions that I can think of:
-which type of projects do you prefer to read/PL/MC? why?
-when you listen to LV audiobooks for fun, which type of projects do you go for?
-do you agree with the statements that doing a solo is a lonely work and how do you understand that phrase?
I think I'm in an odd minority, in that I prefer listening to group-read projects more than solos.
It's always been a custom in my family to read aloud, passing a book around by chapters --
Something about the sound of so many various alternating voices on LV group projects always strikes me as comfortably home-like and familiar.

As a reader, I enjoy group projects more, for something of the same reason.
I've begun doing some solos, just because I've understood that most listeners prefer them,
but it does feel odd to read aloud chapter after chapter all by myself, without anyone else to hand off the book to!

If I can think of some words to say on that subject before the 17th, I'll get them to you.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I sat down, typed out a response, and recorded it, all within about 30 minutes. So this probably isn't the most in depth analysis of the topic, but use it as you like.

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/podcast_sologroup_triciag.mp3
3:54
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks for your contribution, Tricia :)

If you manage to find some time, commonsparrow, I'll be happy to receive your contribution. :)
smike

Post by smike »

I'd like to contribute in some way. Haven't done that before, so not sure what it takes. :)
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Great, Claudia :thumbs: Just record what you have to say about the topic -you don't have to put the disclaimer or outro- and upload it to Cori's folder.
smike

Post by smike »

Cheers, Piotre, will do. :thumbs:
Claudia

smike

Post by smike »

Here's my contribution to use as you see fit:

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/podcast_138_smike.mp3

Duration: 6:26
Claudia

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thank you, Claudia :)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Maybe someone could say something about the setting up and looking after a dramatic reading? (the work that in involves, the advantages and possible disadvantages compared to straight group projects and solos, etc.)? :)
You're also free to talk about the other two types too, of course. The more contributions there are, the more varied the perspective.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's my "Dramatic readings are not for me" contribution: :lol:
https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/podcast_sologroup_triciag2.mp3