Podcast 138 and 139: group projects vs solo recordings

Non-reading activities need your help too!
J_N

Post by J_N »

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/p138_jn.mp3 4:53

feel free to use none of it :mrgreen:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks for the prompt response, Tricia
Thank you for your contribution, Julia :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, Piotr--Great topic for this podcast! Here is a very quick thought or two from the perspective of a reader. Feel free to edit any way that you wish if you decide to use it. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/podcast138_lb.mp3
2:14
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks for your contribution, Lucretia :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Last edited by commonsparrow3 on September 14th, 2014, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks, Maria :thumbs:
There's still some time left until the deadline, so I'll be happy to accept further contributions :)
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

When I saw this... I couldn't resist! I had to join in, ever since I've listened to some other LV podcasts recently, I've wanted to be a part of them!!! When I saw this, I made it work to do something on why I do like dramatics!!! It's short, and probably not all that good... use what you like.

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/podcast_sologroup_trotsa.mp3

One problem I had with it was weird, let me know if it doesn't work for you, I'll try to check back in on LV to get your response. When I listened to it in audacity, it was clear, but as soon as I exported it as MP3, it sounded like it had air hitting the mic or something... :hmm: I'm hoping it was just some problem with my headphones, but if you can hear it too, I can try to fix it. (not sure what I would do though)

Thanks for doing this, it's wonderful to be able to help on a podcast!!! :9:
Trotsa

[/size]I am an imperfect person loved by a PERFECT God.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Good to know I helped you realise your ambition :)
As for the recording itself, I can't hear any problems with the quality, so there's no need to re-do anything. :thumbs:
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Great! I leave it in your capable hands. I can't wait to listen to the podcast!!!
Trotsa

[/size]I am an imperfect person loved by a PERFECT God.
Bassaga

Post by Bassaga »

Here's some babbling from me, if you find any of it useful.

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/podcast138_jk.mp3
7:38
"In this world... you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart; I recommend pleasant."
Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks for all the contributions, people :thumbs:

As September 17 is over I'll start to prepare the podcast now. If the project 8000 is catalogued soon and a person involved in it is willing to send a short contribution devoted to it I'll be very happy to accept it, but otherwise no further contributions will be accepted. Thanks once again for your cooperation :D
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi, Here's my contribution including reflections on recording the 8000th work.

duration 4.06

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/podcast138_dw.mp3

I'm including here the text of the recording in case it might make editing easier:

One of the things I like most about recording works for librivox, whether fiction or non-fiction, is the peek into another world, another place and time. Written before 1923, sometimes subtly and sometimes in ways that hit you in the face, a different worldview reveals itself. These are people who haven’t lived through the second horrific world war (and often not even the first), the holocaust, the threat of nuclear annihilation, techno-terrorism, modern communication, tv, the internet, antibiotics and modern surgery, and so much more. Sometimes that worldview is refreshing (a trust in progress and the perfectibility of the human), sometimes it’s appalling (the almost unconscious racism and anti-semitism). But it’s always interesting and thought-provoking. Maybe if we remember our past we won’t repeat it.
I really quite enjoyed reading Invention and Discovery, Curious Facts And Characteristic Sketches, written anonymously sometime in the mid-nineteenth century. It is a collection of miscellaneous blurbs from countless sources, seemingly on any subject great or small that struck the editor’s interest. Sometimes the science is howlingly wrong; electricity does not run through a wire faster than the speed of light. Sometimes we get a view of relationships we might never have guessed, for example, the devotion and contribution of Caroline Herschel to her brother William Herschel’s astronomical discoveries and telescopic technology. Some other topics chosen at random: Babbage’s calculating machine, Cuvier and Napoleon, electrifying machine in Persia, navigation before the compass, Christopher Wren’s destruction of the ruins of Old St Paul’s Cathedral in London, strychnine a remedy for paralysis, a watch melted by lightning, the world in a drop of water, and hundreds more. I don’t think one would want to listen to the whole book at one sitting, but because I recorded the work in approximately 30-minute segments, it’s easy to dip into a few now and then. I hope folks enjoy listening to Invention and Discovery as much as I enjoyed recording it.
Although I enjoy occasionally contributing to group projects (especially when something is tantalizingly close to completion), I usually record solo. That’s probably because I am a big-time control freak. I like the idea of being solely responsible for shaping the experience of the listener. Because I am a very strong introvert, I don’t find solo recording lonely but rather refreshing. Introverts need their alone time to be able to face the world. I like both fiction and non-fiction with a slight bias toward fiction; I like an author’s creation of an alternate reality. I enjoy trolling through projectgutenberg.org because one comes upon the most amazing stuff, sort of like walking down the physical aisles of a library. On the other hand, it can be a frustrating exercise: so many books, so little time! The human mind is astounding.
When I choose something to listen to, I usually choose solo works, too. Because I have some hearing loss, it’s easier to become accustomed to one voice (intonation, pronunciation, phrasing, etc) than to many. But the controlling factor is my interest in the work itself. And I do find fascinating different readers’ styles and vocal creations. Librivox volunteers are an amazing group. I am so glad I found such a group to work with, valuing similar intellectual ideals.
Peace, David
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Here's a contribution - hope you can sneak it in:

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/podcast_sologroup_alp.mp3
7:25

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Poitre,
Have you seen this thread? viewtopic.php?f=24&t=53594
Not sure if there are any useful ideas there for your transitions between contributors.
MaryAnn