Translating into Spanish/French

Non-reading activities need your help too!
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

Hi,

I would be happy to help translating into Spanish or French.

Cheers,
ananr
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

As far as I know, we don't have any need for translation. But thank you for the offer! 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

Thank you TriciaG.

I am a little surprised by your reply: as far as I know, most of the pages I have accessed in Librivox are in English. Nevertheless, I expect a site dealing with languages to be open to those languages and to allow access to all the people who like to read and listen in a specific language.
In addition, considering the prominence English is having in our globalized world, I do not think that perpetuating that situation in a language site is the best option.
Or else are there other reasons (technical, material, human) I am not aware of for that "lack of need"?
Thank you for your response.

Cheers,
AnaNR
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There are a few reasons; I'm not sure which are "official" and which are just my own thoughts, though. :)

- At this time, we don't have any resources to further develop the site. We have just come out of a major overhaul, and we ran out of money before we could finish it. So development resources would go towards finishing the overhaul before they'd go to internationalizing the site. (It seems like, if I recall correctly, displaying some of the main pages in other languages was on the task list, but it was further down than getting the site to work correctly.)

- The forum, as you can see, is mostly in English. The workflow system (uploader, new project launch form) can already be displayed in a few popular languages (English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, and Spanish - the 6 most popular languages in our catalog). We're trying! Projects in languages other than English often are communicated in the other language in the forum, although if there is no Italian-speaking admin, then some communication has to be in English.

I may have spoken too quickly; there might be wiki pages that could be translated into other languages in order to be more helpful to readers and listeners. If you see any that would be especially helpful, let us know and we can talk about it. :)

I guess, in summary, a lot of it depends on which area of the website you're talking about. The main catalog, workflow, and home page have the development problem. The forums seem to work well in other languages the way we have it now (and I don't know what the phpbb forum software has for translating others' posts). The wiki could probably use some translation, just like it could use some major updating in some areas. :roll:
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

Thank you for your reply.

Although major pages can not be translated now due to financial problems (which I hope will soon disappear so translation becomes possible), I definitely think that the Wiki pages should be translated in as many languages as possible (I can only do French and Spanish, though), according to the languages used in the readings. I will be happy to start with any wiki page, if that is possible, and hope that other people will volunteer themselves to do so.

By the way, is there some information about the type of organisation Librivox is (country, status, funding, etc.)? I would like to know with whom I am volunteering.

Thank you.

Cheers,
ananr
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

By the way, is there some information about the type of organisation Librivox is (country, status, funding, etc.)? I would like to know with whom I am volunteering.
Let's see. LibriVox isn't a legal entity. It's just a group of folks getting together to record audiobooks. It was founded by a Canadian, but the files are hosted at Archive.org in the States, so we follow US copyright law (plus, if someone is in another country, they should follow that country's copyright laws as well).

We have no legal status. Any monies donated to us go through Archive.org as a favor between founders. We are not under Archive's umbrella or control.

The Wikipedia page for LibriVox seems to sum it up nicely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Librivox
dumbo

Post by dumbo »

Hello there.

I' m also game for Wiki page translations.
If you need anny help, just ask.
Admins can open my profile to get my e-mail address.

@+
Philippe.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life (Confucius)
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

Bonjour Philippe,

Merci pour votre offre!
Malheureusement, comme l'année scolaire va bientôt commencer et que j'aurai peu de temps (outre quelques soucis de santé), je dois remettre tout travail de traduction au printemps/été prochains... (je travaille comme les saisonniers :). Mais ce sera avec plaisir que nous pourrions faire ce travail ensemble. Comme je le disais, je peux m'occuper tant du Français que de l'Espagnol.
N'hésitez pas à me recontacter d'ici là, ou alors je vous recontacterai moi-même.

Bien cordialement,
ananr
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I should like to say, however, that anyone willing can ask for a Wiki login and provide translations of Wiki pages into other languages. Please include your email address in your PM request for a Wiki account. You'll see, for instance, that the Guide to Recording has already been translated by volunteers into several other languages. It would be great if other pages could also be translated.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
dumbo

Post by dumbo »

Reply in French and English.

Bonjour Ananr, bonjour Ruth

Je comprends parfaitement que les "Actifs" ne sont pas dispo 24/24,
et que priorité doit être donnée a la vie familiale et professionnelle.

Etant retraite, mes autres activités me laissent assez de temps libre pour traduire des textes.

Je vous propose d' effectuer un premier jet de traduction des textes que les Admin souhaitent voir traduits,
puis de vous les soumettre pour correction.

Ainsi, votre peine serait divisée par deux et ce sera néanmoins un travail d' équipe.
Qu' en dites vous ?

Je dois vous préciser qu' une de mes activités passées était la traduction de livres techniques Anglais en Français.

Amitiés,
Philippe.

----------------

Hello Ananr, hello Ruth

I perfectly understand that those who have still got to go to work aren’t available 24/24
and that your priorities must be to your family and your profession.

Being retired, my other activities leave me enough time to translate texts.

How about if I carried out a first draft translation of texts that the Admins would like to see translated
and then submit them to you for proofreading.

In this way, your workload would be divided by two and the project would still be a team effort.
What say you ?

One of my earlier activities was translating technical books from English to French.

Philippe.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life (Confucius)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Personally, I am a bit over-committed at the moment, and I wouldn't have time for proof-reading and formatting them for the Wiki, but as I say, if you would like to translate and add Wiki pages, that would be great. For example, this page http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_LibriVox_Works has been translated into Portuguese, but no other languages as yet. This one hasn't been translated at all: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_to_Volunteer and there are many more.

I think the easiest way to do it, would be to click the Edit button on the page (once you have a Wiki account and are logged in) and then you could Ctrl+A to select the whole thing, formatting and all, and copy/paste into a word-processing document, and work on the translation in that. This would save having to do all the time-consuming Wiki formatting when you reach the stage of putting it in the Wiki.

Ruth
dumbo

Post by dumbo »

Hello Ruth

I’m afraid that I didn’t express myself correctly, didn’t make myself clear.

I wasn’t asking you to proofread any translation,
just suggesting to Anar that she proof reads if she has the time.

I’ll take a look at the links and copy the text into Word,
but I don’t know the first thing about Wiki accounts, Wiki editing, etc.

We’ll get to that later.

Have fun,
Philippe.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I appreciate that Wikis may be a closed book, but this is the point, really. If the text is just in Word format, it would then have to be formatted by someone else to add it to the Wiki, whereas if the already formatted version is used for the translation (by copying from the 'innards' of the Wiki) then it doesn't have to formatted again.

ETA However, if it isn't an option, then a translation will still be welcome, of course. We then just have to wait until someone else comes along to format it and add it to the Wiki.

This is the kind of thing I mean:

Just copying from the viewable text
Overview

LibriVox's objective is "To make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet."

There are three key ways to help.

Recording is easier, harder, and more fun than you'd think!
You'll need equipment (usually a $30-50 USB mic) and software (usually Audacity - free) and a computer and time. And an enjoyment of reading aloud to others. Everything created at LibriVox is given to the public domain.
Copying from the "Edit page"
''' Overview '''

LibriVox's objective is "To make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet."

There are three key ways to help.

* '''Recording''' is easier, harder, and more fun than you'd think! <br/> You'll need equipment (usually a $30-50 USB mic) and software (usually Audacity - free) and a computer and time. And an enjoyment of reading aloud to others. Everything created at LibriVox is given to the public domain.
All those * and ''' and <br/> are the formatting, already there. So once the translation is done, the whole thing can be copied straight into the Wiki. I should be happy to do that, but I haven't time to do all the * and ''' and <br /> again :lol:.

Ruth
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

Hi Ruth and Philippe,

As I said, I will soon become a little overworked with my regular job plus some health problems I have to deal with right now, but I should have occasionnaly some free time, so if Philippe wants to start translating that would be great; I will be happy to proof-read his work, although I am sure his French is better than mine... Conversely, I would like to ask him if he finds it a problem that I help him translating into French and if he can proof read my work.
I will start translating into Spanish as soon as I have the time.

Translating directly from the Wikis should save him/us time. What should I do to get rights in order to do so? And how would I know what pages have already been translated by Philippe in order to proof read them?

Thank you both,
ananr
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Just PM me with your email address, and I will set up a Wiki login for you, Ana. I think Philippe will have to post in this thread to say which pages he has done. :)

Thank you!

Ruth