Podcast #134&135 - BEFORE YOU PRESS RECORD: TIPS AND TRICKS

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'm so much the opposite, MaryAnn! By now, I'm so used to recording from the computer screen that even when I had to record from an actual book I first scanned the pages into the computer! :lol: (Then I transcribed it and sent it to gutenberg so the scanning wasn't all in vain ;) )
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Has anyone else got anything for me? C'mon people, there's only a week left. Tell me (and the rest of the community) how you prepare for recording :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
francesb

Post by francesb »

Umm I guess you need to make sure that you are in a comfy position, so you don't have to move around during the recording and make noise. 8-)
Frances Brown
“Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting" -John Green
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Um.... guys, you got it wrong.... You're not supposed to write your routines or tips here. I want you to record that and send the files to Cori's folder. You know, like with previous podcasts :mrgreen:
Anyway, it's past deadline and I have only one subimission :roll: You don't like the idea, or what?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
J_N

Post by J_N »

I do like the idea - I just don't think that there are that many unique ways one can prepare for a recording :hmm:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
francesb

Post by francesb »

Piotrek81 wrote:Um.... guys, you got it wrong.... You're not supposed to write your routines or tips here. I want you to record that and send the files to Cori's folder. You know, like with previous podcasts :mrgreen:
Anyway, it's past deadline and I have only one subimission :roll: You don't like the idea, or what?
Oh woops. :) I've never done a podcast. :lol:
Frances Brown
“Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting" -John Green
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

@francesb
Podcast is like a radio broadcast. The host first gathers subimissions from people in form of sound files, then arranges them into a structure, and finally, the whole thing is put on line.
The past Librivox podcast installments can be found here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LibrivoxCommunityPodcast
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Sorry, Piotr. I simply haven't had time to do anything. I don't suppose you are extending the deadline :? ?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I still want to do this podcast. How can do it with just 1 submission? :lol: Read: I am extending the deadline. Say, until September 20
J_N

Post by J_N »

Ok... here is my contribution... it's a bit all over the place, but here you go anyway: http://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/podcast_134_jn.mp3

I am not offended if nothing gets used :)

(unfortunately my cats decided to make several appearances :roll: they are such attention hogs :mrgreen: )
Last edited by J_N on September 7th, 2013, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Piotrek81 wrote:I still want to do this podcast. How can do it with just 1 submission? :lol: Read: I am extending the deadline. Say, until September 20
Hi Piotrek
Maybe you need to rethink your wants - podcasts are like projects, people may need a better summary , something that appeals to them , something they can say a bit more about
Lateral thinking is needed :D

Anne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

J_N wrote:(unfortunately my cats decided to make several appearances :roll: they are such attention hogs :mrgreen: )
:D In the podcast, that should be an excellent example of "taking care of your pets before recording"! :lol:
J_N

Post by J_N »

Rapunzelina wrote:
J_N wrote:(unfortunately my cats decided to make several appearances :roll: they are such attention hogs :mrgreen: )
:D In the podcast, that should be an excellent example of "taking care of your pets before recording"! :lol:
exactly... I even talk about this in my segment - and then the cats go and ruin it :lol:

Cori

Post by Cori »

Piotrek81 wrote:I still want to do this podcast. How can do it with just 1 submission? :lol:
:lol: And this is part of why the podcasts faded out, it's quite hard to get lots of people sending in bits and pieces even on an ad hoc basis, let alone enough for a weekly show. And it's possible to do a show more or less solo, Jim did some great ones, but then it's even more work in pulling together ideas!! :wink:

However, here are some things that used to work for me:

Pose a cliffhanger request! "Do you have 5 minutes for a secret recording mission? PM me for more info!" After all, we're recording audiobooks, not sharing bank details ... there's very risk here. And people can always say no once they find out what you're up to. Recruiting by PM also has the advantage that you can vary what you're asking for each time, so you don't end up with 10 people all saying "drink a glass of water before you start." :lol:

Make a same-day request! 20th Sept is ages away. Sounds good, I'll definitely do it in a week. Or maybe the day before. Oh, look, the dog ate my homework. :roll: Same-day, especially at the weekend, is easier -- either people can or they can't.

Research! We've discussed this a few times before. You could put together a 'highlights' script and ask for a volunteer to record that. It's very often easier to find someone to read something pre-written than having to come up with it themselves. (Certainly that's how it is for me.)

Demonstrate! I *love* before and after examples. And I've long been trying to work out whether the difference when I warm up, clean my teeth, drink water, etc. is in confidence and tone, or actually affects vocal quality. Over 7 years, I've not come to a firm conclusion. Too many variables. But, experiments are always fascinating listening.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Here's a thread that contains some relevant "tips and tricks" from librivoxers viewtopic.php?f=23&t=872
like, whether they read the text before recording, what they eat/drink, mike placement, etc