m4b problem with quicktime

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think that all the ones so far have been made on Mac's with Audio Builder (Nadine and Xenutia both used this)
The files all play properly on my mp3 player ( a baby iPod) and in iTunes so the problem seems to arise with Qucktime which seems to decide they are something else as far as dowloading - and I can't see any way to convince it otherwise.
But lets not embark on a massive "fixing" of a problem by changing the files it has so far only been reported by one person and Xenutia's files have been there since we only had about 100 files so we can afford to wait and search if there is a better solution.

Anne
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I have downloaded 2 from that list some time ago using a different computer that was running Windows XP; don't recall if it was using Firefox or IE. Thinking the problem lies with the computer programs (Windows, Firefox, or Quicktime). Will play with them some more...
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

On a quick google - it seems like it is quicktime - there were a number of questions about similar aspects.
but I think you need Quicktime to run iTunes.
It's a bit clunky and not much good as a long term solution but you could check the archive page and download from it . You would think Apple would manage to handle their format with their program wouldn't you.

Anne
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I played with a lot of settings and could not get Quicktime to stop opening until I disabled the Add On in Firefox. Then those files would download but they would do it automatically even if I set everything in the Firefox Options to "Always Ask". I did just notice that when it starts to download, the downloader shows the file as being Fearsome_Island_64kb.m4b.mp4 though the file name does not show the mp4 on the end.

EDIT: see explanation of this "mp4" thing a couple posts below.
Barry
My Recordings
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Ok, I got it to work now but the solution requires messing with some behind the scenes settings that could mess things up if people don't do it correctly.

Type about:config in the Firefox location bar (it will then open a page warning you to be careful)
Type ‘plugin’ in the filter box (minus quotes)
Look for ‘plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types’
If it already exists and contains a value, add ‘,video/mp4’ to the end of it, otherwise just change the value to ‘video/mp4’
Close this tab
In the Firefox pull down menus, go to Tools, Options, Applications
Scroll down to the MP4 Video and change it to always ask (or save file if you prefer)
Fully close Firefox, wait a few seconds for it to clean up and die
Launch Firefox again.. it should work now
Barry
My Recordings
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

In discussion with my son, the geek, who uses a Mac, he says that a Mac will hide the file extensions. So you could change the file to say it is an m4b but what you don't see is that the hidden file extension of mp4 is still there on the end. He just showed me on his Mac; you have to go into the file properties to actually see this. Soooo, those working on a Mac need to make sure they change the actual file extension, not just type ".m4b" onto the end of the file name. He also thought a script could possibly be written that could search through the existing files and remove all the .mp4 extensions from the "problem" files.
Barry
My Recordings
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Windows hides the file extensions, too. I was having a Dickens of a time trying to change one the other day!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

For reference, the wikipedia page on MPEG-4 and file extensions .m4a, .m4b, .m4r, .m4x .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

more info
All 3 (katdad too ) use a program called Audiobook Builder http://www.splasm.com/audiobookbuilder/ to create the M4Bs - so I don't think they name the files , I think the program does.

Anne

katdad uploaded over 300 projects
Xenutia about 100
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Aha, sorry I'm late in the discussion.

To clarify: I don't think Barry and I are having the same issue.
And I never renamed any file and I see the extension on the files on my mac (I configured it this way). So if some of the ones I did do not work, that is not the reason. Also, in the program I use (which is Audiobook builder, and works well), you choose the output format, and I set it to m4b, not m4a.

The problem I was having was with files I made as well as other people's files. Some books would restart at the right spot after I switched off my phone some days, but not the next. Some would always start at the right place, and some would always go back to start. I suspect now that the problem was whether or not I downloaded any applications or updates on my phone, then it would reset the book somehow. But I am not completely sure.

I never had problems downloading any files.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I don't think we finished up thinking you renamed anything - I think Barry's son felt it was a Mac thing and a qhicktime thing - which certainly seemed to be born out by the ones I knew had Mac's. Most don't use quicktime to listen so it seems to me something we will just have to accept. Maybe the next version of quicktime will handle things differently

Anne
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I just wanted to clarify, is all :)
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus