wikipedia - help wanted

Non-reading activities need your help too!
kayray

Post by kayray »

this is a "help wanted" post!

I need a volunteer who is comfortable with wikipedia to take on the small but important job of adding librivox links to appropriate wikipedia pages. I've been doing it but am too swamped with cataloging. We get LOTS of hits from wikipedia so we need to keep up with this.

You'll need to look through all our completed works, check the linked-to author page, and see if I've already added a link back to librivox in the "external links" area. And if I haven't, please add one :)

Once we're caught up, I can email you to let you know when a new work has been cataloged.

Please let me know if you want to take on this task for me!

Thanks,
kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

Kara, I will update Wikipedia, and post here when I am done. I think you have my email to send me when you post new books up, I will update all the Wikipedia links.

Brad
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oh thank you Brad! There aren't all THAT many that need to be done, but I can't remember which they are. Several of the poems, for sure. Sorry about that. Yes, I'll drop you a line when the next one goes up!

You'll find that some important works have their own wikipedia pages (Treasure Island probably does, for instance). So in that case, you could add a link there as well as on RLS's page.

Thanks a million!

Kara
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

OK, where there is an actual book or poem page, I will put the link on that page, if there is not, I will put it on the author page. I don't think the link should be in both places. Tell me if you think otherwise.

Brad
kayray

Post by kayray »

Both places, please -- author and work.

We want people to find us whether they search for rls OR Treasure Island.

Thanks!
Kara
--------
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

OK, will put on the book and the author page.

Brad
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

OK, Kara, we are up to date on Wikipedia. All author and book pages have links back to the LibriVox book page and main page. Tried to stay as consistent as I could given previous links were input slightly differently, and that Wikipedia is anything but standard.

Email me as you finish books. Ooh, what an advantage, I now am the second to know when a book is done!

Brad
kayray

Post by kayray »

Thanks, Brad, you're a dear!

Merry Christmas!

Kara
Kara
--------
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hey brad thanks for this - on normal days when wired.com doesn't cover us, we get about 30% hits coming from wikipedia.
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

I just updated the Mark Twain page, and the ?A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur?s Court? with the appropriate links.

I also sent out an email to the keepers of some of the bigger / more influential ?A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur?s Court? web sites about our new addition.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Thank you Steve for taking that initiative. I'm still new to cataloging, and had forgotten to let Brad know of the new title (Sorry about that Brad).
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

good work steve!
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

I have updated all the Wikipedia pages for all the new works marked as "new" on the catalog page. Sorry for the delay.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Thanks Brad, you rock!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
xen

Post by xen »

Hi I was wondering if we should put up a wiki page for librivox? Just outlining our mission statement and completed works. I know this is a plug from librivox and I don?t know if wikipedia will allow it but I would also help keep track of our wiki links. I would also emphasize that the ?free audio book?(s) are human read. But good job & idea.