LibriVox 7th Anniversary Podcast

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Locked
bobgon55
Posts: 928
Joined: May 24th, 2011, 8:30 am
Location: Tampa, Florida USA
Contact:

Post by bobgon55 » August 12th, 2012, 8:53 pm

CaprishaPage wrote:It is fabulous!
Thank you, Caprisha! I thought we had a lovely mix of voices this year. :D Thank you for being one of them. :clap: :wink:

Bob
Bob Gonzalez
Rhapsodize
A Classic Poetry Performance Initiative
My LibriVox Recordings

CaprishaPage
Posts: 1096
Joined: October 23rd, 2011, 8:37 pm
Location: Utter Chaos

Post by CaprishaPage » August 13th, 2012, 2:13 pm

bobgon55 wrote:
CaprishaPage wrote:It is fabulous!
Thank you, Caprisha! I thought we had a lovely mix of voices this year. :D Thank you for being one of them. :clap: :wink:

Bob
It was really good! A nice mix of information, as well! Honestly, I didn't even know we did a podcast (as ashamed as I am to admit that!). But I am forwarding that info to all of my non-LV friends, just to let them know what goes on in our LV world. It is great advertising! I know it has to be a great deal of work - especially to make it so entertaining and professional! I am off to take an example from "pushy" Cat's book :D and go advertise our wares! Lol!
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen

catrose
Posts: 3008
Joined: April 13th, 2012, 2:29 pm
Location: Narnia! No wait...That's not PD...
Contact:

Post by catrose » August 13th, 2012, 2:17 pm

CaprishaPage wrote: I am off to take an example from "pushy" Cat's book :D and go advertise our wares! Lol!
Great, now I have a reputation for "pushiness"! :lol:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!

bobgon55
Posts: 928
Joined: May 24th, 2011, 8:30 am
Location: Tampa, Florida USA
Contact:

Post by bobgon55 » August 13th, 2012, 2:41 pm

CaprishaPage wrote:It was really good! A nice mix of information, as well! Honestly, I didn't even know we did a podcast (as ashamed as I am to admit that!). But I am forwarding that info to all of my non-LV friends, just to let them know what goes on in our LV world. It is great advertising! I know it has to be a great deal of work - especially to make it so entertaining and professional!
Thanks again, Caprisha! I'm glad you liked the information, too. Nothing to be ashamed of in not knowing we had a podcast. It's hard to see that tiny little permanent link on the right side of the home page, even when it often appears announced in the Latest News column on the left side. If you liked this one, consider listening to some past ones and contributing to future ones, including suggestions for features you'd like to hear.

Hosting is both easy and hard. It's easy because you've got most of the skills necessary already if you have contributed segments to any project. It helps if you can handle multiple tracks on Audacity and are skilled with the multiple mode buttons at the top center of the program. It's hard if you want to get your editing as sharp as possible. If you're editing a Skype conversation or answers to questions spoken spontaneously and unedited, you have a lot of work to do. But all of it can be fun, especially when you hear the final product and realize how much you've learned about editing along the way. Also, you need to write your own scripts, organize the order, think of segments and overall show themes, choose music & sound effects (the last two are both optional, though). I think of it as equivalent in many ways to BCing a project, except that 1) you write your own script, 2) your contributors write their own scripts (or speak "off the cuff"), 3) you can use music & sfx, 4) you are creating a single file, 5) you do your own proof listening. But if you have ever edited a drama, the editing is similar (again, except for the music and sound effects).

Good luck in being as pushy as Cat. :P :wink: You've got a tough job ahead of you. But of course, Cat helped this podcast be better than it would have been without her. :thumbs:
Bob Gonzalez
Rhapsodize
A Classic Poetry Performance Initiative
My LibriVox Recordings

catrose
Posts: 3008
Joined: April 13th, 2012, 2:29 pm
Location: Narnia! No wait...That's not PD...
Contact:

Post by catrose » August 13th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Hey Bob, let me just take you through the range of emotions I'm going through from this paragraph
bobgon55 wrote: Good luck in being as pushy as Cat. :P

:roll:
bobgon55 wrote: :wink: You've got a tough job ahead of you.
:shock: AHemm! :evil:
bobgon55 wrote:But of course, Cat helped this podcast be better than it would have been without her. :thumbs:
8-) Aww! :mrgreen:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!

neckertb
Posts: 12819
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:47 am
Location: French in Denmark

Post by neckertb » August 14th, 2012, 12:26 am

JohanLiebert wrote:!

and I love the singing of Nadine's kids. Can I chop that part out and make it my ringtone? :D
Absolutely!

I tried to get them to sing it in French too but they know it better (it's just a translation of "Happy birthday") and there was super heavy clipping even when they were standing one meter away from the mic :roll:

I'm not quite done listening yet, but Bob, you do impress me every time. And the interview form really works well :clap:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus

Piotrek81
Posts: 3147
Joined: November 3rd, 2011, 2:02 pm
Location: Poznań, Poland

Post by Piotrek81 » August 14th, 2012, 12:34 am

bobgon55 wrote:Hosting is both easy and hard. It's easy because you've got most of the skills necessary already if you have contributed segments to any project. It helps if you can handle multiple tracks on Audacity and are skilled with the multiple mode buttons at the top center of the program. It's hard if you want to get your editing as sharp as possible. If you're editing a Skype conversation or answers to questions spoken spontaneously and unedited, you have a lot of work to do. But all of it can be fun, especially when you hear the final product and realize how much you've learned about editing along the way. Also, you need to write your own scripts, organize the order, think of segments and overall show themes, choose music & sound effects (the last two are both optional, though). I think of it as equivalent in many ways to BCing a project, except that 1) you write your own script, 2) your contributors write their own scripts (or speak "off the cuff"), 3) you can use music & sfx, 4) you are creating a single file, 5) you do your own proof listening. But if you have ever edited a drama, the editing is similar (again, except for the music and sound effects).
You don't do instructional videos, do you? That would probably be easier for me to grasp if I could see what you mean. For example what are those multiple mode buttons and they are for? I know there is a podcast installment devoted to hosting podcasts, so maybe I should just listen to it. As to the Skype conversation, I understand that you simply turn Audacity recording on, and then just start talking over Skype?
neckertb wrote:(...) and there was super heavy clipping even when they were standing one meter away from the mic
The power of enthusiasm :mrgreen:
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

neckertb
Posts: 12819
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:47 am
Location: French in Denmark

Post by neckertb » August 14th, 2012, 1:43 am

Piotrek81 wrote: You don't do instructional videos, do you? That would probably be easier for me to grasp if I could see what you mean. For example what are those multiple mode buttons and they are for? I know there is a podcast installment devoted to hosting podcasts, so maybe I should just listen to it. As to the Skype conversation, I understand that you simply turn Audacity recording on, and then just start talking over Skype?
I would be very surprised if Phil did not make a video of all those buttons already...
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus

bobgon55
Posts: 928
Joined: May 24th, 2011, 8:30 am
Location: Tampa, Florida USA
Contact:

Post by bobgon55 » August 14th, 2012, 6:10 am

neckertb wrote: I'm not quite done listening yet, but Bob, you do impress me every time. And the interview form really works well :clap:
Thank you so very much, Nadine! I really appreciate your saying so. :D I loved the interviews in this show, too. I got to try out some new techniques with one of them and I think they both came across splendidly.
Piotrek81 wrote: You don't do instructional videos, do you? That would probably be easier for me to grasp if I could see what you mean. For example what are those multiple mode buttons and they are for? I know there is a podcast installment devoted to hosting podcasts, so maybe I should just listen to it. As to the Skype conversation, I understand that you simply turn Audacity recording on, and then just start talking over Skype?
I hadn't thought of making instructional videos, but I am thinking about it now. I've PMd Phil to ask if any of his videos address using those six mode buttons at the top middle of the Audacity interface, but if none of them do, as Nadine suspects they might, I'm sure he would be interested in making one or maybe he would let me go ahead and make one (I defer to him since he is the pioneer LV Video guy, and I wouldn't want to invade his territory without his permission).

I do plan on doing an entire podcast devoted to how to host your own podcast, but some instructional videos about certain aspects, like using the mode buttons, I think would also assist.

About recording Skype calls, I started using Audacity but that does not work that well because it can only record from one input channel. So you can either record yourself or your interviewee with a direct line. The other party would come in through the same channel. For instance, if you were using your microphone as the selected input channel, you would get your own voice sounding really great, but then your interviewee would be recorded by your microphone recording the output from your computer speaker. And if you add that to whatever quality your interviewee is sending their signal, there is bound to be quite a difference in sound quality between the two and, especially from the interviewee.

I use a program I bought especially for recording Skype calls (but it also work recording anything coming from your computer as well). I use Mac OS, so I purchased Wire Tap Studio, but there are lots of programs for Windows, too, which I could help you find if you are interested. These programs allow you to have two input channels (maybe more, but Wire Tap Studio only allows me one) and that way both you and the person you are speaking to are being recorded at the best quality.
Bob Gonzalez
Rhapsodize
A Classic Poetry Performance Initiative
My LibriVox Recordings

Algy Pug
Posts: 5742
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Algy Pug » August 14th, 2012, 7:49 am

Great job on the podcast, Bob. It is fascinating to witness those snapshots of Librivox history.

For Windows users the best programme to record Skype conversations is Pamela for Skype, which costs about $US35. I have found it very reliable and easy to use.

If anyone wishes to make a contribution to the upcoming Rubaiyat podcast, he/she still has a couple of days to do so.
Don't be shy!

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

_________________________
Let me recapitulate backwards to what happened previously.
- Rex Mossop

Piotrek81
Posts: 3147
Joined: November 3rd, 2011, 2:02 pm
Location: Poznań, Poland

Post by Piotrek81 » August 14th, 2012, 10:05 am

bobgon55 wrote: but there are lots of programs for Windows, too, which I could help you find if you are interested.
Thanks, but I was just curious :thumbs:
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

Locked