LibriVox Podcast #123? - LibriVox: The Pioneer Days (WAS 121

Non-reading activities need your help too!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Hello Everyone and Happy Holidays!!

The LIBRIVOX: THE PIONEER DAYS podcast is postponed for a while until it has a chance to grow. No date for release is set yet, but hopefully not too long. The show will be all about the time in LibriVox history between Hugh's first post inviting friends to help record Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent up until about the time when procedures and technology were at or near what we are used to in the present day at LibriVox.

You will hear from Hugh, Kara Shallenberg and a hopefully number of other folks who were here from the early days and either are still here now or are making a special return visit to share their memories about how things got done and what it felt like to produce public domain audiobooks during LibriVox's Pioneer Days.

Of course, if you have other contributions to make - promos, reflections, blooper reels, statistics, etc. - feel free to send them as well. I'm always open to having any contribution that relates to LibriVox on the podcasts. Remember, this is YOUR podcast, and to represent the LibriVox community, we need a chorus of voices. Why not add your voice to the chorus?

Bob
Last edited by bobgon55 on January 7th, 2012, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kri

Post by kri »

OK, I'll dust off my recording voice. Someone help a rusty old volunteer with virtually no set-up for recording? Would someone be wliling to clean it up? My background noise is awful. What format should I save it in? Told you I was rusty.

If it's good enough as is I'll take it. If it's so bad it can't be fixed, haha.. I wrote out the piece and can have someone else record it.
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Hi Kri!

Thanks so much for volunteering to give it a go! :clap: Just send it and I'll see if I can noise clean it well enough. David Lawrence gave me some information on high quality noise cleaning.

You can save it in either mp3, or wav, or flac. Whatever works best for you.

Bob
kri

Post by kri »

WAV it is.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/lvpodcast-edited.wav

Oops! I just realized I should have probably given it a better filename.
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

No problem. I'll have a listen right now and let you know.

Bob
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Kri, your recording is delightful! I love it! And it is an honor to have you, a LibriVox pioneer and someone who did so much to help build the momentum of the project, as part of this podcast/documentary. I do certainly hope you can find the time to come back and record again. I'm sure you are sorely missed by all your friends here. Remember that recording for the weekly poetry is not very time consuming and Lucy Perry, who is BCing it a lot now, is a wonderfully appreciative and encouraging volunteer.

Thanks so much for being the very first LibriVox pioneer to contribute to this podcast.

I'm so glad we have officially met, since I had heard you lots of times on many of the past podcasts.

Happy Holidays to you, your husband, and your little ones!

Bob
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'm rather new here, but it will be great to be able to hear about the pioneer days :) As in the case of all the Internet communities (especially those involving many people and possessing a long history), it's really a place with a life of its own, full of ups and downs, joys, tragedies, discoveries, etc. I keep my fingers crossed for you Bob and for all those who decide to contribute :thumbs: I'm looking forward to Jan 8.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
kri

Post by kri »

bobgon55 wrote:Kri, your recording is delightful! I love it! And it is an honor to have you, a LibriVox pioneer and someone who did so much to help build the momentum of the project, as part of this podcast/documentary. I do certainly hope you can find the time to come back and record again. I'm sure you are sorely missed by all your friends here. Remember that recording for the weekly poetry is not very time consuming and Lucy Perry, who is BCing it a lot now, is a wonderfully appreciative and encouraging volunteer.

Thanks so much for being the very first LibriVox pioneer to contribute to this podcast.

I'm so glad we have officially met, since I had heard you lots of times on many of the past podcasts.

Happy Holidays to you, your husband, and your little ones!

Bob
Thanks for the encouragements :)
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

BREAKING NEWS!!

LibriVox: The Pioneer Days podcast is postponed for a while until it has a chance to grow a bit. No date for release is set, but stay tuned.

Meanwhile, if any relatively early volunteers happen to see this, do consider taking a stroll down memory lane to reminisce about what things were like in the days when you were "making things up as you went along." I probably already sent you a PM with prompting questions, but if you need some inspiration, I can send them again or send some others. You can record your audio alone, just like kri and kayray did (wait 'til you hear the great memories and reflections they have!!) or you can Skype with me and I'll record your real time answers and edit them into a nice segment for you. Or you can even just PM your answers. But the more the merrier and the more LibriVoxy, because it's the chorus of voices that makes LV and the LV Community Podcast what it is!

I know that lots of LV newcomers are excited to hear about what things were like in the early, pioneer days. And to them (including me) you guys are all rock stars, because you started this great ball rolling. So give your fans a treat and tell them about your wild west crazy days as you grew LibriVox from this kinda cool and kooky idea to what it is today.

Looking forward to hearing some stories from lots of you!

Bob
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

bobgon55 wrote:
LibriVox: The Pioneer Days podcast is postponed
:(
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Sorry, Piotrek. I thought of you right away. But really, it is for the best. Once I get, IF I get some more fresh contributions, it will be a more well-rounded piece. If not, My back-up plan is to draw from past podcasts, one that is especially rich in some pioneer stories, and use those to flesh out the two wonderful contributions that I got so far.

Hang in there, my friend, it will happen.

Thank you soooo much for your interest. It really is great to have such a vocal podcast fan. And I hope to get more people interested in being a part of the podcast team so we can have a great variety of podcast material coming in constantly.

Cheers,
Bob
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Have you ever looked at librivox.blogsome.com, Bob? You need to click STOP on your browser as soon as the page has loaded, or it will redirect to librivox.org, but it is a delightful time capsule of how things were in the early days.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Great idea, Ruth! I didn't know you could stop and stay there. I'll try it! Thanks!

Bob