COMPLETE! Community Podcast: Proof-Listening

Non-reading activities need your help too!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast #148 - A Salute to Proof-Listening. Hosted by TriciaG.

Duration: 23:28

With contributions from AlgyPug, Linny, Amelia Chesley (plaidsicle), Moniaqua, JayKitty, and Peter Why.
Excerpt from "Funeral March of a Marionette" by Charles Gounod (1818-1893), performed by John Philip Sousa's band (1903), taken from https://archive.org/details/FuneralMarchOfAMarionetteBySousasBand1903

00:00 Welcome
00:18 Introduction to Proof-Listening topic
02:09 News from the Genre Department
02:33 A lecture about genres
03:54 Back to Proof-Listening
04:27 JayKitty's message on Proof-Listening
07:59 Community responses to questions on Proof-Listening - AlgyPug, Linny, Plaidsicle, Moniaqua
17:48 Bloopers!
20:25 Shout-outs to DPLs
22:17 Finale: LibriVox Intro with a subliminal message

We are interested in whatever feedback – positive or constructively critical – anyone has about our podcasts. Add a comment below or pop over to this forum thread. Any member of the community who has contributed readings to the LibriVox catalog can host a podcast and is most welcome to do so. Visit this thread on the forum to express an interest and float your ideas.

To Subscribe to the Librivox Community Podcast, go to: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LibrivoxCommunityPodcast Or hit this itunes link to get you to the subscribe page: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203970211

Recent past LibriVox Community Podcast files can be found at our spot on: Archive.org and archived shows for previous years can be found at: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013-2018.

Archived shownotes for the Community Podcast can be found at: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/ And the rss feed for those shownotes is: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/feed

-----------

This has been percolating in my brain for years, and I think it's time to finally do something with the idea. I'm going to create a Community Podcast primarily about proof-listening. And I need your help! Would a few of you wonderful people answer some of these questions for me?

* As a soloist/BC:
  • What are your positive experiences with DPLs?
  • What is some advice you'd give to a PL/DPL?
  • What are some common mistakes PLs make?
* As a DPL:
  • What are some of your challenges?
  • What are some of the perks?
  • (For experienced PLs) What advice would you give to a new PL?
  • (For newer PLs) What things do you struggle with? What was an "aha!" moment for you regarding PL'ing?
* Anything else that would fit into the idea of proof-listening and the best practices thereof.

Please record something, or if you're not comfortable with recording (some of our PLs have never recorded anything), then PM me your input. I will take the contributions and cobble something together. (I reserve the right to cut out parts that are repeats of what someone else said, or that don't work in the podcast for whatever reason.)

Please name audio files podcast_[your initials].mp3 or .flac and upload them to my folder. Deadline? Umm, let's give it a month plus a couple days because of American Thanksgiving, so November 25th. (Edit: moving it back a bit to Wednesday, November 28th.)

Depending on how this goes and what direction it takes, I might include sample recordings to demonstrate what a PL should comment on and what not. But this part is back burner for now.

Also, if someone would want to put together a ~2 minute blooper reel, I'd love it! It could be named podcast_bloopers.mp3 or .flac

I'm also going to have a segment about a brand new genre recently added to our system, and a little advice about genres.

Umm, guess that's about it for now! Holler with questions.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

TriciaG wrote: October 20th, 2018, 12:39 pm * As a DPL:

What are some of your challenges?
What are some of the perks?
(For experienced PLs) What advice would you give to a new PL?
(For newer PLs) What things do you struggle with? What was an "aha!" moment for you regarding PL'ing?

* Anything else that would fit into the idea of proof-listening and the best practices thereof.
Is "What I love on PL, or what drives me to do PL" related to "Anything else"? :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sure - sounds good! 8-)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Great idea. I will come up with something for sure, and record it. It's a vital part of our system, for so many reasons.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Tricia,
I'll PM you sections for as a BC and as a DPL. You could maybe just select a little bit from both, or choose one...whatever you want.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Tricia,
PM sent. Thanks!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

ooh, I just saw this. I'll submit something! probably by next Monday or Tuesday (thankfully I get the whole week off for Thanksgiving break. my hope is that tons of LV recording will happen on at least some of those days!)
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No worries - glad you saw it! 8-)
linny

Post by linny »

Tricia,
Do you have your blooper reel yet? If not, you are just looking for the mistakes that PLers find, correct? I can put that together. I'm sure I'll find a couple of minutes worth over the course of the next few days.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Got your PM, haven't checked the file yet.

For the blooper reel, I was more having in mind taking some of the ones submitted to the blooper thread. It would be introduced as "things the PL doesn't hear" or something like that - more lighthearted, like the old outtakes segments on some TV shows. Does that sound like something you'd be interested in putting together?
linny

Post by linny »

That sounds much nicer and yes, I'd be happy to do that. I should be able to fit it in tomorrow.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! 8-)
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde