LibriVox Community Podcast Planning

Non-reading activities need your help too!
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

TriciaG wrote: January 18th, 2018, 12:20 pm The mp3 file is now listed with underscores because I changed it after a bunch of fussing around. Originally it was named with dashes:
With all due respect, you should mention that for others to lean.
librivox-community-blahblahblah - caused me problems
librivox_community_blahblahblah - would cause fewer problems for people like me who don't notice the dashes before uploading the file to Archive. :lol:
You are correct, it is gibberish.
EDIT: OK, I had a dash on that second example, the second spot. It's now an underscore. I'm going back to bed. :roll:
As far as rolling your eyes using the icon you did, that is very disrespectful. Most people in 2018 see it as WTF. If you do not know what that means, ask a 10 year old. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Never mind. It's really not that important.

It was stupid on my part to not notice a little itty bitty difference in the naming of the file which caused it to sort incorrectly. I should have noticed it right away! I was rolling my eyes at myself, not at any of you.

Name your podcast file however you like; whoever catalogs it will make sure it is correct and won't whine about their lack of attention to detail in public.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

TriciaG wrote: January 18th, 2018, 12:39 pm Never mind. It's really not that important.

It was stupid on my part to not notice a little itty bitty difference in the naming of the file which caused it to sort incorrectly. I should have noticed it right away! I was rolling my eyes at myself, not at any of you.

Name your podcast file however you like; whoever catalogs it will make sure it is correct and won't whine about their lack of attention to detail in public.
You have a problem with taking things personal and I apologize if I have added to that. It shows in many of your post when you think the moderator staff is being attacked. Make no mistake about it, you are a moderator, you are not an admin, regardless of what your title may say. I am simply asking the proper way to submit the audio. That is my only desire.

If you have a problem with one person being on your back, try having a whole community of moderators breathing down your neck, like I have. I am going to send you a PM of what this comment means.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

TriciaG wrote: January 18th, 2018, 11:58 am I haven't done this in forever, and I ran into multiple difficulties and snags. (Next time, please use underscores instead of dashes in the podcast file name. That was the straw that broke my back! :roll: )

Here's the podcast!
https://librivox.org/2018/01/18/librivox-community-podcast-147/
so sorry about the hyphens-- I totally should've noticed and changed that. thank you for officializing it, Tricia!
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

WYSIWIG sent me a little message with a question/suggestion for a future podcast episode (she was having a tricky time replying to threads via mobile b/c of the new forum design, so I'm pasting it here for her):
Is there a podcast that focuses on how readers prep a manuscript to record?

So if we have that topic in a podcast-- how would I find it, and if not, could we organize one around that? Like, do ppl make themselves a script with areas marked for emphasis/character emotion, or what?
I think this would be a great theme. some old podcast episodes touch on it, but I don't think there's one only about pre-reading preparations.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And there are those of us who do basically NO preparation, but just sit down and record the thing. LOL!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

TriciaG wrote: January 27th, 2018, 8:21 am And there are those of us who do basically NO preparation, but just sit down and record the thing. LOL!
:thumbs: same here
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

plaidsicle wrote: January 27th, 2018, 5:42 amIs there a podcast that focuses on how readers prep a manuscript to record?
So if we have that topic in a podcast-- how would I find it, and if not, could we organize one around that? Like, do ppl make themselves a script with areas marked for emphasis/character emotion, or what?
I think this would be a great theme. some old podcast episodes touch on it, but I don't think there's one only about pre-reading preparations.
This sounds like in interesting podcast idea! I don't do much along those lines, but I know there are folks out there who do careful advance prep, and I'd be very interested to hear what they do. They might have suggestions that I've never even thought of trying!
TriciaG wrote: January 27th, 2018, 8:21 amAnd there are those of us who do basically NO preparation, but just sit down and record the thing. LOL!
Mostly, that's me, too, Tricia! There are just two exceptions --
(1) If it's a poem or a role in a DW, something that requires a bit of "emoting", I do a quick scan before reading, so I know what sort of tone to adopt. If I read it seriously and then find it was meant to be facetious, or read it calmly and then realize it ought to have been excited, I have to do it all over again. A quick read-through first helps prevent that.
(2) With certain types of non-fiction, where I'm highly likely to encounter unfamiliar place-names, or snatches of "legalese", or Latin, I give a quick once-over before I begin, to map out potential difficulties in advance. I don't bother to mark up the whole text, too much trouble, though I may note pronunciations of difficult names, or how to read legal abbreviations, on scrap paper to have handy.
If the thing I'm reading doesn't look likely to have any surprises, then I just jump in and read without any preliminary scan. That's the most usual case. Of course, that doesn't mean surprises won't jump out at me! :?
Well, that's what editing is for!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I find the above discussion interesting - about how people prep scripts and whether or not people pre-read. Have we ever done a "Drama" podcast? That would seem to fit with the theme. I don't know anything about podcasts, but I'd be interested to contribute!
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

it looks like from the list of podcasts on the wiki, two episodes (#121 and #122) are about drama.

I wish I had time to dedicate to more podcast organizing-- we have so many ideas floating around. Elizabby, if you spearhead one, let me know and I will at least try to contribute. it isn't any harder than doing any other librivox thing, but it takes more editing and thus a little more time.

I just found this old thread with even more podcast ideas, some of which we've covered and some of them not, I think. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=51876&p=1007236
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

summer is almost here and that means, most excitingly, that I'll have more time to record for LV!
I also hope to have time for a couple more community podcasts. I like the themes of drama, and of reading preparation... those could both build on previous podcasts a little bit.

I am also pondering a podcast to celebrate and share my almost-finished LibriVox dissertation, with some summary of everything I researched over the past two+ years. are there other academics around who might like to chime in with any other academic thoughts about LV? I know there were a few around once upon a time.... maybe I'll reach out to them by PM and see what we can come up with.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast #148 - A Salute to Proof-Listening. Hosted by TriciaG.

Duration: 23:28

With contributions from AlgyPug, Linny, Amelia Chesley (plaidsicle), Moniaqua, JayKitty, and Peter Why.
Excerpt from "Funeral March of a Marionette" by Charles Gounod (1818-1893), performed by John Philip Sousa's band (1903), taken from https://archive.org/details/FuneralMarchOfAMarionetteBySousasBand1903

00:00 Welcome
00:18 Introduction to Proof-Listening topic
02:09 News from the Genre Department
02:33 A lecture about genres
03:54 Back to Proof-Listening
04:27 JayKitty's message on Proof-Listening
07:59 Community responses to questions on Proof-Listening - AlgyPug, Linny, Plaidsicle, Moniaqua
17:48 Bloopers!
20:25 Shout-outs to DPLs
22:17 Finale: LibriVox Intro with a subliminal message

We are interested in whatever feedback – positive or constructively critical – anyone has about our podcasts. Add a comment below or pop over to this forum thread. Any member of the community who has contributed readings to the LibriVox catalog can host a podcast and is most welcome to do so. Visit this thread on the forum to express an interest and float your ideas.

To Subscribe to the Librivox Community Podcast, go to: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LibrivoxCommunityPodcast Or hit this itunes link to get you to the subscribe page: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203970211

Recent past LibriVox Community Podcast files can be found at our spot on: Archive.org and archived shows for previous years can be found at: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013-2018.

Archived shownotes for the Community Podcast can be found at: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/ And the rss feed for those shownotes is: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/feed
schrm

Post by schrm »

hello,

honestly: that was the first podcast, i was listening to.
and it was great, with humor and wisdom and best practice experience...and even hypnosis :lol:

to all of you:
thank you for this!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast #149 - New Year 2019: Public Domain Release Party! Hosted by mightyfelix.

Duration: 15:29

With contributions from SonoftheExiles, JayKitty76, TriciaG, msfry, and commonsparrow3.
Fireworks/crowd sound effect taken from http://soundbible.com/693-Fireworks-Finale.html
Featuring "Auld Lang Syne" (traditional Scottish melody), performed by the U.S. Navy Band Ceremonial Band (1997), taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Auld_Lang_Syne_-_U.S._Navy_Band.ogg

00:00 Countdown
00:15 Welcome - SonoftheExiles
02:05 A quick history lesson on copyright extension
04:31 Volunteers' plans for newly available books - TriciaG, JayKitty76, Michele Fry
08:53 An oft-overlooked benefit of expanding public domain - Maria Kasper
12:02 A word of caution
13:09 How will expanding public domain affect our LibriVox objective?
14:31 Closing remarks

We are interested in whatever feedback – positive or constructively critical – anyone has about our podcasts. Add a comment below or pop over to this forum thread. Any member of the community who has contributed readings to the LibriVox catalog can host a podcast and is most welcome to do so. Visit this thread on the forum to express an interest and float your ideas.

To Subscribe to the Librivox Community Podcast, go to: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LibrivoxCommunityPodcast Or hit this itunes link to get you to the subscribe page: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203970211

Recent past LibriVox Community Podcast files can be found at our spot on: Archive.org and archived shows for previous years can be found at: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013-2018.

Archived shownotes for the Community Podcast can be found at: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/ And the rss feed for those shownotes is: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/feed
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I always sound so wooden. LOL! :roll:

Great podcast. Thanks for heading it up, Devorah!