LibriVox Community Podcast Planning

Non-reading activities need your help too!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Cori, you are usually fast as lightning but to have beaten Piotrek merits an award or medal or both! :thumbs: :clap:

Piotrek,

I agree that the First 100 Digits of Pi certainly takes the ... er ... Pie. My favorite is Philippa's sound effect one. :mrgreen:

If you are interested, Phil contributed a plug for his videos in Podcast #117.

Thank you J_N! :D
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Addition to my last post.
Piotrek81 wrote: This is the reason why I usually breathe a great sigh of relief when I'm done reading and the only thing left to do is editing...
Unless of course the bit I'm reading is supposed to be word-perfect. In such a case editing can be as stressful as recording.... :roll:

I'll listen to Phil's contribution (and whole podcast #117) as soon as I have time.
I'll probably also listen to the "Pi" one :mrgreen:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Piotrek81 wrote: Unless of course the bit I'm reading is supposed to be word-perfect. In such a case editing can be as stressful as recording.... :roll:
That's why I am so happy that I started last fall using a USB mic so I can patch as I edit. Before I was working with a recorder off the computer (Marantz PMD-660 & non-USB mic), so I would have to record the patch, then take out the compact flash card, plug it into the card reader, download it to my hard drive, input it to Audacity and hope that the quality of my vocal tone matched the rest of the recording. Now it's such a breeze to correct and patch that it doesn't bother me quite as much. I also enlarge the text a lot so that it is easy to see on the screen, harder to miss words. Another thing I do is to break the prose text into phrase lines - somewhat like what free verse looks like. That way my eyes don't have to travel so far across the line and the line is generally the size of what I can handle in one breath. It takes set up time but it's worth it in the grief that it spares me. Winston Churchill had his secretary break his speeches up into phrase lines, too. It really helped him deliver his speeches with great verve and passion.
Piotrek81 wrote:I'll probably also listen to the "Pi" one :mrgreen:
Philippa's sound effect one is called Household Percussion" and here's the direct link:
http://archive.org/download/pi_0803_librivox/pi_50_householdpercussion_rd.mp3

She also does one Laughing and Sung in Welsh.

Here's the link to the whole book, for your convenience.
http://librivox.org/the-first-fifty-digits-of-pi/

:wink:
Bob
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Algy Pug wrote:When my current bilingual Rubaiyat project (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37977) is completed I would like to host a podcast on the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

I would also be interested into contributing to a "Me and My Microphone" project

Cheers

Algy Pug
Here is a little bit for this.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/rubaiyatpodcast_amy.mp3
I hope it is okay.

Have a good day!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

alg1001 wrote: Here is a little bit for this.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/rubaiyatpodcast_amy.mp3
I hope it is okay.

Have a good day!
-Amy
Thanks Amy

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by bobgon55 »

LibriVox Community Podcast #130

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast #130 hosted by Bob Gonzalez (bobgon55)

Duration: 46:56

LibriVox: The Pioneer Days, Part Five of a Five-Part Series

Featuring Anita (ardobbs), Denny Sayers, Brad Bush, & Hugh McGuire

00:00 – Intro
01:01 – Anita on the then new LibriVox Uploader from podcast #51 August 30, 2007
04:09 – Denny Sayers reminisces the early days
07:35 – Brad Bush on the genesis of the LibriVox Theme Music
14:03 – Intro to a conversation with Hugh McGuire
16:08 – Influences for LibriVox
19:19 – The Vision for LibriVox & its development
21:55 – Anarchy with an Iron Fist
22:33 – Shared Values
23:08 – Being Civil on the Forums
23:45 – Clear Set of Principles
24:15 – Be Nice & No Unsolicited Criticism
26:15 – First Three months like Three Years
27:29 – Organic Growth in the Early Days
30:11 – Impetus to Start LibriVox
32:34 – Letting others choose books
34:58 – Podcasting chapter by chapter
35:14 – Where were LibriVox audiobooks stored before the Internet Archive?
36:13 – Solo projects
37:55 – International Appeal
38:57 – Gain/loss – Growing Pains
26:10 – Very Clear Statement of Purpose
42:16 – Community feeling/Advanced Technology
44:05 – Model for other ventures
45:25 – Outro

Leadership Lessons from Dancing Guy

We are interested in whatever feedback – positive or constructively critical – anyone has about this fifth and final podcast of this series. Be on the lookout for podcast #131, theh LibriVox 7th anniversary celebration podcast, due for release on August 10.
Last edited by bobgon55 on August 1st, 2012, 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catrose

Post by catrose »

Listening now Bob... :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Absolutely Brilliant! (As always!) And Incredibly Interesting (Highlighting My Point By Taking The Time To Put a Capital Letter At The Beginning Of Each Word). It's A Shame This Series Has To End. It Is The Best! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks so much, Cat! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Actually, I'm thinking of inserting some segments of Pioneer Days pieces in later podcasts, perhaps some people who never got around to participating in this one or who I'm not yet aware of, if any contribute a piece or two. I'm also thinking of occasionally featuring interesting clips from past podcasts, as they might relate to - or serve as a contrast to - the theme of the podcast of the moment.

So you have now beaten Piotrek in listening to the podcast first, but I suspect that is because I released it later in the day than some past podcasts. :D I have to say that it is very satisfying to find LVers anxiously awaiting podcasts. Thanks for being one of them this time around, Cat. :9:

Wait until everyone hears your segment in the 7th anniversary podcast next week! Woo-hoo!

Bob
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

bobgon55 wrote:So you have now beaten Piotrek in listening to the podcast first, but I suspect that is because I released it later in the day than some past podcasts.
Yeaah, well, I thought I would let someone else listen to it first this time 8-) :mrgreen:
Also, how nice of you to have put it online on my name day :9:

:wink:

And about the podcast itself: I obviously enjoyed it, and, like the installments before, also this one answered some of the questions I had. And regarding the comparison between LV and Wikipedia the chief edge that the LV has over Wiki in my opinion is that, as Hugh mentioned, here people create a "product" from start to finish and catalogue it in the complete form, whereas on the Wikipedia you can put god-knows-how-many hours into creating an article only to have it smashed to pieces or to watch it degenerate (mind you, I'm not a Wikipedia editor, but after reading not only many articles but also Talk pages I've come to associate it with Sisyphean labour :roll: ).

Now, I'll download all the installments of the Pioneer Days and listen to them one by one. Maybe in that way I'll come up with some more constructive remarks :mrgreen:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks very much for this response, Piotrek! I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it answered some questions you had. I'd be interested to know what those questions are, by the way. I can see how it can be maddening working hard on a Wikipedia article only to have others pick away at it. At least with Librivox, you actually have some relative "ownership," despite releasing the work into the public domain for others to alter it afterwards. But the work in the catalog remains as it was created by the reader(s), DPL, BC and MC. And for the most part, people are downloading just to listen. Only a very few incorporate it into their own creations (and the ones I heard who have done so I felt diminished the LibriVox recording rather than enhanced it :roll: ).

Thanks again for your enthusiasm for the podcasts. Perhaps sometime down the road you might like to make more regular (or irregular) contributions to them. I am thinking of creating a few that have no overall theme, but just report on what's going on at the moment on the forums and with projects underway. If you have listened to any past podcasts, some very fun ones were created when people just roamed the forums and reported the hot topics under discussion. And interviews/conversations with LVers are always fun, because we are a close, mutually supportive community and we like to hear about fellow LVers. But I also have a few themed podcasts in mind that I plan to announce soon: Me and My Microphone (for some tech talk), Going Solo (thoughts shared by veteran soloists) and LibriVox Burnout (including Sean McGaughey's view - but also talking about relative "work" loads and pacing oneself in one's obsessive hobby).

Algy Pug will also be hosting podcast #132 on his Rubaiyat productions, and honestly, I'm hoping to have more people get the podcasting bug and volunteering to host. It's really can be so much fun and a break from recording pieces for the catalog (which of course is our main purpose). You get more freedom to play with the possibilities of the technology, you get to write some of your own script (which is probably one thing that tends to scare people off, I guess), you get to design your own themes - as long as they relate to what we do here at LibriVox. It's sort of like BCing a quirky project, in a way.

Anyway, think about it. I really appreciate all your contributions to podcasts so far (and I know people will love your part in the upcoming 7th anniversary podcast). I think you are ripe to host a podcast soon. :D

Bob
Cori

Post by Cori »

bobgon55 wrote:Only a very few incorporate it into their own creations (and the ones I heard who have done so I felt diminished the LibriVox recording rather than enhanced it :roll: ).
I have several counter-examples ... but top of the list is The Ridding of Nouns by Blue Verhey. It's the only use of my voice that I listen to on a regular basis. For a long time, I felt a bit sheepish that it was my voice at all ... I heard a lot of (mostly imaginary) flaws in my contribution. Now I just really enjoy it. :D

This is my favourite track, but only by the smallest margin: http://blueverhey.bandcamp.com/track/any-religion It's so relentlessly upbeat and sunny! I'll give a free audiobook to anyone who isn't doing at least a little chair-dance by the end of it. :lol:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Cori wrote: This is my favourite track, but only by the smallest margin: http://blueverhey.bandcamp.com/track/any-religion It's so relentlessly upbeat and sunny! I'll give a free audiobook to anyone who isn't doing at least a little chair-dance by the end of it. :lol:
Well I failed! No free audio book for me! :mrgreen:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What was the text?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Cori

Post by Cori »

There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!