LibriVox Community Podcast Planning

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Thank you Adele. I should have been more clear in my post, there is no need to post again in the other thread. I've downloaded your submission. Thank you!
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Thanks...(sorry, I'm still somewhat of a newbie.) :)
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

the community podcast seems to be languishing-- but I think we should at least plan one for the 12th anniversary, eh?
who would be interested in contributing?

another idea I had for a podcast was a set of profiles, or something, of "LV projects then and now." looking back and telling the story of a few early projects, maybe from the very very beginning, and comparing them to how projects get going now. would that be interesting? I'm not sure what projects I'd pick, but maybe others have suggestions?
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Cori

Post by Cori »

plaidsicle wrote:another idea I had for a podcast was a set of profiles, or something, of "LV projects then and now." looking back and telling the story of a few early projects, maybe from the very very beginning, and comparing them to how projects get going now. would that be interesting? I'm not sure what projects I'd pick, but maybe others have suggestions?
Maybe pick a 'choice of voice' project, where we have several versions? An Austen maybe, those go almost back to the start ... then you can compare the same book across different periods of our process history, and also compare solo/collab/dramatic (time taken, people involved, etc.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

ooh, I love that idea too Cori! thank you!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

the 12th anniversary podcast is almost almost finished-- I want to add a clip of the 12th anniversary song to it and then it will be ready to send out.

then we'll see how ambitious I get about starting another one.

I've been meaning to ask about how the podcast actually gets put into the podcast feed. as far as I've seen, the Christmas podcast hasn't made it to my phone's podcast app yet. does anyone know why not?

I think this new podcast episode will be #145, right? the new year's podcast slated for that number never came out, unless I completely missed it.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Here's an idea for a podcast that might be fun: I was browsing through the New York Public Library Literature Companion (2001), which has a section entitled "Chronology of World Literature," and I found this entry: 1922: A Vintage Year. Quoting from the Literature Companion, "In the world of literature, the year that opened with the publication of Ulysses and closed with that of The Waste Land can be regarded only as an extraordinary one. It was of that year that Willa Cather said,"The world broke in two in 1922 or thereabouts." Following is a list of some of 1922's remarkable books and the season in which they appeared."

WINTER:
Ulysses, James Joyce
The Forsyte Saga, John Galsworthy
The Beautiful and Damned, F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Garden Party, Katherine Mansfield

SPRING:
Late Lyrics and Earlier, Thomas Hardy
The Book of American Negro Poetry, James Weldon Johnson
Harlem Shadows, Claude McKay
The Enormous Room, E. E. Cummings
Aaron's Rod, D.H. Lawrence

SUMMER:
Babbitt, Sinclair Lewis
Swann's Way, the first volume of Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past to be published in English translation (translated by C. K. Scott Moncrieff)
Jacob's Room, Virginia Woolf
One of Ours, Willa Cather
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T. E. Lawrence
My Life and Loves, Frank Harris
The Ballad of the Harp-Weaver, Edna St. Vincent Millay
Men I'm Not Married To, Dorothy Parker
Geography and Plays, Gertrude Stein (source of "Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose"
The Hairy Ape, Eugene O'Neill
Kristin Lavransdatter, Sigrid Undset

AUTUMN;
Tales of the Jazz Age, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Later Poems, W. B. Yeats
The Waste Land, T. S. Eliot

------------

We have almost all these works in the catalog--1922 PD!
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

A vintage year...and the last year for which copyright isn't a thoroughgoing nuisance for us!
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

that would be neat to look back at that momentous year. and maybe it would be cool to look back and do a review of various seasons or years from various decades that are represented in the LV catalog. I wonder how far back it goes... what's the earliest published version of a text someone has read from for LV? that would be so cool to find out.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

since it might be much more difficult to sift through all our source material and find which thing was published earliest, I think I want to go back to an earlier podcast idea-- "projects then and now." about little ways LV has evolved.

what if I asked everyone to share their memories/experiences of the first LV project they ever helped out with, and then experiences of one of the most recent projects? they could be recording projects, PLing, covers, or anything.

basically, I'd be soliciting small interviews, using just 2 prompts:

1. Describe the very first LibriVox project you were involved in (or the first one you remember).

2. Describe one of the most recent LV projects you were involved in (or one you are currently involved in).

and maybe a bonus prompt for the veterans among us:

What big, momentous, significant LibriVox milestones/changes have stood out to you since you joined?
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Cori

Post by Cori »

plaidsicle wrote:since it might be much more difficult to sift through all our source material and find which thing was published earliest
https://librivox.org/the-secret-agent-by-joseph-conrad/ was the very first one finished ... if you use this search and switch it from 'alphabetically' to 'release date', you'll see the first few. (I started with that great epic of classic literature, The Cow. :mrgreen: )
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think they mean when the actual source material was published, not when the audiobook was released. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oh yes, I totally misread. Wowsers, that'd be hard to work out. Gilgamesh or something, except I bet we only have relatively recent translations ... hmmm ...
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

TriciaG wrote:I think they mean when the actual source material was published, not when the audiobook was released. :)
yes, this is what I mean. I often have wished that all Gutenberg texts would include original publication date in the metadata header... just cuz I'm always curious about it. I like to try to record that information if I know it, for solos, at least.

Cori-- I actually just downloaded the inaugural LV project the other day. I haven't read The Secret Agent before. the story hasn't gotten going yet (I'm just 2 chapters in) but it is pretty amazing to listen and hear how rough and different the project was when it was just getting started.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I often have wished that all Gutenberg texts would include original publication date in the metadata header
if you read the PG blurb they clearly state that their text may not match a particular edition. You'd have to ask them why , I assumed it was because they may have to use different editions to get a complete text but I have no evidence that is the case

Anne