LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 20th, 2017, 9:12 am

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Post Posted:: September 8th, 2017, 8:32 am 

that is interesting...
if only if only I had time to study PG and LV for my dissertation. so much to learn!

Post Posted:: September 8th, 2017, 9:27 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Anne's nailed that one, their early books are all Frankentexts. In the beginning of PG, there was no interest in using a single edition of a work -- it didn't seem to matter, I guess, as long as it was readable in general. So those texts are patched together out of various versions, and could relate to a particular publication date, or a mix of editions, or even never quite have been published in that form (thinking of books with mistakes silently corrected, for example.)

Later, especially with DP coming along, there was more interest in creating an archive for academic use and study, not just for casual readers, and so the edition information became much more relevant, and is especially common to be included in DP projects.

I definitely like to record from known editions where I can, though I'd not go so far as to read from the scanned pages (which is the ultimate way to know which edition you're reading from) unless I had no choice.

Post Posted:: September 8th, 2017, 6:11 pm 

plaidsicle wrote:
I think this new podcast episode will be #145, right? the new year's podcast slated for that number never came out, unless I completely missed it.

I'd like to apologize for never getting that out... there were some things I was missing and couldn't complete it. I still have some of the submitted material for that podcast, if someone wants to do one at the end of this year.

-Kangaroo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13