LibriVox Community Podcast #118: A Thanksgiving Show

Non-reading activities need your help too!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

While still working on the LibriVox Community Podcast #117, to be released November 7th, all about LibriVox Community Podcasts, I would like to put out a call for contributions for a show to be released on November 24, the date of the United States national holiday of Thanksgiving.

In keeping with the holiday, I thought it would be appropriate to devote the show to giving thanks and praise to readers, BCs, DPLs, MCs, coders, and any and everyone worthy of thanks at LibriVox (and, let's be honest, that includes lots of people).

I invite LibriVoxers to choose a LibriVox recording not their own and rave/enthuse over/cheer the reader(s)/producers of it in an audio file or post on this thread or a PM to me.
Likewise, if there is anything you would like to say about any aspect, person, initiative, procedure, custom, tradition, or anything at all about LibriVox, please record, post, or PM.
Any other ideas in keeping with this theme are welcome, as well as other pieces that might help flesh out the show. Feel free to post here or PM me.

Recordings or messages don't have to be long and don't need to be short. They could be as short as a few words and as long as you need to express your thanks/praise. But as anyone who has given or received thanks via the "Thank a Reader" initiative, thanking people can be magical for both receiver and giver. So do think about thanking - via audio or keyboard - in the next few weeks.

Recordings can be uploaded to the 'cs - Cori' folder in the uploader. Please name your file lv_communitypodcast118_yourforumname.mp3. All regular LV file tech specs apply. In order to give me some time to compile all the submissions into a cohesive whole, please send all contributions to me by Monday, November 21.

Looking forward to hearing your raves about LV recordings and all the ways LibriVoxers are thankful for LibriVox.

Bob
Last edited by bobgon55 on November 15th, 2011, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oops - I saved it as FLAC instead of MP3, but you shouldn't have a problem opening it in Audacity.

Here's the blooper reel! (And no one else is allowed to listen to it until the podcast. LOL!)
http://ge.tt/8UhUyb9 (the uploader's not working right now, apparently).

It comes in at a whopping 14:41 / 32.6 MB. If you think it's too long, feel free to cut some out or request that I do so. I had SUCH a hard time choosing what to put in! If I had put in all my #1 choices, it would've been about 25 minutes long!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks so much, Tricia! Can't wait to hear it, but I have to, as I am finishing #117. Unless ... maybe if I have time, I could use some bits for #117 and others for #118 and after? What do you think?

The FLAC file will be fine.

Bob
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmmm. I did introduce it, put in a couple comments partway through, and closed it off. I'm not sure how it would be to chop it up. :hmm:

I did say "November 2011 blooper reel" so it could go in either podcast.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Well, let me hold off on using it in #117. I'll listen to it and see. It just seems that over 14 minutes of bloopers might be a little long. Maybe 7 & 7 minutes or something like that? So it could even be split into two parts in the same podcast or between two different podcasts. Would you be interested in either working into several smaller clips or letting me chime in a little? Whatever you prefer since you designed, edited and recorded this. Again, maybe I should listen first. I have to go out to a student showcase now bit I'll be back to working on this by about 9:30 or so.

Bob
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Hi Bob,
I have done a piece which you might be able to use for Podcast #118 - if you want.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/lv_communitypodcast118_rowland.mp3

The file is 04:09 total lenght.

Lars :)
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Rowland wrote:Hi Bob,
I have done a piece which you might be able to use for Podcast #118 - if you want.
Thank you so much, Lars! It's just exactly what I wanted. I'm looking forward to lots more contributions on this theme.

Bob
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Piotrek81 wrote: I thought about some practical tips how to prepare oneself and one's environment before the recording. For example: people here often mention that drinking water with lemon works well as it prevents one's mouth from going dry and producing all sorts of noises. Some mention brushing teeth (as you can see I did some browsing 8-) ) before recording or give other pieces of non-Audacity-related advice. That's exactly the kind of LV lore I would like to find out more about.
This would be a great topic for the podcast!! We could ask readers to record a little bit about how they prepare to record.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Starlite wrote:
Piotrek81 wrote: I thought about some practical tips how to prepare oneself and one's environment before the recording. For example: people here often mention that drinking water with lemon works well as it prevents one's mouth from going dry and producing all sorts of noises. Some mention brushing teeth (as you can see I did some browsing 8-) ) before recording or give other pieces of non-Audacity-related advice. That's exactly the kind of LV lore I would like to find out more about.
This would be a great topic for the podcast!! We could ask readers to record a little bit about how they prepare to record.

Esther :)
I agree, Esther and Piotrek81. I had the idea to either theme an entire show on practical recording tips or, if we had enough coming in regularly, to make it a short recurring feature in every podcast, one tip per podcast. Something like that. Anyway, I have recording/performance tips listed on the call I've posted requesting podcast contributions (you can reach this post by clicking the top link under my signature). Esther, do you know any other way to get the word out to as many people as possible. I have PM's many friends and posted on several threads. Any ideas about that?

Bob
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Bob

I've done a Thank a Colleague segment for Podcast #118; uploading it to Cori's (cs) folder, as before.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast118_martingeeson.mp3
Duration - 05:44

Hope it's of use.

Best
Martin
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

It's fabulous, Martin! I love your selection and the way you interwove your commentary between the two excerpts you selected. That makes it so much more interesting than one long, unbroken comment and one unbroken excerpt. Thanks so much for supporting the podcast, making your voice heard (and what a calming, cheerful voice it is, too), providing such fascinating and erudite information, and thanking the reader. That's two home runs you've hit so far, Martin. I think you are carving out a new LibriVox niche for yourself. :thumbs:

Bob
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

A short 4-minute piece from me:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/lv_communitypodcast118_availle.mp3

It's PD, so you can do with it as you please :wink:
It's more a praise for the book rather than its reader, although I loved the reading as well - I think the whole thing is simply perfect...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks so much for contributing to the podcast, Availle! I love it!

Bob
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

ImageUpdate on LibriVox Community Podcast #118 Image

Thanks heartily to all who have sent me contributions to podcast #118, scheduled to be released this Thursday, November 24, U.S. Thanksgiving day. Right now we have about 50+ minutes of material not counting my contribution, my reading of a contribution from libraryanne, and my host intro, transitions, and outro. So if you were thinking of contributing but didn't get around to it, no problem. Do think of contributing to a future podcast. However, since we have some wonderful contributions and since I still cannot bear to severely edit (though I will probably trim) any of them, we are full to overflowing for this Thursday's podcast. We may do without a statistics report or we may have one, but if we don't, I'm sure we can miss it for one podcast, since we will surely catch up in future.

The show features part two of Jim Mowatt and Sean McGaughey reminiscing their LibriVox podcasting days along with their astute reflections on the wonder that is LibriVox, a blooper reel marvelously produced by TriciaG, a good number of sincere tributes (with accompanying selected reading clips) to specific readers and texts in the LibriVox catalog as well as hearfelt thanks to other volunteers at LibriVox and to LibriVox itself. The selections and the commentary by all contributors (one a surprise guest) is stellar, in my opinion, and I hope many LibriVoxers will have a listen to podcast #118 and truly enjoy it.

Cheers and, again, thanks to all,
Bob
carolb

Post by carolb »

Thank YOU, Bob!

Look forward to hearing it on Thursday.

Carol Image