Librivox Community Podcasters Wanted

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman » September 21st, 2007, 11:59 am

Caeristhiona wrote:
Ticktockman wrote:It was really cool though to hear so many different voices on the podcast, especially those that required repeated cold showers :wink:
This might be a good topic for the follow-up:

"How Not to Sound Way Too Steaming Hot"

I know I could use some pointers in that direction. ;)
Don't expect any help from T(D)OM :P
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » September 21st, 2007, 12:00 pm

Wait, there's a D now? I forget what that stands for. Gosh darn it, I need to brush up on my acronym!
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland

delibab

Post by delibab » September 21st, 2007, 1:02 pm

Cori, excellent show! Many thanks.

Robert, as promised, a link to a 3 mic test as a insert for one of your (and TTM’s) future Voxcasts. Hope its OK. There is a little bit at the ‘very end’ just to help you with how to pronounce Délibáb, you’ll need to remove that… ;-) Thanks.
http://upload.nickydonuts.com/uploads/200709/voxcast_insert_delibab_3mic_test.wav
[color=green][b][u][url=http://www.openstreetmap.org]openstreetmap.org[/url][/u] - The Free Wiki World Map..[/b][/color]

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » September 21st, 2007, 1:52 pm

Ticktockman wrote:[...]were I a newbie, I would have felt fairly intimidated thinking that there were so many ways I might suck.
I think I addressed this in the last section, really. People all the time, do get so convinced they suck in a million ways, that they just Don't Record. I bet if I asked for other ways to suck, I'd be sent a couple of dozen I never even thought of ... people are almost always their own worst critics and paranoid to boot. I just picked out the seven things I'd seen most often in the forums, or that I worried most about myself.
[...] organizing 7 ways of sucking
This would be an excellent topic for a wiki page! (I disagree with prioritising, though ... one person's horror is another's no-problemo.)
things which, while capable of causing stress among new readers are actually quite fixable in post-production (too fast, too slow, too quiet, too noisy).
We have a philosophical difference here, TTM. For myself, I work with my real and imaginary worries BEFORE recording, and since it's how I do things, I think it's a good way. Sure, some wonderful tweaks can be made in Mojo Ways, but I think it's a Bad Thing to depend on those for subsequent recordings ... they're, to my mind, a backup if a recording turns out accidentally bad for some reason.

Reading too quickly or too slowly is best fixed by people getting good feedback about how great they sound and how they stand with the speed. It can be quite subjective, and sure, sometimes it's very helpful to add or shorten the quiet in between sentences or paragraphs (for example.) But this takes more time than doing a well-paced recording in the first place -- and which is a skill which everyone can learn (or instinctively knows, often!!) I'm micromanaging the gaps for something of mine at the moment -- but I think it'd be bad to do that with all my recordings! and it takes aaages. Background noise can definitely be reduced or removed post-processing, but how much better just to turn that dehumidifier off before recording?! The less there is to start with, the better the result. Sure, it's obvious, but people can get caught up in fixing things the high-tech way, when they'd get better quality just unplugging their fridge for an hour. Too quiet is possibly the most awful thing to fix as a Mojo Move. For first-time recorders, it's an excellent Move -- almost any file is usable with an expert Mojoing it! But I'd prefer, myself, to see the focus shift immediately to helping people work out the optimum position for their microphone, recording input levels, etc. Ideally, no-one ever has to Mojo Move a recording more than once -- they can come up with ongoing low-tech ways to improve their reading -- which probably takes the same time or less than learning to Mojo effectively.

I KNOW not everyone has the microphones or tech setup to allow this ... and I haven't listened to all the MM-podcasts fully, so you might already be discussing all of this ... but I think it's important to feedback what people could do organically.

For reference, I probably bin 10-20% of everything I record because I think it sucks too much, and it currently takes me six times as long to edit as the final recording lasts. (1 hour chapter, 6 hours of editing.) I probably MojoMove my recordings without knowing it ... and ... I'd LOVE someone to tell me how to just calm down about the quality, have confidence in my voice, and spend much more of that six-times in doing new recordings instead. Perhaps that's what this podcast was really about. :) We teach what we most need to learn.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

Starlite

Post by Starlite » September 21st, 2007, 2:14 pm

I Agree 100% with Cori on this. A good initial recoding far outweighs one that has been mojo moved. No matter how much tech is put into a poor quality recording, I don't think it just comes close to a good recording to start with.

I have been blessed with ideal recording condition and rarely touch up my recordings with any tech stuff. (OK tell me I suck now :wink: )

Oh and having edited Cori's recordings, I can honestly say it does NOT take 6 times the time editing to recording time. (Did that come out right?) Anyways, it does not take me that long to edit Cori's recordings.....

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » September 21st, 2007, 2:21 pm

Starlite wrote:I Agree 100% with Cori on this. A good initial recoding far outweighs one that has been mojo moved. No matter how much tech is put into a poor quality recording, I don't think it just comes close to a good recording to start with.
Yup :) And I still don't understand the "mojo move" business. What does it mean?
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe » September 21st, 2007, 5:45 pm

Hi Cori

Fabulous intertwining of advice, examples, encouraging words. Delighted to take part in voice/s.

Cheers JemmaBlythe

Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman » September 21st, 2007, 5:51 pm

Hi again, Cori & friends..

Wish I was better at that quoting stuff (and typing), but I'm not. I feel like I wasn't clear enough on that initial post. I was trying to get across the idea that new readers need not worry equally about all the ways that they could suck, as many are fixable and/or don't matter at all, while a few can put quite an irreversible blot on an otherwise valiant effort.

That's pretty much it, except to say that if you saw the little house that I built for my microphone you'd see that I am totally on board with (all of) your comments regarding the benefits of a good initial recording...I personally hate what NCing does to my voice and never use it.

Please stop by and join us (and perhaps one of you could MC?):
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10394

Thanks,
TTM

EDIT: Jo's picked up MCing the Peace Pledge (Thanks, Jo!!!).

Caet:

Dapper? Deluded? Dirty? Disruptive? Distinguished? Doting? Dull? Durable?

...which would benefit most from a cold shower? :wink:
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » September 22nd, 2007, 10:07 am

Ticktockman wrote:Caet:

Dapper? Deluded? Dirty? Disruptive? Distinguished? Doting? Dull? Durable?

...which would benefit most from a cold shower? :wink:
Considering the number of puns that can be made on "dirty" I think that fits.

Ticktock, Dirty Old Man

Sounds good. :P
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » September 22nd, 2007, 11:44 am

The coricast is superb! Very thoughtfully done by all contributors. Should be recommended listening for all new readers. :clap: :clap:

TBOL3

Post by TBOL3 » September 24th, 2007, 5:45 pm

I have a few suggestions.

1. Episode 50 is not in the RSS feed. It goes to 49. I had to go to the archive page and download it directly.

2. Why don't we create a forum/sub-forum for the podcast. By all means, It's big enough, and I think more could get done that way.

3. If you look in my mic thread. ($50 for a mic) you'll see some reviews I have of the Samson co3u, if you want to put it on the next VoxCast.
OpenSciFi
Check out my podcast at: http://www.archive.org/details/OpenSciFi
feed: http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/dashboard?id=862845
PodcastAlley: http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=49988
forums: http://openscifi.myfreeforum.org/