Librivox Content on CD, DVD or HDD?

Non-reading activities need your help too!
WiredRides

Post by WiredRides »

Hello, I am new to Librivox and am sort of interested in volunteering and that is what brought me to the forum.

However, I have a question regarding the content catalog. Is there a way for me to get a copy of the data, in one neat package? Or, do I have to download each file, one by one?

Thanks,

Toby
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Well, you may have noticed that each catalogue page has a ziped file. But Yes, I believe you have to open and download each zip separately. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

ISO, CDs DVDs etc have come up a number of times ... but no one (hint) has offered to do whatever it would take to make that happen in any systematic, serious way.
featherheadfop

Post by featherheadfop »

I think a systemized CD/DVD system would be great :). I don't have a DVD burner, but I would be happy to take care of the CD end of things. We would probably have to charge about a $1 per CD fee, for shipping and CD costs.

If it's a service people are interested in, I will set up an ordering system :).

Anyone interested in sending out DVDs?
featherheadfop

Post by featherheadfop »

Also, I am not sure how much space the entire catalogue of LibriVox would occupy, but if it is something reasonable (Under, say, 50 GB) I will set up a torrent of all the files :), and try to keep it updated.
featherheadfop

Post by featherheadfop »

I think paypal has a 0.30 USD + 2% transaction fee. Postage would cost ... however much it is stamps are nowadays, 0.39 USD? (I think a CD can be shipped for only one stamp). CDs cost roughly 0.25 USD, I believe. Then paper CD sleeves would be needed, costing about 0.10 USD, I think.

(We would probably want volunteers from different countries to ship within their own country, international shipping is extravagant and needless)

It would be nice if somebody had a CD printer, professional looking CDs would be great.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

I think we have access to a CD printer... the biggest cost here is the ink cartridges though... I've been thinking about creating CDs to sell on http://etsy.com ... just to diversify our market... but haven't yet gotten around to it...
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
featherheadfop

Post by featherheadfop »

Have you got a CD printer :)? If we put the price up to 1.50 USD that should cover the ink costs (or maybe 1.25 USD), and we could put any extra money towards improving services ...
featherheadfop

Post by featherheadfop »

thistlechick wrote:I've been thinking about creating CDs to sell on http://etsy.com ... just to diversify our market... but haven't yet gotten around to it...
Wouldn't it be better to sell them directly through the site? I know someone has already got some trades up on ebay, and selling them through etsy would get them into the open, but I think it would be a good thing to offer right on LibriVox.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

there are downloadtools that help you to automate the downloading of specified content from any tree (subdirectory) of webpages.

So you could specify something like: download all zip-files in the webpage-hierarchy-tree below this page from pages with this naming scheme...and it would do the job.
When set up correctly it would milk the catalogue for you.

I think "webcow" is one of these tools.
http://www.subfiles.net/webcow/
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
featherheadfop

Post by featherheadfop »

I just asked for a quote on how much 3-color silkscreened CD-Rs, in paper sleeves, would cost in bulk. But it's really too costly, a few hundred CDs must be purchased at minimum, and at about a dollar each ... I know I for one don't have $500 to put towards this sort of investment. So unless this service proves to be really popular, they should be prepared privately, (including printing if we have access to our own printer)...
featherheadfop

Post by featherheadfop »

There are also stick-on labels available for inkjet printers, the products of which don't look nearly as nice as what you get from real CD-Printers, but which can be purchased for 0.10-0.20 USD. Page yield per ink cartridge varies from printer to printer, and would have to accordingly be factored into the cost.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

there has been discusion along these lines over here:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3074

Would you want to do mp3 cd's dvd's etc..... As audio cd's are almost impoossible to produce on a large scale. One book I burned for my car stereo took 10 cd's. I burned data mp3 cd's and could fit at lease ONE full length book plus several short stories. The downfall of course is that you need a computer or dvd player that can play them. (some dvd players say "mp3" on them)

If Somone wants an mp3 cd or dvd in the Toronto area (Ontario) I would love to help out. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

FYI, I am running a project where you can download CD Size ISOs of the LV catalog @ http://librivarc.cabspace.com. It is not fully running, ie the contents of the Isos is not written but all the files are there. There also is a project thread in this forum but am short on time so can't find it now.
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

ab2525 wrote:FYI, I am running a project where you can download CD Size ISOs of the LV catalog @ http://librivarc.cabspace.com. It is not fully running, ie the contents of the Isos is not written but all the files are there. There also is a project thread in this forum but am short on time so can't find it now.
Thank you for the project. I could easily download all your 24 ISO files. At first, I thought the 24 files had everything on librivox.org so I just deleted the 110+ folders I had downloaded previously. I was wrong. So I'm downloading the missing files again. :wink:

Some ISO's have the same files. Like 100_verses_japan_librivox_64kb_mp3 from CD 7 and CD 15. About 800~900MB files are redundant.

If allowed, I will create and upload several DVD ISO files with catalogs attached. I live near Seoul, South Korea. I can make backup's of such DVD ISO files and ship to anyone inside South Korea. A DVD blank disc has 4.3GB whereas a CD blank disc has 0.7GB but a DVD costs just about 2x as much as a CD. Shipping the entire files on DVD (I guess about 30GB~50GB as of now) would cost about US$5 including shipping if done on a large scale. Initially, perhaps up to US$10 per address, per set.