BitTorrenting!

Non-reading activities need your help too!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

MatthewMol wrote:At the moment, since this is a bit of a side project, we don't have any part in the Wiki.

The technical details are thus:

I have a blank computer capable of handling any distro of linux desired by the expert. I have chosen Erdgeist's 'opentracker' to host the torrents. However, I am unable to get PhP, MySQL, Linux, and Apache all working together in concert due to my own lack of experience with Linux. I have tried working with Windows as well, but I only have Vista with limited IIS functionality.

I am more than open to other ideas for hosting a tracker, though I think sticking with opentracker is the best answer long-term. If that means buying a better version of windows, or letting someone access my computer remotely, I'm all for it...just need help with the technicals.
Well, we know where we want to go, eh? Is there anyone else in Librivox who has been doing this? They are our first choice for help. If not, then I will make a new wiki page where we can keep track of stuff as we learn how to do it and get moving.

Have you actually done a torrent for any LV books?

More later. phil
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Glitch

Post by Glitch »

I've been the only guy working on this project for awhile, but it's with the full support of the moderators. If you want to make a wiki-page, that'd be great!

I've uploaded a few files on Clearbits and Burn...but there really isn't a solution for the grand scheme other than hosting ourselves, thus the direction I'm heading with the project. I want to get a torrent tracker and as many dedicated seeds as possible. I've already got the business-class internet required, and as soon as we have the technical expertise to setup our own tracker, then we can start.

In theory, this may also let us move away from the non-profit archive we're currently using. I'd hate for them to decide that our project is too large and suddenly have to scramble. This is a pretty epic backup, if we can make it happen.
Interested in downloading the entire collection? PM me for details! (Bittorrent project)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Matthew wrote:In theory, this may also let us move away from the non-profit archive we're currently using. I'd hate for them to decide that our project is too large and suddenly have to scramble. This is a pretty epic backup, if we can make it happen.
I think the torrents are a fantastic idea, and I think having a backup is great ... but I don't think there's any danger of the Internet Archive dumping us in the near future. They support us completely and don't mind the size of our archive (perhaps it's an excuse for them to go shopping for new, vast servers.) :)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Cori wrote:
Matthew wrote:In theory, this may also let us move away from the non-profit archive we're currently using. I'd hate for them to decide that our project is too large and suddenly have to scramble. This is a pretty epic backup, if we can make it happen.
I think the torrents are a fantastic idea, and I think having a backup is great ... but I don't think there's any danger of the Internet Archive dumping us in the near future. They support us completely and don't mind the size of our archive (perhaps it's an excuse for them to go shopping for new, vast servers.) :)
That is great Cori. I know that I have used torrents over the years and believe in them. I know that having dedicated seed computer(s) is almost required with our type of content and that it is being done by millions every day. But how to start and maintain them is is not currently part of my knowledge. Currently. :D

I will set up a Wiki page labeled Torrents - LibriVox or something like that and send the link when it is ready.

cool....
Glitch

Post by Glitch »

Absolutely!

I had no intention of implying that the Archive was going to...but in my mind it'd give me a little peace of mind knowing that our data can't be lost.

I look forward to the wiki article! I am not a wiki person, so I don't really know much about them, except for Wikipedia, of course.
Interested in downloading the entire collection? PM me for details! (Bittorrent project)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

OK, we have a page on our LibriVox Wiki:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Torrents

I have just sketched in a few headings that need to be filled in.

To edit these pages send a PM to http://forum.librivox.org/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=6462 and ask for permission to get into the wiki. Once you get your entrance then you can log on and add whatever we need to our page. That is the beauty of wiki, you and I and others can have a place to share our knowledge and help. :D

when I started making videos I had nowhere to keep them all and then got a wiki page where they are all housed now. neat, eh?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Matthew, please check out the link to the new wiki torrent page. At the bottom are links to stuff I found already on the wiki about torrents. Please check them out and let me know if they are relevant and have good or bad information.

It seems that JC, the person you will be emailing to get permission to edit the wiki, is the person who already has done a lot of work with bit torrents so he may be able to help us.

:clap: :thumbs:
Cori

Post by Cori »

Ahum ... Jc is a she ... and she's not around LV so much at the moment, so I'd ping Ruth for a login instead.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Cori wrote:Ahum ... Jc is a she ... and she's not around LV so much at the moment, so I'd ping Ruth for a login instead.
He's a she !? oh dear. Well I do hope she forives me. I am sorry to hear she is not around too much now because her entries into the wiki about torrenting are very well done and show a depth of knowledge we could use. Is there anyone else who might help?

Does anyone keep records of how many of our torrents are downloaded (if that is the term?) .
J_N

Post by J_N »

Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

They started doing ours about a month ago and were asking for feedback. It seems to be operating fully now - - if anyone is using it and cares to offer hints etc it may help others with the downloading.

Anne
J_N

Post by J_N »

oh! I didn't know... there was a link on twitter to a french blog which linked to that news on archive.org (what a journey! I never actually read French stuff :mrgreen:) and I thought I'd share :)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There was a link in the archive librivox forum , way down the bottom of our main page, I only saw it by mistake - at the time they said it was experimental and we were the guinea pigs - but it looks like they are now in full swing so it was good you announced it.

Anne
Glitch

Post by Glitch »

Without knowing the inner workings of Archive.org and their goals for hosting Librivox books and torrents, it certainly seems that this project has completed itself!

Just when I get a chance to reapproach the project. *Laughs*

If Librivox still has any aspirations for torrents separate from Archive.org, I'd love to know. Otherwise, perhaps it is time to lock or delete this thread?

-Matt
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

MatthewMol wrote:Without knowing the inner workings of Archive.org and their goals for hosting Librivox books and torrents, it certainly seems that this project has completed itself!

Just when I get a chance to reapproach the project. *Laughs*

If Librivox still has any aspirations for torrents separate from Archive.org, I'd love to know. Otherwise, perhaps it is time to lock or delete this thread?

-Matt
I have some LibriVox books torrented from my computer; not sure why since Archive is doing it now. Guess it is time to stop the foolishness, eh?