Volunteer CD Covers! Working Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

A big thank you to Anne for the very attractive cover for For Eager Lovers - I like it a lot!
Erin
schrm

Post by schrm »

heyho,

another preclaim please:
16135: Tante Fritzchen

reason: bc

thank you :-)

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

preclaim made

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

heyho,

goethes essays on art:

https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/essays_goethe.zip

https://librivox.org/essays-on-art-by-johann-wolfgang-von-goethe/

pics:
Cover pictures: Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Tischbein  (1751–1829) "Goethe in der römischen Campagna"
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Johann_Heinrich_Wilhelm_Tischbein_-_Goethe_in_der_roemischen_Campagna.jpg
and Silhouette of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (created ~1775).
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Silhouette_of_Johann_Wolfgang_von_Goethe.svg

thank you!
:D

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Unfortunately we are not able to use clearly recognisable images of people in our covers. If you read the fine print at Pixabay they do say that - it is well hidden - but people have rights unless they have specifically signed a release under USA law.

Anne
pity - it's a nice cover.
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

annise wrote: April 11th, 2021, 5:25 am Unfortunately we are not able to use clearly recognisable images of people in our covers. If you read the fine print at Pixabay they do say that - it is well hidden - but people have rights unless they have specifically signed a release under USA law.

Anne
pity - it's a nice cover.
Thank you Anne for bringing this to my attention so quickly.

Do you mean ANY recognizable people, or just ones who might still be alive now? In other words, when can we use a recognizable image of a celebrity, author, or fictional character? Does this restriction only apply to Pixabay? Or just people who are not yet deceased? Or just images that were taken before the current PD cutoff date? Or just photographs?

Thanks for your help with this.
My LibriVox publications

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Any photos pre the cutoff date are assumed to be OK for example - you couldn't use a photo of an author who was born 1890 and died in 1950
taken in 1930 but you could use one taken in 1920.
As Caroline said in her explanation it is complicated but if we stick to that it should be safe , and if it is the back view of someone that could be anyone it's probably OK - unless they have a pair of wings or something.
It applies to any source - your photo should not be used without you signing a release.

Anne
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

My LibriVox publications

GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

annise wrote: April 11th, 2021, 7:29 am As Caroline said in her explanation it is complicated
Anne
Who is Caroline? Where can I find the information that I missed?

Thanks
My LibriVox publications

schrm

Post by schrm »

GraceBuchanan wrote: April 11th, 2021, 8:55 am
annise wrote: April 11th, 2021, 7:29 am As Caroline said in her explanation it is complicated
Anne
Who is Caroline? Where can I find the information that I missed?

Thanks
hi grace,

the first posting of this thread is a sort of collection of informations and links. one of them is rather new, this link:
viewtopic.php?p=1532273#p1532273
"Since none of us are extremely good at copyright, licensing, and the likes, we've been uncertain about how to treat recent images and art for our covers. As you can imagine, we are not keen on getting sued over this."
--> these guidelines help librivox avoid costs, taken down books on archive, and also avoid legal procedures regarding us covermakers.
to download, reproduce and upload a file, spreading it, enabling others to break the copyright laws - and how to avoid this, probably - that's the topic caroline was talking about, here.
Make extra sure the picture you use is in the public domain!
See also the post here about modern images and photographs.

cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

schrm wrote: April 11th, 2021, 9:34 am hi grace,

the first posting of this thread is a sort of collection of informations and links. one of them is rather new, this link:
viewtopic.php?p=1532273#p1532273
"Since none of us are extremely good at copyright, licensing, and the likes, we've been uncertain about how to treat recent images and art for our covers. As you can imagine, we are not keen on getting sued over this."
--> these guidelines help librivox avoid costs, taken down books on archive, and also avoid legal procedures regarding us covermakers.
to download, reproduce and upload a file, spreading it, enabling others to break the copyright laws - and how to avoid this, probably - that's the topic caroline was talking about, here.
Make extra sure the picture you use is in the public domain!
See also the post here about modern images and photographs.

Thank you for the links. I fully support copyright laws and wish they were stronger and easier to enforce. I appreciate Carolin's guidance to help us remain within the public domain. I hope someone will add her statements to the Cover tutorial.
My LibriVox publications

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Nonsense verse caught and linked. It's a nice painting of the old man :thumbs:

Anne
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

annise wrote: April 12th, 2021, 6:16 am Nonsense verse caught and linked. It's a nice painting of the old man :thumbs:

Anne
Thanks. I like it just as much as the previous 2 images that I used for this book. The first image turned out to be one that was "put into the public domain" by someone who was not the Rights-Holder. I hate seeing disrespect of copyright laws. Artists deserve ownership of their work as much as others deserve ownership of their money.
My LibriVox publications

Alexelmagno

Post by Alexelmagno »

Please, can I do the precall for the cover of "19 de marzo y el 2 de mayo" de Benito Pérez Galdós.
I am making the cover.
Thanks