Librivox Community Podcasts - 2011

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Hello everyone,
I'm listening to the fifth anniversary podcast while I typ this message. Pretty gripping stuff.

I'd like to ask a question and favour about the next podcast if I may. I have finished recording a book called I say no by Wilkie Collins. I love recording but editing is extremely chalenging so Ruth and I wrote an editor add in the listeners and editors wanted section, (which can be accessed here):
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27017

I was wondering if I could place a similar sort of add in the next podcast?

All the best,
Sandra.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Yes, record a little ad and post the link to it in this thread, Sandra. You can put it in my folder. Give it a sensible name so I don't go deleting it by mistake (big grin) - it has been known to happen. Then it will be easily found when the next podcast is produced. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Hello Ruth,
how long have I got till production ha ha ha!

All the best,
Sandra.
Cori

Post by Cori »

As long as you like, Sandra ... the podcast isn't so regular at the moment, but even if you miss the next episode, your piece will fit into the following one. No problemo!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Sandra7 wrote:Hello Ruth,
how long have I got till production ha ha ha!
No-one has signed up yet on http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Librivox_Community_Podcast#Podcasters to do the next one, so quite a while. :)
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
aravis

Post by aravis »

Amazing podcast! I enjoyed every second of it! Thanks Lucy and everyone else, who contributed! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

[Admin Note: Sorry, we had to split this into a new topic and I made a mess out of it, this has been originally posted by Cori...]

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast Show #115
http://www.archive.org/download/librivox_community_2010/librivox_community_podcast_115.mp3

Hosted by Lars Rolander (Rowland)

Have you ever considered joining LibriVox and become a real "Librivoxer"? If so, what do you need if you want to become a reader? What else can you do, and how do you go abut it?.
In this program/podcast/show, Lars Rolander gives some of his personal thoughts and tips.

Thank you for listening! :9:

To Subscribe to the Librivox Community Podcast, go to: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LibrivoxCommunityPodcast or hit this itunes link to get you to the subscribe page http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203970211

Recent past and present Librivox Community Podcast files can be found at our spot in Archive.org
Archived shows for previous years can be found at: 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Archived shownotes for the Librivox Community Podcast can be found at http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/ and the rss feed for those shownotes is: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/feed

Shows this year have been downloaded 10,429 times. According to the archive.org counter, anyway.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Sounds great Lars! Really useful advice.

BTW admins, when I go to the old thread I can only get to page 117. Pages 118 to 122 are shown as existing at the top of the thread, but clicking on them gets 'No posts exist for this topic.' Any idea why?
So little space, so much to say.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Lucy_k_p wrote: BTW admins, when I go to the old thread I can only get to page 117. Pages 118 to 122 are shown as existing at the top of the thread, but clicking on them gets 'No posts exist for this topic.' Any idea why?
Yes, this was the reason for the split, but the problem just moved a couple pages forward in the thread, unfortunately... :roll:

- we are aware of the problem, there are several threads where this is happening
- at present we have no idea what's causing this behaviour
- we're blaming the forum software at this point, and try to find a solution.

Please hold your breath... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Ah, I see. Blaming the forum software certainly seems like the way forward. Good luck with fixing it and sorry for being nosy.
So little space, so much to say.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Having tried to help some new readers to get past some of their initial problems I recorded Podcast 115, which I hope will be at least of a little help and inspiration to join LibriVox and stay with it.
A lot more could be said, and probably better too, but ...

I had the same problem with this (older) forum where everything from page 120 and forward was non-existing, and it was impossible to submit a message, it became non-existing too.

On the other hand I have had some problems several times lately where I have had difficulties loading a LibriVox-page, with the internet-page remaining blank with a message saying that it doesn't exist, but when reloading it once or twice it is there. I have blamed it on my Internet provider, but on the other hand strange, and stranger things happen in this computerized world.

Lars :roll:
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

Bravo Lars. This is a great summary of the Librivox process for readers. Perhaps we should add a link to this podcast to the newbie guides and the wiki.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Thanks for such a vote of confidence.

Lars :D
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

My friends Bob and Mark at the Canadian Podcast Buffet have declared December 1 as the Great Canadian National Day of Podcasting.  Looking through my folders of recordings from this summer, I found the perfect material for a national celebration of podcasting.  So I released For the Sake of the Song-- Live From the Ottawa Folk Festival. It encompasses some of my favorite interests... Librivox, folk music, a favorite Canadian poet, songwriting, and podcasting. I hope you enjoy it.

Here is a direct link to the mp3 podcast episode.

And here are the shownotes for the episode.

Last spring, Bob Ledrew invited me to come to the Ottawa Folk Festival in August to record an audiobook of public domain Canadian literature for Librivox, with volunteer readers  from festival performers, organizers and audience members.  We chose to record The Spell of the Yukon by Robert Service.  During the weekend, I was able to record For the Sake of the Song interviews with a number of musicians, which will be featured in upcoming episodes.

This special episode of For the Sake of the Song is an audio journal of some of the highlights of my weekend at the Ottawa Folk Festival.

Credits:

Theme Music: For the Sake of the Song (©2003 S. McGaughey)

David Baril singing In Praise of Alcohol words by Robert Service, music by the late David Parry

Here I Go Now © Lukas Grant
Lukas Grant is a young Ottawa area singer-songwriter who is working on his debut album.  Watch for him at LukasGrant.com

The Men That Don't Fit In by Robert Service.  Read by Jennifer Ellis.

Interview with busker Francesco Pallozzi.  Song:  The E Slide ©Francesco Pallozzi.

Music in the Bush by Robert Service. Read by Jill Zmud.

The Tramps by Robert Service reading and guitar by Chris Page.

I have yet to complete the task of releasing the completed Ottawa Folk Festival Collection of Robert Service poems on Librivox.org, but I intend to during my Christmas holidays.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
Cori

Post by Cori »

So, one of my New Year's Revolutions is to produce or support a Weekly Community Podcast! "Produce" being me hosting, "support" means you hosting and me doing anything I can to help you with that. :D Hosting podcasts is fun, and surprisingly easy -- the show can be about anything you like (bearing in mind our audience is LibriVoxers, so an entire show about haircare products, for example, wouldn't be all that appropriate ;)) and it doesn't take any more skills than a recording-LibriVoxer already has (making sound files, editing them together, posting & PMing with people where needed.) Just sign-up on the wiki page (or PM me and I'll update it.)

However, if you don't want to take on a whole show, I'd still dearly love to receive contributions to other shows! These could be spoken reviews of LibriVox books you've heard, adverts for LV projects you're working on (BCs especially welcome for this one), equipment reviews, hints and tips for recording / editing / proof-listening, LibriVox news (anniversaries of course, significant numbers reached, new languages recorded, epic books finished, and so on), invites to forum threads people may have missed (this includes knitting!), interviews with volunteers, interviews with listeners, biographies of LV authors ... anything, really!

HOW: just put together your bit of audio in the usual LV MP3 format, upload it to the 'cs' folder on the Uploader, and let me know it's there. Easy! Myself, I always write a script, and then record that. But it's quicker, and less formal, to just record yourself speaking, if you're braver than me. :D

WHEN: whenever! I'm hoping to put out a weekly show, so new content is always going to be welcome. If it's not used one week for whatever reason then it'll fit into the following week. I'm aiming to put a show out each Thursday, so the cut-off for that week is 10pm GMT on Wednesdays.

If you don't want to record yourself, for any reason at all, just PM me what you want to say, and I'll recruit someone to record it for you! If you have an idea for a show, that's very welcome too. In the past, we've done themed shows: around genres (mystery, sci-fi, history), LibriVox jobs (MCs, BCs, PLs), hints and tips (LibriVox 'addiction', how not to suck!), seasonal ones, recordings from real-life meet-ups ... just the tip of the idea iceberg, you see. Just send over your idea (or ask for an idea, if you'd like to host that kind of show but don't know where to start.)

LibriVox Community Podcasts are FUN, INFORMATIVE and RANDOM and I hope many of you will host and contribute this year!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!