Librivox Community Podcasts - 2011

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

[Admin note: This is the continuation of the first thread to this topic: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57322]

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast Show #114
http://www.archive.org/download/librivox_community_2010/librivox_community_podcast_114.mp3

Happy 5th Anniversary LibriVox! - Duration: 1:47:26

Hosted by Lucy Perry (Lucy_k_p)

With contributions from hugh, kayray, Algy Pug, Availle, RuthieG, Rowland, ExEmGe, HokusPokus, neerajanagarajan, neckertb, Nicholas19, gloriana, Cori, tis, Gesine, annise, Jonathan Awesome, KathrynD, rf, Great Plains, Starlite, aradlaw, TriciaG, russiandoll, wdcallahan and Claire.
Along with a host of other LibriVox Voices.
Sound effects mostly from pdsounds.org

Join us as we celebrate the fifth anniversary of the creation of LibriVox. Listen as our readers tell us about the parts of LibriVox that they love. And enjoy a lazy afternoon pondering the future of LibriVox.

Running order:
An interview with kayray (4:40)
Algy Pug gives a new reader’s view of LibriVox (14:13)
Some LibriVox statistics collected by Availle (17:22)
RuthieG and the Fifth Anniversary Collections (25:06)
Rowland on LibriVox Addiction (27:40)
ExEmGe on how LibriVox has changed his life (31:57)
LibriVox is Five Years Old, a poem by Lucy_k_p (35:32)
The Languages of LibriVox (37:14)
HokusPokus, neerajanagarajan and neckertb discuss the latest German, Tamil and French works (41:10)
The Language Learning Initiative by Nicolas19 (54:18)
gloriana talks about what’s new in the Dramatic Works Forum (56:47)
Cori reflects on Podcasts (1:04:02)
An interview with hugh (1:05:09)
tis gives us a look behind the scenes at the technical side of LibriVox (1:18:53)
Gesine tell us how to Thank a Reader (1:23:23)
annise and Jonathan Awesome discuss the making of M4B files (1:28:15)
How I create CD Covers by KathrynD (1:32:30)
rf on plain vanilla CD case inserts (1:35:23)
Some advice to new volunteers from Great Plains (1:39:18)
The LibriVox Fundraiser (1:40:31)
Happy Anniversary LibriVox, from all our readers (1:43:05)

Thank you for listening! :9:

To Subscribe to the Librivox Community Podcast, go to: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LibrivoxCommunityPodcast or hit this itunes link to get you to the subscribe page http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203970211

Recent past and present Librivox Community Podcast files can be found at our spot in Archive.org
Archived shows for previous years can be found at: 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Archived shownotes for the Librivox Community Podcast can be found at http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/ and the rss feed for those shownotes is: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/feed

Shows this year have been downloaded 7,034 times. According to the archive.org counter, anyway.
Last edited by Lucy_k_p on August 10th, 2010, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
So little space, so much to say.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

1.75 hours? :shock:

Downloading now, but probably won't listen tonight. LOL!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I just noticed that the link is to the uploader. You'll want to change that.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Wow!!

Seems to be an amazing show! Must sit down and listen to it this afternoon when I get home from work.
But the length says something about how far LibriVox has really come in just five years. Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations everyone!

Lars :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Yes, it's very long. Everybody had a lot to say and it was said with such feeling I didn't want to cut a lot out. I've now added a running order, so people can skip to the sections they are most interested in. Cori will fix the uploader link when she next comes online, as she's the one who is putting it on archive.

EDIT: Oh and if I've left your name out/spelt your name wrong/failed to thank you personally for your contribution, I'm terribly sorry, my brain is still mush after staying up to put this together. Point out my mistakes and I will fix them.
So little space, so much to say.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING !!!!!! :thumbs: :clap:

I began listening to the 5-year-podcast, and I couldn't take a pause. I had to listen to all of it in one go!
Lucy, you have done a fantastic job with it, and the result is just marvellous !

Listening to so many Librivoxers telling what LibriVox has been, is and hopefully will be, and how much it means to so many, well it is amazing, and I feel it is a real privilege to be a small part of LibriVox, thank you. :9:

Lars
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm making the podcast cast right now!

[Edited to add: FINISHED!! And link corrected! This is the permanent home for this podcast, and can be linked from blogs & websites as people want. Thankyou all!]
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Done listening. Well done!

I'm not sure exactly when I started, but I found myself grinning widely during the "happy anniversary, Librivox" section. Woo hoo! (Oh, and as the daughter of a steam engine enthusiast, the train at the end was great, too!) :wink:
kayray

Post by kayray »

I have listened through Andy's story so far and have loved every minute. Can't wait to hear the rest. Lucy, you're an absolute angel to have spent so much time and energy putting together this wonderful, memorable podcast for us!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kayray

Post by kayray »

And now I've finished listening and I've got to say thanks once again to Lucy and everyone who contributed. I loved every minute of it. I loved hearing all the old familiar voices as well as the voices of the friends I haven't met yet :)

I got all choked up at the end. Oh you dear sweet librivoxers.

(How can it be that I've never heard the Boom-de-ya-da song before??? That was AWESOME!)

*hugs* to everyone!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
anna

Post by anna »

ImageImage
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

1:47:26.

WOW. That's one HUMONGOUS podcast! But I enjoyed every minute of it!

Lucy, I really, really appreciate the effort and time you've put into this. Congratulations, this is such an AMAZING podcast! :D

The statistics section was much, much more thorough than anyone else could have managed it, Availle! I'm SO glad I talked you into it :D

I particularly enjoyed KathrynD's section (read by Lucy) :)

The Boom-de-yada song is a pleasure whenever I listen to it :9:

Someone said, "For a long time it was hard to remember what the world was like before the internet. And now it is hard to remember what the internet was like before LibriVox." So true!

I'm so touched by how many volunteers love LibriVox and how LibriVox has touched all their lives in some way.

Thanks again, Lucy, for doing this! :)
Oh, and LOVELY poem too!
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

We listened to both new podcasts on our drive back to Canada from Boston yesterday. It made me all excited about Librivox again. Stay tuned for news from me re: a librivox related project we are working on at the Ottawa Folk Festival this weekend.

Sean
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
peegee

Post by peegee »

I would like to add my "well done" to Lucy and everyone else who contributed to the 5th anniversary podcast - it was really great to listen to. It's simply amazing what LibriVox has achieved in just five years. My only regret is that I didn't discover it sooner.

Best wishes all.
regards
Phil
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

peegee wrote:I would like to add my "well done" to Lucy and everyone else who contributed to the 5th anniversary podcast - it was really great to listen to. It's simply amazing what LibriVox has achieved in just five years. My only regret is that I didn't discover it sooner.

Best wishes all.
regards
Phil

Better to have discovered it now - than never!

Lars :)