Volunteer CD Covers!

Non-reading activities need your help too!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Oh, I just had an additionl thought for you... You might also encourage your students to design the label that would be pasted to the disc itself... I'm sure it would be simply a design adapted from the cover design, but the round shape offers an additional challenge.

Did I mention that I'm mega-excited about your proposal!?!?!
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Oh yes, disc labels would be wonderful!

Great idea, great offer of help....
kri

Post by kri »

This is a very inspiring idea. I might have a crack at my own amateur attempt at CD covers :) I'll be giving some things as Christmas gifts anyways, why not?!
Cetz

Post by Cetz »

thistlechick wrote:Oh, I'm a little late jumping in here.... but I want to let you know that I think this is a great idea!

I have been thinking about burning discs with LV books to donate to our local libraries, but what holds me back is how to package them... with PD CD covers for these works, I think I would move forward with this project (as I am not motivated enough to create my own covers =)

Thank you in advance... I look foward to seeing the results =)
I totaly agree, and say that I also think this is a GREAT thing! And that if you put the books in you local libraries, then I will be thrilled *smile* to do the same in my local libraries in Sweden! If the books is in the PD here!

/Cecilia
designcrit

Post by designcrit »

Yes, thistlechick. I didn't think of it, but folks could do DIY donations to libraries and schools more easily with nice covers.

I took a group of my students to New Orleans over spring break to gut houses, and that city could use such donations I'm sure. We saw a beautiful public library in the ninth ward that had dead fish and dead books in it. The photos I saw from inside looked like a total loss. The trouble in that city was and is standing water plus a madatory evacuation. Nobody could rescue dry books on the second or third week--much less the second or third day. I'm sure they all curled and molded.

It would be great for LV or some of its volunteers to make a donation of Audiobooks on CD and get some PR out of it. I'm sure they'd be happy to get them. If anyone wants to pursue that, drop me a line. I know a few folks down that way.

Also I know the director of the Civil War Center in Baton Rouge if we wanted to donate stuff related to that. The Red Badge of Courage and other PD Civil War titles might be good. The director is David Maden who wrote Sharpshooter, among other novels. I designed two of his books.
www.opendoordesign.edublogs.org
open source graphic design
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Wow, what a fantastic idea!

Of course, the recordings are all here for anyone to get... but still, it sounds like a nice gesture to make. 'Specially if they've got nice covers and all. ;)

-Catharine
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

yes well my xmas gifts will be easy this year - lots of kristin's t-shirts/coffee mugs:
http://www.zazzle.com/greenkri

and many cds filled with LV mp3s. If I have nice covers to boot, so much the better for my good santa credentials ;)
kri

Post by kri »

designcrit wrote:Yes, thistlechick. I didn't think of it, but folks could do DIY donations to libraries and schools more easily with nice covers.

I took a group of my students to New Orleans over spring break to gut houses, and that city could use such donations I'm sure. We saw a beautiful public library in the ninth ward that had dead fish and dead books in it. The photos I saw from inside looked like a total loss. The trouble in that city was and is standing water plus a madatory evacuation. Nobody could rescue dry books on the second or third week--much less the second or third day. I'm sure they all curled and molded.

It would be great for LV or some of its volunteers to make a donation of Audiobooks on CD and get some PR out of it. I'm sure they'd be happy to get them. If anyone wants to pursue that, drop me a line. I know a few folks down that way.

Also I know the director of the Civil War Center in Baton Rouge if we wanted to donate stuff related to that. The Red Badge of Courage and other PD Civil War titles might be good. The director is David Maden who wrote Sharpshooter, among other novels. I designed two of his books.
You know we should organize something to that effect. If we can get a copy of everything we have in the catalog, that would be awesome!! I'm thinking this is possible because I'm sure a lot of volunteers have CD burners. Even if every volunteer with a CD burner contributed a CD, and we all mailed them to one person, or something....wouldn't that work?
kri

Post by kri »

Todd, I'm willing to coordinate this with you if this is something you want to do. Especially if you know who we can send them to.
kri

Post by kri »

Wait a minute...the problem is...how accessible will computers be for them to actually be usable??
kri

Post by kri »

I'm an idiot. I forgot that CDs can be played on CD players. Duh Kri
kayray

Post by kayray »

kri wrote:I'm an idiot. I forgot that CDs can be played on CD players. Duh Kri
Yeah, as long as you burn as audio cd and not data/mp3 cd :) I always forget this too! This is a great idea, and I think we could ask volunteers to contribute entire books (the longer ones will use up several cds). Once we get a mailing address, I'll help organize the kids' literature!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Count me in too!!!! I would LOVE to burn some CD's for this worthy cause! My only problem is that my printer uses water soluable ink so if somone else can print the covers, that would be great!!!! :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

OK I have an idea: Someone can make a new post :"Burners wanted" Then list all the librivox recordings and who ever wants, can sign up for a book to burn. When we are done, mail them to the contact person. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

new CD players often can play mp3s too...besides - people could just dump the mp3s onto their harddrive/ipod ... not saying the non-mp3 CD isn't a good idea, it's just that they take up lots of space.

I'd like a CD (or DVD - much more storage) with as many LV mp3s as could be squashed on there.

h.