internationalizing the site: NEED TRANSLATORS

Non-reading activities need your help too!
macandal

Post by macandal »

gypsygirl wrote:As I implied earlier, it's been years since I lived in Mexico, and sometimes my phraseology gets a little warped, so if it's something like that, go ahead and make the change. On the other hand, we're not necessarily going for a particular country's Spanish (don't have to pull out the Diccionario de la Real Academia, for example), so if it's a question of Iberian vs. Latinamerican Spanish, or Mexican vs. South American, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks. And gypsygirl, I wasn't complaining about the work you or anyone else may have done, I just wanted to clarify how some of the basics are dealt with here before I got started. I haven't even read what has been translated so far. It was just for clarification purposes (different places do this sort of thing in different ways). Thank you.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Oh, I didn't take it in any such way. :)
Karen S.
macandal

Post by macandal »

I translated a big chunk of text for the Spanish Wiki and it's gone?!! Does anyone know what happened? Why this happened. Yes, I did save it.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

I wouldn't know what happened. But, it should be saved in the revisions' history.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
macandal

Post by macandal »

Gypsygirl, or whoever is managing the Spanish page, I've finished translating. I didn't go over the whole translation; I only took over where the last translator left off. It would be a good idea to have a separate set of eyes take a look at it and proofread my work. I need a little distance for now, but I will go over it again in a week or so to "standardize" the whole translation (that way it won't feel like two translators did the page, even though that's exactly what happened).

Keep me in the loop for more translations. Either English ==> Spanish or Spanish ==> English.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Did a quick scan of the Spanish translation; made a couple of changes but for the most part it looks great.
Karen S.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

iychiang wrote:Dear LibriVox team,

We are free software community in Taiwan, and we mainly collect public-licensed materials or things in the public domain for education. Recently, we find LibriVox, and it is so great for us. Because no troubles of copyright issues, and that is good for us to learn English.

However, it seems that our language is not completely available of the website, and have not been updated for a long time (http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Chinese_Homepage_Translation).

Thus, we want to do this, and then more Taiwanese can visit LibriVox easier.

There are two main kinds of Chinese, one is simplified Chinese use in PRC (China), and one is called traditional Chinese used in Taiwan. So we want to suggest LibriVox to separate Chinese into two items, "Simplified Chinese, China" and "Traditional Chinese, Taiwan".

If you want to now more about Taiwan, or need a flag for making an icon, please check the introduction of Taiwan from CIA's website

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tw.html

Again, thank you for the great vision and work in LibriVox.
The user, I-Yuan Chiang, also wrote:I want to help complete he translation of traditional Chinese, and I wan to have an account to edit the contents in

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Chinese_Homepage_Translation
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
dii

Post by dii »

Hi!

I'm thinking about making a Hungarian version. Not quite sure how to start, so any help is appreciated :?: :mrgreen: Thanks!
Diana
Jc

Post by Jc »

Hello Dii!
First off, please PM me for a login to the Wiki.
Then, you'll have to visit this page: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Homepage_Translation
(from the Wiki index: under Volunteering > Others > Homepage Translation )
Hopefully by then I will have set up the Hungarian translation page for you, and all you have to do is replace the places that say TRANSLATE HERE with the appropriate translation.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
Jc

Post by Jc »

Quick note to say that I took the liberty to edit the HTML code on the landing page for the German translation on the Website, to make the columns look nicer.
http://librivox.org/list-translated-pages-german/

I'm planning on working on the other pages as well.

I'm guessing that once we have the new website layout, we'll have to re-work these pages...
Jc

Post by Jc »

Quick question to Ezwa: on the Wiki Homepage Translation page, there are notes saying "DONE - Has to be updated". Which update are we talking about?
eslteacher

Post by eslteacher »

Hello!

I'm a teacher of English (native Russian speaker). I'd like to help with Russian translation of the Home Page. But I have several questions before I get started. Does the phrase DONE - Has to be updated mean that translation of the parts marked TRANSLATE HERE is needed or that the original English text has to be updated before translation?

Should I provide my translation of these parts in the form of plain text, in the form of Word.doc in two columns or by filling in the gaps on the HTML page? Should I post my translation myself (where? how?) or send it to a member of the Admin Team? Can I also edit the existing Russian translation? For example, remove quotes around the name LibriVox, maybe change a couple of words here and there.
Drxec

Post by Drxec »

Hello,

I just found out today about librivox and I want to congratulate everybody around here. I find it an amazing project.

I am sorry to say, though, that I found the Spanish translation very bad. I am Spaniard and to me it reads very unnatural, too much influenced by English. It has a lot of spelling mistakes, as well.

I can see that the transalation is already finished. If the Spanish translators want to discuss with me what I just said above, here I am, happy to help.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Just translated a piece into French, if anyone wants to check, and wanted to post here anyway in order to keep an eye :shock:
OK, also started on the Danish one, it is completely empty! Seeing that all Danes below 80 read and speak English fluently, I am not sure how relevant it is to translate into Danish, but I can give it a shot. Would probably be good to have a native Danish speaker check it at some point though... Never had any Danish lessons :!:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Katine

Post by Katine »

Hello

I'm new, but I'll put my oar in anyway.

To say tha all Danes read english fluently is certainly an exageration, albeit that they do read and speak english better than the average native english speaker read and speak danish :D

If someone will tell me how and where I'd be happy to translate the relevant text into danish, or check someone elses translation. I am a native danish speaker, so it wouldn't be much trouble :)
Anne Kathrine

At vide hvad man ikke ved
Er dog en slags alvidenhed
-Piet Hein