internationalizing the site: NEED TRANSLATORS

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Jc

Post by Jc »

Me again.

Italian page says January 2008 update. Some of the texts are different from the text in the template (August 2007 update). I just wanted to know which version was the good one.

(some differences include missing text, and the list for "How it Works" missing 2 steps.)
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Jc,

The text in the English template (what is on the website's homepage at present) is the one to go for.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Jc

Post by Jc »

Okie, thanks!

Oh, and which are the pages that are currently very active? (I'll save them for the end)
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello, Jc.

At present, I don't think any page is very active. :-|
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

SaPaSing

Post by SaPaSing »

Hi,

I don't know if the Japanese version is underway, but I am available to convert the pages into Japanese language. Please let me know what I need to do for it. I would like to start right away.

Sandy
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Sandy,

Thanks a lot for your offer.

KataGatar has actually already taken care of the Japanese version which is here: http://librivox.org/list-translated-pages-japanese/ .

Cheers,
Ezwa

Boileau

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Been doing a bit of work on the Spanish translation. The Frontpage and Public Domain sections are complete.
Karen S.
macandal

Post by macandal »

I don't know if you're still looking, but I could do a bit of Spanish translating. I don't know how much time I can commit, but I'll do my best. Let me know.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

gypsygirl wrote:Been doing a bit of work on the Spanish translation. The Frontpage and Public Domain sections are complete.
Great, Karen. I'll put them online when I can (hopefully pretty soon).
macandal wrote:I don't know if you're still looking, but I could do a bit of Spanish translating. I don't know how much time I can commit, but I'll do my best. Let me know.
Hi macandal,

Thanks for the offer!
Well, I guess you could see who does what with Karen, so that you don't translate the same thing at the same time.
Ezwa

Boileau

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

At this time I only translate sporadically, as I don't have that much spare time, so have at it on the sections of the page that say "TRANSLATE HERE"

And I always welcome a proof-reader on what I've already translated, since I left Mexico before getting into computers, so I never know if I've got the correct terminology.
Karen S.
macandal

Post by macandal »

gypsygirl wrote:At this time I only translate sporadically, as I don't have that much spare time, so have at it on the sections of the page that say "TRANSLATE HERE"

And I always welcome a proof-reader on what I've already translated, since I left Mexico before getting into computers, so I never know if I've got the correct terminology.
Okay. This may seem like a dumb question. How do you do it? I mean, how do you enter the text? I imagine that you have to register or something, as this section is separate from the LV site proper, but how do you register? I tried finding a button that says "register" but couldn't find one. Please help. Thanks.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

To prevent spam, the wiki is currently locked down against new outside registrations. Just drop Jc a PM requesting a wiki account and she'll set one up for you with your username from here and a temporary password. (the instructions for this are also on the main wiki page, but as I linked you directly to the Spanish translation page, you wouldn't have seen them :))
Karen S.
macandal

Post by macandal »

gypsygirl wrote:Just drop Jc a PM requesting a wiki account and she'll set one up for you with your username from here and a temporary password.
Yes, thanks. I figured it out eventually and sent her an email. I'm waiting for her response so I can get down to it. Thank you.
macandal

Post by macandal »

gypsygirl wrote:At this time I only translate sporadically, as I don't have that much spare time, so have at it on the sections of the page that say "TRANSLATE HERE"

Question: what if I disagree with the way something has been translated or I have a better way to say something? How is this dealt with around here? Gypsygirl or anyone else who can chime in would be really appreciated. Thanks.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

As I implied earlier, it's been years since I lived in Mexico, and sometimes my phraseology gets a little warped, so if it's something like that, go ahead and make the change. On the other hand, we're not necessarily going for a particular country's Spanish (don't have to pull out the Diccionario de la Real Academia, for example), so if it's a question of Iberian vs. Latinamerican Spanish, or Mexican vs. South American, I wouldn't worry about it.
Karen S.