internationalizing the site: NEED TRANSLATORS

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Anna Maria

Post by Anna Maria »

Sorry to bother you again Stephan, but I wanted to do a bit more translating, but what happened was that it allowed me to login, but then it told me I was not allowed to edit. I tried several times, and in the end it would not let me log in either.
Annamaria
Anna Maria

Post by Anna Maria »

:oops:
I am such a dummy! I finally realized what I was doing wrong, and I won't even tell you, I feel so silly. Now I can edit again.
Bye for now,
Anna Maria
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

If you were such a dummy, you wouldn't have figured it out! :D
Karen S.
Anna Maria

Post by Anna Maria »

Thanks for pointing that out Gypsygirl, now I feel better :D
Anna Maria

Post by Anna Maria »

I tried sending this twice as a private message, but it is just sitting in my outbox and not in sent, so I truly apologize if you receive it 3 times. I will get better at this, I promise!

Stephan,
1) I got to the "inspirations" section and found "do not need to translate this" (or similar). Do not know if that means I should not go beyond there, or if I am supposed to skip to a certain point. Where do I continue translating?
I hope there is more to do because I have a good chunk of free time this weekend with nothing planned so I would love to keep translating. Tell me what to translate, because I am into it! (I still need to add a couple of words to what I have translated.

2) I saw that in some cases you had words like "Book Coordinator" in quotes, then (translate here); but other times book coordinator, for example, was not in quotes. So I left the term in English when it was in quotes and translated it into Italian when it was not. Good or bad?

3) What is "centered info" and am I supposed to translate it?

Thanks,
AM
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I have not checked PMs today. A PM sits in your outbox until the person adressed reads it.

@ 1) I thought that
"wikipedia
rms & the Free Software movement
gutenburg project
creative commons
ourmedia
internet archive"

mustn't be translated. Obviously i marked it misleadingly. But you have translated some and thats even better.
If you come to a point where you are unsure, please check the german translation and take a look if that helps you tp procedd too. I am not around enough to answer your questions quick enough at the moment as you can see by your unanswered PMs.

@ 2) Sometimes for very central terms, i think it's good to offer the english term that gets used here in the forum all the time PLUS a translation. This way people know what is meant, but also have a chance to recognise the english term. Say: "Book Coordinators" (il coordinatori di libri).... (?hehe, i habe no idea of italian). And i think you did just that. So all is good.

@ 3) Thats the fat green bar right in the center of the LibriVox frontpage. No need to translate "centered info"

Only few more passages for you to translate. Perhaps spare some for sunday. :D :D
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
Anna Maria

Post by Anna Maria »

Thank you for the answers.
What about the "Announcements: Complete FAQS" and the stickies at the beginning of forums? I'm willing to translate a lot more, if possible :)
Sorry to flood you with messages...
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Somebody stop AnnaMaria! :lol:
I wanted to set a frame of text to be translated into all major languages.
Of course we can translate a LOT more stuff we have around here, but for now lets all do the same texts. In a second run we can internationalise even more...just thinking of all the Wiki texts.

Hey, AnnaMaria, thank you for your enthusiams! If you're through with the paragraphs in the translation page, i think thats it for now.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
Anna Maria

Post by Anna Maria »

Not quite finished yet. I still have the last part to do, that I thought was not to be translated, and I will get to it tonight. Maybe by tomorrow it will be all done, I'll let you know.
Guess now I'll have to read the recording tips, practice a little, and get to recording until you give me more translating to do :)
It's best to make use of me when I am all fired up, before I run out of steam!
AM
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

pssst! Careful. Book coordinators jump you from all corners if they hear that you're hot to do some librivoxing.

How about some OliverTwist for instance? Wanna read a chapter? :lol: :lol:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7768#7768
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Have been working on the French translation a bit more. I'm not quite through yet.
I'll ask for help for a few things I'm not sure how to translate...

For some words, there are different ways to say it in French (podcast is podcast in France and Belgium but balado in Qu?bec. I don't know how they say it in Switzerland :wink: . I put the two words the first time and then used the one we use over here).
Anna Maria

Post by Anna Maria »

Hi Stephan,

Yes, I would like to read a chapter of O.T., but first I will read all about recording - I have also told Alessia I would read a chapter of the Divine Comedy.... Actually, I can't wait to record something!

I have completed the translation, HOWEVER, I am going to review it one more time tonight. :) There are a few internet terms I am unsure of. After all, I had never heard of torrents, or their dumpsites before yesterday! :lol:

I will soon send you a " translation completed" message.
Anna Maria

Post by Anna Maria »

OK, I have completed my translation. I've done my best, hope it is good enough :) There are a few internet terms I am unsure about, but maybe someone else will point them out if they notice them.

I see two problems when I look at the saved version, as opposed to the version I am editing. In other words, once I "save", the saved version

1) does not have the accent on most of the letters that need it (some yes, most no), and this is a problem in Italian because a word like "e" can mean "is" or "and" depending on whether or not it has an accent, and

2) there is problem with font and/or formatting. You will see what I mean.

Let me know if there is something I can do to fix it, or if that is just part of your "magic tricks" :wink:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Ezwa, AnnaMaria. Tremendous effort. Thanks a lot!

AnnaMaria, when i edit the page, put in a ?, ?, ? and click save, then it is put properly on the page. No magic implied.
Let us try this:
I put this "? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ?..." in the first line and you can copy and paste the letters from there. Perhaps it's a workaround for the problem.
Anna Maria

Post by Anna Maria »

It seems that it worked. It was quite tedious, probably because there was an easier way, but I did not know it :)
In any case I am glad I did it because I noticed half a sentence that I had completely overlooked, and it happened to be the one about the founder and his blog - oops!
All the formatting looked ok as well, guess you fixed that.
Ok, now it's on to learning how to record 8)