internationalizing the site: NEED TRANSLATORS

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I made a chinese flag icon fitting to the size of the others.
18x11 pixels.
Please download it and put it on the librivox server with the others.

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Thanks, Stephan.
I don't have the ability to upload the flag with the others on the server.
I'll ask someone who can to do it and point to your post.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

Hi, ezwa,
In this sentence: "最佳的"聯絡我們的方法就是在我們的論壇留言 What stands for "best" and what for "forum"?
best: 最佳的
forum: 論壇
And here 若你要"留言",請讀此文, what stands for "feedback"?
feedback: 留言 or 回饋發表 (in the first Chinese page, in case you want to know :D )

I've checked the first Chinese page:
http://librivox.org/about-librivox/about-librivox-chinese/

There's some anomalies:

some of the lines have more than one blanks between words, such as:
LibriVox(blank) 的義工錄下(blank) 公共領域內之書籍的章節,然後我們將它以語音檔案方式發表,(blank)免費(blank) 放回(blank) 網路上,我們所有的語音檔案都屬於公共領域,因此,你可以隨意使用它們。

作為LibriVox的義工(blank) 很簡單, ..........................

我們的運作幾乎全都在我們的 (blank)論壇以溝通的方式進行, ...................................

要得到更多資訊,請看我們的 (blank)問與答。

我們希望你的幫忙,請點擊以便明瞭如何 (blank)作LibriVox的義工。

資源與夥伴

我們的書籍內容大都由(blank) 古騰堡計畫而來,而網路檔案庫和ibiblio.org(blank) 的主機(免費地!)贊助存放我們的語音檔案。

Richard(blank) Stallman(blank) & (blank) the(blank) Free(blank) Software movement

LibriVox成立於2005年8月,由住在蒙特婁的作家與網頁開發者Hugh(blank) McGuire所創立
(blank): excessive blanks between Chinese/English words. (Maybe I did that when I translate the Chinese page, I might hit blank too many times unintentionally, I think.)
請電郵這個地址:info[AT]librivox[DOT]org
And when I click on the email address, "info[AT]librivox[DOT]org", I got "info[AT]librivox.org" instead of "info@librivox.org" in my outlook express window.

I've checked: http://librivox.org/about-listening-to-librivox-chinese/

The second Chinese page doesn't have the blanks, and everything look OK, except:
請聯繫kayray,
When I click on "kayray", I got kara[at]kayray.org in my outlook express window.

I'm using Firefox and outlook express, and not sure whether the [AT] or [at] issue is connected to the software I'm using or not.

HC
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Thanks, HC !
I'll edit all that when wordpress lets me.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

NightOwl wrote:And when I click on the email address, "info[AT]librivox[DOT]org", I got "info[AT]librivox.org" instead of "info@librivox.org" in my outlook express window.

When I click on "kayray", I got kara[at]kayray.org in my outlook express window.

I'm using Firefox and outlook express, and not sure whether the [AT] or [at] issue is connected to the software I'm using or not.
It's set up that way so that spammers can't use an automatic program to find the email addresses on the page. It's assumed that the program won't recognize info[AT]librivox[DOT]org as an email address but a real person will, and will know to switch out the [AT] and the [DOT] for the correct characters.
Karen S.
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

gypsygirl wrote: It's assumed that the program won't recognize info[AT]librivox[DOT]org as an email address but a real person will, and will know to switch out the [AT] and the [DOT] for the correct characters.
OK! So we need to change the [AT] to @, and [DOT] to ".", but Firefox and Outlook Express both recognize [DOT] and would switch [DOT] to "." automatically, but not [AT] though.

I thought something was wrong when I click or just point my mouse to the email address, I can see a partially switched email address but not the real one. :D

HC
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

NightOwl wrote:[...] I've checked the first Chinese page:
http://librivox.org/about-librivox/about-librivox-chinese/
[...] some of the lines have more than one blanks between words, [...]
HC, I got rid of the blanks.

The Chinese pages are set, linked to from this page: http://librivox.org/list-translated-pages-chinese/ . Could someone have a look and let me know if modifications are required?

The flag's still missing on the side of the HomePage. Need to have someone else add it.
Ezwa

Boileau

Jc

Post by Jc »

Just wondering... is there any way to translate the Catalog page?
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Jc wrote:Just wondering... is there any way to translate the Catalog page?
Translate it? Easy. ;)
But we'd need someone who can implement it. I don't know whether that would be easy or not.
Ezwa

Boileau

Jc

Post by Jc »

Couldn't you just copy/paste the code for the search boxes? (the users would have to search in English, but it wouldn't hurt to have instructions in their language)
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Jc wrote:Couldn't you just copy/paste the code for the search boxes? (the users would have to search in English, but it wouldn't hurt to have instructions in their language)
Not sure I understand what you mean, Jc.
IT is an obscure thing to me.
Do you mean the "title, author, status, search" ?
Ezwa

Boileau

Jc

Post by Jc »

I see 2 sections on that page: the text
(If the files are not available please try back later, as archive.org is having issues. The files are safe but may be temporarily unavailable.
Instructions: Fill in either the author field, the title field, or both. Partial words/names are allowed.
Questions? Send an E-Mail to us, or visit this help page.)
and the search area.

From the page source, I would guess that this code is for the search area:
<table id="search-form">

<form method=get action=search.php>

<tr><td>Instructions:</td><td>Fill in either the author field, the title field, or both. Partial words/names are allowed. </td></tr>

<tr><td></td><td> <strong>Questions?</strong> Send an <a href="mailto:info@librivox.org">E-Mail</a> to us, or visit <a href="http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/CatalogPage#head-9d047aebb164438e092e34b64921bc0e3ce6e55a">this help page</a>.</td></tr>

<tr><td><label for="title">Title:</label></td><td><input type=text name=title id="title" value=""></td></tr>

<tr><td><label for="author">Author:</label></td><td><input type=text name=author id="author" value=""></td></tr>

<tr><td><label for="status">Status:</label></td><td><select name="status" id="status">

<option value="all">Any</option>
<option value="complete">Complete</option>
<option value="active">In Progress</option>

<option value="open">Open</option>
<option value="subscribed">Fully subscribed</option>
<option value="proof">Proof listening</option>

<tr><td><label for="submit">Search:</label></td><td><input type=submit name=action value="Search" id="submit"></td></tr></form>

</table>
And these would be editable without needing to "implement" anything... I think...
Jc

Post by Jc »

Look, how about I test it out with a French translation?

I'm not too sure how it works when you translate a page... do you modify the source code, or is there some kind of a template?
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Jc,

I need to create a wordpress page for the translations, using the template for the ones in English. So, I don't play around with the source code at all.
And there's only very basic html to use.

The problem with the catalogue search page is that I'm not enabled to edit it (not as far as I know. I don't need to anyway). So, if we want it to be translated, someone else would have to implement it (implement might not be the right word).
I've tried the source you copied two posts up to create a new page. The wordpress page looks OK but when I hit "Search", it takes me nowhere but to a "404 not found".

I don't think I'll have much time to look into this but if you want to ask DigiSage or tis about the possibility (and "doability") to have the catalogue search page in several languages, go ahead. :)
Ezwa

Boileau

Jc

Post by Jc »

try this:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dnsrw9s_33fnw5x9md

I'm not too sure how the search function works either... maybe it has to be integrated to the website to work...