internationalizing the site: NEED TRANSLATORS

Non-reading activities need your help too!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hannah,

This thread was looking for help to translate material on our Wiki and on the Librivox.org website. I don't know of any current needs in those areas, but we would still love to put your language skills to use!

We read material in the language in which it was published - so if someone is going to read a book in Russian, then they need to find a Russian language version that's in the Public Domain in the US (which generally means published before 1923). We don't use self published material, or create our own translations. You are welcome to read materials previously published in the Public Domain in any of the languages which you speak.

We would also love to have you help out proof listening in any of those languages (as part of our recording process, everything that is read goes through a "first listen" before we put it in the LV catalog). You can identify projects which have an opening for a proof listener in two ways: check for the tilde ~ in the thread title, or check to see what is listed on the Listeners Wanted forum.

MaryAnn
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

JohanLiebert wrote:Of course! I don't see any Korean translation of any page in the wiki or the homepage. Perhaps you should contact one of the admins?
jseraphym wrote:ummm...

I might be able to help in translating in Korean (tho it might take some time :p)

any need for this?
Hi there,

Do you need someone to help finishing the Korean Translation?
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
rillig

Post by rillig »

Hi,

I’d like to do the German translation of the LibriVox homepage. According to http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/German_Homepage_Translation, this still needs to be done. I already have experience in translating, so all I need for it is a Wiki account and someone who tells me “yes, you may start”.

Just in case that the translation is not done via that page (it’s been modified in 2009 for the last time), it would probably be a good idea to start a new site translation project “[2015] Internationalizing the site: NEED TRANSLATORS”, since I (and maybe other volunteers) don’t want to read through 37 pages of old, mostly irrelevant posts.

Greetings,
Roland
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That page is from 2007! :shock:
Thanks for your offer, but sorry, we're not doing any homepage translations at the moment.

We are happy if you could have a look at the librivox wiki and if you find something that's worth translating go for it there. However, if you are planning on doing something that is related to our methods (recording, noise cleaning, uploading, PLing...) it would probably be better if you could gather some experience with these things first.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com