Database for claiming chapters

Non-reading activities need your help too!
tis

Post by tis »

Jonathan,

For that sort of install, we'll need to talk to Dan (generous donor of hosting services). I'll introduce you two by email.

Chris (tis)
[img]http://goringe.net/images/chris.png[/img]
jonvw

Post by jonvw »

kayray wrote:hey all,

hugh likes the look of this page:

http://librivox.org/call-of-the-wild-by-jack-london/

for the eventual standard look-and-feel of the catalog pages. i'll be fixing up the current catalog to match that page, and thought i should mention it here too, so you guys know what to shoot for.

kara
This looks pretty nice, and should be pretty straightforward. I've moved the links out to a separate table which can have a many-to-many relationship with either books or chapters (or users for that matter). That allows us to attach multiple urls of any type to any given book or chapter. So if we start providing another file format or mirroring or off-site links, they can be added without making any changes to the database schema.

Hope to have something to show you all soon!

Jonathan
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

I'm not tied to this look, but it's got the info we need ... jon, would be nice to tag the chaps with specific readers - this might be of interest for listeners to find chaps done by readers they like...
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

One minor point: having a gutenberg URL should not be an absolute requirement, as there are many works in the public domain that are not yet on gutenberg. For our purposes, there are three groups of works available to us: 1 works that are out of copyright (and those other works that can be used in a similar way) but have not been checked as such by the gutenberg team; 2 works that have been authorised by the gutenberg team, but have not yet got onto the gutenberg site; 3 works on the gutenberg site.

I'd suggest a "free of copyright" tag, instead, plus 1) a block of information about how this has been checked or 2) the gutenberg authorisation number, or 3) the gutenberg url for the text
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

peter, thanks, good point ... stephan thanks for the mock-up...

chris, for you to field?
tis

Post by tis »

Stephan, I've emailed you :)
[img]http://goringe.net/images/chris.png[/img]
Hath1

Post by Hath1 »

While I currently am working in a position which does not allow me much development time (I am 1 of only 4 IT staff in my company with 220+ employees, and my manager and another coworker rarely field user help requests), I do have quite a bit of education and a good deal of practical experience as well in database applications. Mostly, I've used SQL Server, and quite a bit of Access, but even MySQL supports most of the standard ANSI-SQL constructs. As such, I'd like to offer my help in the back-end development of a new "upgraded" LibriVox that is much more automated and efficient.

I have set to be notified upon replies to this thread, so feel free to just post here if you'd like to see what I may have to offer. (This goes especially to jonvw, as it seems you're already off to a great start.)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Hi Hath, thanks for posting here. The database project is on delay at the moment, but i think it should be starting soonish again. Let me put you in touch with chris, who's our tech lead.