Third Anniversary of LibriVox -- let's celebrate!

Non-reading activities need your help too!
anoldfashiongirl

Post by anoldfashiongirl »

LOL what's the other reason?
~~~ Jami ~~~

Your Life is an occasion, rise to it.
- Mr. Magorium

Signature Loading
(89%/100)
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Well, folks, I think it's time to unveil my mangum opus, on which I commenced working 18 months ago. It was not quite perfect at the time of the second anniversary, but a year on and I've polished it up and I'm pretty sure it's a world-beater.

To the 'Happy Birthday' tune....

LibriVox is three years
Old LibriVox is three
Years old LibriVox is
Three years old LibriVox

Is three years old Libri
Vox is three years old Lib
riVox is three years old
LibriVox is three years

Old

Genius. Sheer genius.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Greetings!

On a more somber note (and not intending to rain on any parade), I plan to celebrate my time with LibriVox by recording "The Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki" which took place on August 6 and 9, 1945.

It's a report published by the US Army Corps of Engineers, who joined the first US soldiers that surveyed the catastrophic aftermath of the bombings, after assuring them that there was no lingering radioactivity to worry about (later reports differed sharply). It's a chilling and (unintentionally) cautionary report.

Sometimes I know that people make invidious comparisons between what the commercial audiobook industry can orchestrate and deliver, and our humbler yet notable efforts. I think it is important to underscore that while there is no "market" for a recording like the one I've just described, it is still worth doing, and will likely get done on LibriVox long before a commercial enterprise picks it up (if ever)!

And if downloads are any indication, it will likely be appreciated by numberless avid listeners.

Huzzah for LibriVox at Three Years!

-denny
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I can't think of anything interesting, clever or funny to write or to record.
Only could record Happy Birthday in German. No not the song but what one would say or write on a birthday card.

Would it not be nice to have "Happy Birthday" recorded in as many languages as possible. Cori could group 3 -5 together and put them all over her podcast. What do you think?
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Hokuspokus wrote:I can't think of anything interesting, clever or funny to write or to record.
Only could record Happy Birthday in German. No not the song but what one would say or write on a birthday card.

Would it not be nice to have "Happy Birthday" recorded in as many languages as possible. Cori could group 3 -5 together and put them all over her podcast. What do you think?
Sounds great! We did that for the first birthday too! I would offer to paste it all together if anyone wants!!

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

I'm not sure I can out sheer genius earthcalling, but here's what I came up with:
Happy Anniversary to us!
We make quite a fuss
about recording all texts in the US public domain and then releasing the files back into the public domain under the label of LibriVox for the past three years.
And we can't get enough!
I know it's sloppy trying to rhyme "enough" with "us", but it works with my accent. If it doesn't work with yours, try to sound more American.
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

i always thought it was aug 8 ... but i could be wrong.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

hugh wrote:i always thought it was aug 8 ... but i could be wrong.
Ya I said that too. :wink:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

oops I meant: I always thought it was aug 10!! (sorry).
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

this is the original blog post (on my old blog) announcing the launch, which i think i would have done on the same day:
http://dosemagazine.blogsome.com/2005/08/10/

which is aug 10, a wednesday. that makes sense since I would have come back from my friend's wedding on sunday or monday, spent a couple of days putting http://librivox.blogsome.com together and then "officially" launched it when it was "ready" ...

so i'd go with aug 10.

;-)
Mango

Post by Mango »

Happy Birthday's not in the PD? :O
Well I've put in a little present at the end of my recording, shoddy quality, but still, I went at a lot of lengths to get it recorded! It's mainly me rambling, but still, that's pretty much what we're about, right?
-All the best, Joe.
Bigbuckhunter

Post by Bigbuckhunter »

Well, folks, I think it's time to unveil my mangum opus, on which I commenced working 18 months ago. It was not quite perfect at the time of the second anniversary, but a year on and I've polished it up and I'm pretty sure it's a world-beater.

To the 'Happy Birthday' tune....

LibriVox is three years
Old LibriVox is three
Years old LibriVox is
Three years old LibriVox

Is three years old Libri
Vox is three years old Lib
riVox is three years old
LibriVox is three years

Old

Genius. Sheer genius.
Ha, ha. I just heard my 5 year old brother singing this song. He did it quite nicely. Thanks for the laughs, earthcalling. :D

:D

Rob
Last edited by Bigbuckhunter on August 25th, 2008, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Mango wrote:Happy Birthday's not in the PD? :O
Well I've put in a little present at the end of my recording, shoddy quality, but still, I went at a lot of lengths to get it recorded! It's mainly me rambling, but still, that's pretty much what we're about, right?
Mango, was that you playing "Ode To Joy" on the recorder? I loved it! So perfect for LV. Made me all teary-eyed :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)