Librivox Wiki

Non-reading activities need your help too!
kayray

Post by kayray »

I just tried TWICE to edit the equipment page and firefox crashes everytime I hit "preview".

GRRRRRRR.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kayray

Post by kayray »

OK, I've tried again and again and it crashes every time.

Would someone please add this stuff under the headset mic entry on this page:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/UserRecommendedEquipment

=== Desktop Microphones ===
. These desktop mics work well for those who aren't comfortable in a headset. Place your desktop mic on a stack of books at your side, close to and a little above or below the level of your mouth. Speak past the mic, not directly into it, and you'll avoid popping Ps.
*[http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=6776 Logitech USB Desktop Microphone]
*[http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate_css_temp.cgi?p=ms-135549 MacMice MicFlex USB Microphone System]
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
vee

Post by vee »

I'll take care of it. not sure why it would crash firefox though.
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
vee

Post by vee »

harvey wrote: So the unanswered question is this: Is it legal to apply a name and
password, that one did not pay for, to Cool Edit 2000 (this "registers"
the program and unlocks all its features) given that it's no longer
possible to pay for it? We need an answer. Is there a lawyer in the
house? What does Hugh have to say?
For now I would say to go ahead and write up the Cool Edit FAQ without explicitly mentioning how to "crack" it. The how-to itself would be beneficial, and can serve as a reference for the Adobe Audition one. I was going to do that once I got my hands on version 2.0. Let me see what I can do about getting a legal opinion or at least a general consensus from the other admins on this.

Just as a side note for everyone. I added a glossary page. It's empty at the moment, so if you think of terms just start putting them in. You don't have to put in the definitions yet, but at least terms that you think belong in there. Please put in anchor links if you can, it'll help with linking later.
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
harvey

Post by harvey »

kayray wrote:I just tried TWICE to edit the equipment page and firefox crashes everytime I hit "preview".

GRRRRRRR.
Kara,

Firefox is what I've been using without a hitch, but I seem to recall you're
on a Mac, and I live on a Windows PC. So this note is probably not much
comfort to you (:-(

Cheers,
harvey
harvey

Post by harvey »

vee wrote: I added a glossary page. Please put in anchor links if you can, it'll help with linking later.
Chris,

http://www.librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HelpOnMacros
The editing page HelpOnMacros contains this tantalizing entry:

Code: Select all

[[GetVal(NeatSnippets,regards)]]
Retrieve dictionary entries from dict pages.
However, I'm having a hard time making heads-or-tails of many of the
entries in the tables of macros, especially since there seems to be few
explanations of the parameters, including for this one. Maybe you can
make sense of it.

Cheers,
harvey
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

I was going to edit the Audacity FAQ, but it's in first person, anonymous first person. The edit I was going to add is an alternative approach to background noise, which will definitely contradict what is already there.

How do I procede?

Or, more importantly, shouldn't this guide be in general third person, quoting first person (attributed), if / as needed?

It's hopelessly confusing to switch point of view, especially when you have no idea whose view is whose.
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
harvey

Post by harvey »

kayray wrote:"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Logitech USB noise-cancelling desk mic, which you can buy for about $30 and comes recommended by many LibriVox volunteers, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Kara,

I've been enjoying your "Mary knew not how" quotation every time I see it,
but this new version is hilarious. I'm laughing out loud even as I type.

Thank you,
harvey
harvey

Post by harvey »

Harvey's list keeps growing

In case y'all haven't noticed, I'm continuing to add to what Gesine
called "Harvey's list", in order to keep it all collected in one place.
For example -- Chris Vee take note, there's now a link to the Wiki
help on its include mechanism. I'll be experiementing with various
ways to visually indicate new stuff and changes.

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16576#16576
vee

Post by vee »

Yeah I figured there's a lot of stuff that's listed as a "macro." Probably not the greatest term, but I'm slugging through them to figure out what they really do. When I get a chance I'll make a sandbox page with all the macros so we get a better sense of how they work.

I have a feeling I'm going to be making a wiki page just for edits. Actually that's not a bad idea. I'll add it as a subpage to my name and we can add/edit the list as we go. Should be up in an hour or so.

marlodianne - I would just add your noise reduction portion as you see fit. We will be doing lots of edits on all content as we go. I think we're about half way through on the "just get content" in rush, and then we can go back and edit for readibility, grammer, and the like. The Audacity FAQ originally evolved from a long series of forum posts by various users on how they used it, so that's why it's in first person.
Chris Vee
kayray

Post by kayray »

Harvey -- Glad you like the new-and-improved Austen quotation -- that was Hugh's idea :) I've been able to edit other wiki pages without a crash -- just not the user recommended equipment page! Very frustrating. And now I am hesitant to edit any pages, as it's not much fun to lose my 10 (or so) tabs without warning...

Marlo -- as vee said, don't worry to much about making edits elegant and pretty... Someone will go back over each page eventually and smooth things out, I'm sure. And I'm sure it's fine to say something like "This is Marlo -- I use this other method for noise removal..." That would make the pages nice and personal and warm-feeling :)

Vee --- thanks for editing the darn equipment page for me :)
Kara
--------
vee

Post by vee »

Kara, have you tried the Crash Recover extension? You can also try SessionSaver. Once you've installed them you can either save all your tabs or help you recover from where you left off if it does crash.

My wiki subpage is up so everyone can add tasks for me :)
Chris Vee
harvey

Post by harvey »

Cascading Style Sheet question

I'm endeavoring to determine where to put a set of CSS definitions for
use in the software comparison table on the Software We Use page.

It doesn't seem like it's possible to embed them in the wiki page,
like in HTML.

Chris, if I work out some CSS definitions for the table, can you
(figure out how to) add them to the system so that I can reference
them as style classes in the software table?

I want to do this without using the User CSS URL, since that doesn't seem
very stable for the wiki as a whole.

Thanks,
harvey
vee

Post by vee »

Well I can temporarily host them on my site so you can simply link to them, but once Squddhartha gets back from his business trip we should be able to store it on the LV servers.

I have a feeling that the GetValue macro isn't installed at the moment. It also might not necessarily do the popups that you were looking for. I'm not familiar with Python programming, but we might be able to write our own macro if we can find someone who knows Python.
Chris Vee
kri

Post by kri »

vee wrote:Well I can temporarily host them on my site so you can simply link to them,
They would have to be put into the header of the template file to link to them.