Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I would like to know who did the nice cover for this project https://librivox.org/the-adventure-of-the-blue-carbuncle-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle/

The clean and simple yet striking background works perfectly. Their name is not included in the cover art that I can see, hence this query.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

philchenevert wrote: November 29th, 2022, 7:37 am I would like to know who did the nice cover for this project https://librivox.org/the-adventure-of-the-blue-carbuncle-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle/

The clean and simple yet striking background works perfectly. Their name is not included in the cover art that I can see, hence this query.
It's in the PDF (click on "Download CD case insert"). It was Annise. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

TriciaG wrote: November 29th, 2022, 8:35 am
philchenevert wrote: November 29th, 2022, 7:37 am I would like to know who did the nice cover for this project https://librivox.org/the-adventure-of-the-blue-carbuncle-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle/

It's in the PDF (click on "Download CD case insert"). It was Annise. :)
Thank you Tricha. I read that case insert 3 times and still somehow missed seeing her name at the bottom. These cover artists are just too self effacing.

Say, what is the feasibility of using our built in polling ability to have a 'best Cover Art of the month'? 10 would be nominated and their links shown and we could pick. Criteria would be "Oooooh, I like that!" or perhaps no criteria at all, just personal feelings. At least all of you unsung dedicated artists would know that somebody appreciates your time searching PD sources and trying to make them look cool and informative. Of course I need to see how to use our forum software to do a poll. Image
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: November 29th, 2022, 12:54 pm Say, what is the feasibility of using our built in polling ability to have a 'best Cover Art of the month'?
That would be like polling for "best reader of the month", or "best solo of the month". It would please one person, slight everyone else, and perhaps discourage some from participating. As it is now, we all enjoy our freedom to create and decorate without chasing glory or money. And there is the Thank A CoverMaker feature hidden deep in the bowels of the Wiki, and in the first post of the Working Thread, which I am sure is rarely read and could be more prominently displayed, along with how to find the name of who made your cover.

However, while we are on the subject, I'd love to see our platform automatically award members for how many years they've been here. Hint. My 10 years is coming up in June, and I'd love a 10 sticker to suddenly appear by my name in everything I post. There could be a unique achievement sticker for 1, 5, 10, 20 years, and another for projects BC'd, 1, 10, 50, 100, etc. If these achievement rewards could be automated, that would be spectacular, and there would be no judgment attached.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm glad you liked the cover Phil - we all do try to please.
I'm always pleased with the variety of covers we get - looking at the IA search pages pleases me overall - there will always be some that I personally like best but.....
what I like most about LV is that every book we make is a team production everything we can achieve is and no one is the star. People contribute what they can in the time they have available, often when they see a need to do something that may not be their favourite occupation.

So no voting for best anything at LV , not even for the person whose signatures provide the best laughs :hmm:

Anne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

annise wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:50 pm I'm glad you liked the cover Phil - we all do try to please.
I'm always pleased with the variety of covers we get - looking at the IA search pages pleases me overall - there will always be some that I personally like best but.....
what I like most about LV is that every book we make is a team production everything we can achieve is and no one is the star. People contribute what they can in the time they have available, often when they see a need to do something that may not be their favourite occupation.

So no voting for best anything at LV , not even for the person whose signatures provide the best laughs :hmm:

Anne
Well, of course the idea of voting for a 'top five' of anything in LibriVox is something we would never do; I knew that as soon as I posted the message. But it came from my heart and was well meant to honor our artists even if ...uh.... misguided. So consider the thought tabled.

But concerning that cover, I really liked how you did it for both Sherlock stories and would love for the same concept and images be used for any more Sherlock books or stories I record in the future. Is it permissible to mention that somehow to any cover art maker and request they use the same format? I know the individual artist does their own thing with each cover, following their instincts, but it don't hurt to ask, eh? If you shared the art and stuff with me I might even take a crack at making them myself. (and yes, I have 3 more stories planned in January and February of next year.)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I could take them on as a series if that is what you want ? We do have quite a number of "series" type covers. I don't remember exactly how I did it but I can have a look - it's a help if you remind me though :D

Anne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

annise wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:31 am I could take them on as a series if that is what you want ? We do have quite a number of "series" type covers. I don't remember exactly how I did it but I can have a look - it's a help if you remind me though :D

Anne
That would be neat if you are willing to do them. It will be just 3 and I will give you a heads up in January when they are ready to complete. If not, that's ok. I will just sulk.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's actually rather quick and easy to do those sort of series - just change the title on the top layer and it is almost finished :D

Anne
DontEatYourFriends

Post by DontEatYourFriends »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Just wanted to let Jo know, I love the cover she made for The Pagan's Cup. https://ia601406.us.archive.org/20/items/paganscup_2211_librivox/paganscup_2211.pdf
and ask her, How did you get that blue to shine through the vertical letters so vividly? It actually seems to sparkle. :shock:

I don't often see covers made by our MC's because they don't post them to the Working Thread for Anne to link up -- including Anne's. I presume this is because they can do the linking up themselves.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes - we mainly do. And some of the readers who make covers give them to their MCs before they are catalogued.
I'll make sure Jo sees your post

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

DontEatYourFriends wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:07 pm
Thanks! Sounds great!
Not sure I know what you mean by this post ? Anne
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Hello, I'm still trying to understand how things work.
I've noticed that normally projects that end up on youtube show whose the cover design is; but not those I produced the cover for.
Could somebody kindly enlighten me? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

DrSpoke wrote: December 16th, 2022, 2:07 pm Hello, I'm still trying to understand how things work.
I've noticed that normally projects that end up on youtube show whose the cover design is; but not those I produced the cover for.
Could somebody kindly enlighten me? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
I've moved your post from the working thread to the chat thread. The working thread is for claims and submissions, and other direct cover work. This thread is for questions and other communications. :)

I have no idea how the YouTube person pulls the credit for the cover. I see on your recent one, it says in the PDF, "Design by Claudia Caldi". Is that you? Maybe because it doesn't say "cover design" the script used doesn't recognize you as the cover maker?

(By the way, your PDF says "librivox.com" - it's "librivox.org". ;))

User BengtW is the one who has the script for the YouTube stuff. Maybe shoot him a quick PM and ask.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine