Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You're welcome! :D

When I look at the image, I think "poor boy with his broken leg - no wonder he has to sit..." :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
schrm

Post by schrm »

Yes the perspective srems to be broken and yet it suits the magical powers and creatures in the stories
:D :thumbs:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Hi!

I resurface this old issue now about the Short Poetry Collection covers. I will be doing, as I mentioned 2 years and a half ago, at least the next covers, nos. 229 and 230, and I am also willing to continue for a number more if there are not other people interested in taking over this series.

Regards,

Basquetteur

Basquetteur wrote: February 5th, 2020, 11:39 am
Availle wrote: February 4th, 2020, 6:04 pm
Basquetteur wrote: February 4th, 2020, 1:58 am I do not understand very well the later message about Rapunzelina and the Team Poetry. My understanding is that she will put my name in the cover and, therefore the cover will not appear in the claims list. I understand from your message that I need to contact her so she can make the pre-claim for each month's series. But I am not very sure now.
Rapunzelina is the MC for the Poetry Collection. If you tell her that she has a new "dedicated cover maker" then she can make a preclaim so that once the collection is catalogued, it will show up with a name in the claims list.

What that name is, is the question. :wink: It can be yours, it can be mine, or it can be "Team Poetry" so that if somebody else wants to be part of the team later on, it's easy to accommodate (and easy for the poetry MC to make the claim).
Hi
regarding this issue

I suggest the following:

- I volunteered to make covers for this SPC series. Follwing earlier discussions, I volunteer for 30 volumes, not 100, ...and unlike Bart who volunteered for 200.... I would proceed like he did: I will do the 30, and I will mention when uploading number 129 that number 130 finishes my comitment. That is for 2 years and a half, or 30 months. It would be posible that I could go on for another 30 or until the 300, but I think it is better not to comit right now for such a long time.

- I have developed the template for the series, with useful feedback from Availle. The template includes a gimp file (which can be possibly exported to other formats, or if the worst comes to the worst, to separate png layers importable in most other graphic raster software) and also the opeoffice/libreoffice template for the CD cover insert, which follows the existing series (Normally I use the origami sleeves and not the CD insert format, but I consider that in order to follow the format of this very old series, it is important to maintain the same format for the CD insert.

- As regards the cover itself, the series I have designed is essentially a continuation and a mixture of the previous 1-100 and 101-200. It contains bands (with a twist) like 101-200, and also flowers (like 1-100). It is not dramatically different than the previous ones. As I say, Availle has provided some feedback on the overall design, as I have discussed with her. The template includes a set of palettes of colours based on Bart's series. In addition a bank of images of flowers (PD from wikimedia commons) to be used in the bands or strips -or in other ways-, has been also selected by me. All those things will be provided by me and will be available for anyone willing to join.

- If anyone wishes to joint the cover making for this series at this time I would suggest to take a figure from 2 to 8. This means that for example taking a 2, that person would be doing the covers for nos. 202, 212 and 222 (3 covers out of 30). It would be possible to do also more than one figure. I think it is good to do this point of taking a precise figure so it is automatically known who would be doing which cover when from well in advance (to the team and probably also to Rapunzelina). From my part, I would be doing all 0, 1, 9, and all other figures not taken by anyone else. If no one picks any figure, I would be doing the 30 covers. If someone picks all from 2 to 8 then he/she would be doing 21 covers and I would be doing just 9 covers (201, 209, 210, 211, 219, 220, 221, 229, and 230). If several people take part in the team and take just one figure from 2 to 8, he/she would be doing 3 covers. It would also possible not to join the team at the beginning and jump to the wagon as it progresess - I suppose particularly if someone does not like my covers for this series-. But then Rapunzelina should know who is going to do the next cover: Basquetteur, the Short Poetry Team, or someone else.

- involving a team would likely result in more variation in the covers than if done by one person only, as I would expect that, despite the template, some variations would be introduced by different people in the covers. As discussed with Availle, the template is a template, and shoud not be taken as a rigid model.

- I understand the series involves one monthly cover and I have discovered that the CD insert contains the list of poems+autors+readers, in addition to the standard texts with disclamers, reference to PD and librivox. Lists of 50 or more like 60 are not rare; so inserting adequately the text in the CD insert template can involve a certain amount of work. I do have already a template for this.

- Sorry for this long explanation. I am posting the state of still draft number 201, this might still evolve as it seems, I still have some time, to better illustrate my digression.

So the question remains: should I inform Rapunzelina that Basquetteur will be the cover maker for this part of the series from 201 to 230? or Should I tell her that it will be the Short Poetry Team composed of Basquetteur, and X, Y and Z?, or that it is the Short Poetry team composed of Basquetteur so far?

I look forward to comments and ideas

May be this post should be moved to the other covermakers thread

Regards

Basquetteur
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm happy to take over. :D

Could you send me the template - best to upload it as a .zip into the covers folder. You can send me the link in a pm.
What are you using - gimp? I'll see if it works for me and will let you know when I'm ready.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Thank you for the cover of 'Der Roman der XII' (https://librivox.org/der-roman-der-xii-by-herbert-eulenberg/).
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Availle wrote: July 1st, 2022, 2:31 am I'm happy to take over. :D

Could you send me the template - best to upload it as a .zip into the covers folder. You can send me the link in a pm.
What are you using - gimp? I'll see if it works for me and will let you know when I'm ready.
Hi,

I am in an unexpected travel outside my home. I should be back home next Sunday, and then I would be able to upload the zip file and everything else.

Regards,

Basquetteur
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Basquetteur wrote: July 8th, 2022, 6:19 am I am in an unexpected travel outside my home. I should be back home next Sunday, and then I would be able to upload the zip file and everything else.
That's fine, no worries! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

:thumbs: Thank you Tricia for the Cover of 'Helle Nacht' from Emmy Hennings. :9:
Bernd

reader page of lorda

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmm. It looks like Archive changed something, so that the *.jpg and the *_itemimage.jpg both show on the Archive page. You can scroll through both images (which are identical) on that top portion of the Archive page. :hmm:

I wonder if this is going to mess with the view counts again.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The counts are pretty useless anyhow - it has only just happened , it may just be a glitch or "unexpected consequence".
We'll just keep on as we are for the present.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

From the working thread:
I use OpenOffice and it has an option in the file menu to export as PDF - does LibreOffice ?
Yes, it does. :)
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Availle wrote: July 1st, 2022, 2:31 am I'm happy to take over. :D

Dear Availle,

It has taken me more time than I expected, but here it is finally. I have uploaded the odt file for the CD cover (format for libreoffice and openoffice) and the coverfile image in The Gimp, here

https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/Short_poetry_collection_for_Availle.zip

as discussed.

There are also included some ancillary files ( link to the series of paintings of flowers used for the covers, the openfont used in some of the text, etc...).

I will be making the next one, the no. 230 (end of August). If you prefer to have more time before you take over, I could make a few additional covers until then. I could make up to 233 (to reach the first third of the second 100 series) or up to 235, a more rounded number. It is up to you. I suppose it also depends on if you prefer to keep the series and the template as is or if you prefer to tweak it or restyle it a bit (or radically). Just let me know.

I have all the time used the standard size A4 for the CD cover. I realize that many people may prefer the American standard (11' ?). I do not know if that is a big problem. I did not prepare two versions.

Regards,

Basquetteur
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Basquetteur,

I have downloaded the zip and all is well. Thanks for the links and the new font! :thumbs:
I can take over from 231, as planned, it's fine. I'll send you a pm if I have questions.

Thank you for getting this new design started and for keeping up with it for so long. :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

For the record, although I BC'd it, I'd rather not make the cover for Songs of the Outlands.

There are some sketch illustrations in the Archive text which might be of use to whomever does the cover. :)
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Thank you for the cover of 'Eva - Lilith' (https://librivox.org/eva-lilith-by-bruno-ertler/).
Bernd

reader page of lorda