Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

Since some of the covers unfortunately are stretched or too low in resolution for 1920x1080px screens: would it be helpful to apply an additional image file for the youtube files?

For https://librivox.org/der-schatz-im-silbersee-by-karl-may/, I did a quick version that should work:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tMHMozbuyz0H4jj8H78GSrIovTVuQfAA/view?usp=sharing
"it's worse than you know!" - "it usually is." | Find a growing collection of my covers in higher resolution at flickr
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'd say that goes beyond our objective. If it were simply resizing the existing image, then maybe. But it's a different dimension, requiring a different design. (Sometimes I have a hard enough time making a portrait image square; making it landscape would be impossible.)

Can't a YouTube video simply put black bars on the two sides of the square image?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: September 18th, 2021, 3:11 pm I'd say that goes beyond our objective. If it were simply resizing the existing image, then maybe. But it's a different dimension, requiring a different design. (Sometimes I have a hard enough time making a portrait image square; making it landscape would be impossible.)

Can't a YouTube video simply put black bars on the two sides of the square image?
Yes the black bars work fine. I certainly don't want the additional work of creating a whole other rectangular cover, and I don't want to see my images stretched out. Each one is a piece of carefully balanced artwork already.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's only the people who are too lazy/don't care that do just stretch them, many of the "channels" don't - and it is PD some they can do what they like so personally it annoys me every time I see it and I do try to make the Librivox visible and difficult to coverup so it at least advertises the source :D

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Maybe someone would make a simple black rectangular template that says LibriVox on both sides, then paste our cover in the middle, or place our covers at one end and our motto "Librivox, acoustical liberation of books into the public domain." at the other end.
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi annise, hi everyone,

since i decided to take a little break and leave lv, i give back all remaining preclaims (if any are preclaimed).

covermaking developed to one of my favorite tasks here on lv - thank you to every single one of you for inspiring and helping me :-)

all my best wishes to you
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sad to see you go, Wolfi. I hope it's only for a little while, and that you'll come back refreshed. :)

I don't see any cover claims for you. Enjoy your break!
msfry

Post by msfry »

À tout à l’heure, Wolfi (as we French people say). I wonder who is going to talk German to us now, and decorate LV with your own original artwork? Surely you'll be missed and you will miss us, and my bet is you'll come back in due time. Life piles up, though, and everybody needs a break, so have a productive one, take care of yourself, and stay in touch. Your space will be here as long as LV exists. Cheers, Michele
BengtW

Post by BengtW »

Best of luck schrm!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Is it possible to find out who has provided the cover art for a project? They don't seem to get a credit.

Two of my recent projects have been given excellent cover art and I would quite like to thank whoever did them. :)
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Click on the link that says "download cd case insert" underneath the image on the catalog page.
On the back side of the cover, the image source is named, as well as the artist.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Thank you Tricia for the cover of Der Tod. :9:
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

lorda wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:56 pm Thank you Tricia for the cover of Der Tod. :9:
Thanks! I'm always a little scared to do covers in other languages. But the Archive text gave a good design idea, and it even supplied the artwork. :9:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

"It Pays to Advertise" had a space in as the claimant name, so it looked blank but had a claim date on it.

I removed the space, so now it shows as a proper, open project.

If someone really meant to claim it but didn't quite get their name in it, please re-claim. :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That's odd - I claimed it yesterday, I've re-instated my claim.

Anne