Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
schrm

Post by schrm »

msfry wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 7:17 am This cover, by philiasfogg, is a good illustration of how the pure black we designate as 000000, differs from the black screens on IA. This really irks me as it messes with covers where I want one or more edges to blend in with the black background so the cover doesn't look like a square, or the letters appear to hang off the edges.

https://archive.org/details/el_crimen_de_gramercy_park_2103_librivox

Here, the cover black is darker than the black background (first link under the thumbnail)
https://ia801500.us.archive.org/34/items/el_crimen_de_gramercy_park_2103_librivox/gramercypark_2103.jpg

Here, the cover black is lighter than the black background (link to IA project page).
https://archive.org/details/el_crimen_de_gramercy_park_2103_librivox

Do you see the same thing? Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this could be?
yes, that's obvious and not the fault of your eyes!
for sure it is not 00000 black here https://ia801500.us.archive.org/34/items/el_crimen_de_gramercy_park_2103_librivox/gramercypark_2103.jpg

yes: i tested it with the color pipette of glimpse (gimp) and it says 0e0e0e
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Once again, my thanks to msfry for an absolutely perfect cover for The North West Passage (V1) by Roald Amundsen.

https://ia801502.us.archive.org/25/items/north_west_passage_volume_i_2103_librivox/northwestpassage_2103.jpg

Another fine job, Michele! :clap:

S
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Steven Seitel wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:03 pm Once again, my thanks to msfry for an absolutely perfect cover for The North West Passage (V1) by Roald Amundsen.

https://ia801502.us.archive.org/25/items/north_west_passage_volume_i_2103_librivox/northwestpassage_2103.jpg

Another fine job, Michele! :clap:

S
You are welcome. And I see you've put up Volume 2!!!!! Can't wait to listen and learn more about igloos and eskimos.
johng

Post by johng »

There doesn't seem to be a lot of PD graphic material for this...unless one is able to use illustrations from inside the Harper's magazine original.
It's a sweet little story, based on some pretty sad historical events.

I hope someone can create an attractive, touching cover for

The Death Disk by Mark Twain
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=86315&p=1871518#p1871518
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!
msfry

Post by msfry »

johng wrote: March 24th, 2021, 10:31 am There doesn't seem to be a lot of PD graphic material for this...unless one is able to use illustrations from inside the Harper's magazine original.

I'd be happy to make your cover, John, alas I've already claimed my limit of 2. If it isn't claimed by the time I finish one of these, I'll pick it up.
johng

Post by johng »

msfry wrote: March 24th, 2021, 11:08 am
johng wrote: March 24th, 2021, 10:31 am There doesn't seem to be a lot of PD graphic material for this...unless one is able to use illustrations from inside the Harper's magazine original.

I'd be happy to make your cover, John, alas I've already claimed my limit of 2. If it isn't claimed by the time I finish one of these, I'll pick it up.
thanks, Michele!
:-)
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I was looking at this last night - the Harper's illustrations could be used, but they may not make a good cover, I was wondering about sealing wax, it's easy to get red ones, white ones way need some fiddling, and there is always Cromwell to use :D

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Adorable cover on The Bee!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
schrm

Post by schrm »

many many totally different very good covers, the last weeks.
i use the covers sorted by publication on archive as a gallery, sometimes.
and wonder about and enjoy this arts journey!

---------------------------

well, i do have a question..
i fell in love with the painting: https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/collection/works/OA41.1970/

it qualifies for our rules, but: the copyright policy of the australian museum prohibits any use of their pictures.

well, anne, you are an australian mc and...well, maybe i know the answer already, but: what is your advice?

edit: no the pic of the painting is not pd - i'm sorry, pls ignore the question
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The official position taken by the Wikimedia Foundation is that "faithful reproductions of two-dimensional public domain works of art are public domain".
Most galleries make money by selling prints so if they spend good money digitising their collections properly they do not want people downloading the images to make prints to sell. And that is far enough
But I think it is OK to use them the way we do as long as the painting itself is PD in the USA

I'm not an international copyright lawyer but I'm happy for them to be used as covers :D

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: April 10th, 2021, 3:16 am
The official position taken by the Wikimedia Foundation is that "faithful reproductions of two-dimensional public domain works of art are public domain".
Most galleries make money by selling prints so if they spend good money digitising their collections properly they do not want people downloading the images to make prints to sell. And that is far enough
But I think it is OK to use them the way we do as long as the painting itself is PD in the USA

I'm not an international copyright lawyer but I'm happy for them to be used as covers :D

Anne
mhm.
this special painting is available via the gallery or google arts exclusively, seems to be,
there is a webseite fine american arts which also sells prints but...
this painter is german-australian, so i get just another additional hint to not trust this.

on the webpage of the gallery is a copyright text:
https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/about-us/about-website/copyright-policy/
he content of this website may be used:

for private research and study;
for research and study ...

...All other uses of the content of this site require Gallery permission...

..The content of this website (or any part of it) may not be:

posted to any other website;
modified, republished, distributed, reproduced or communicated in any form
used for any public performance or display including a transmission over a network
reproduced in any form...

...All images are protected by digital watermarks...
i think, i just don't want to hasssle with this.
maybe i ask them for permission, but so..
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Come one, come all! There's ELEVEN unclaimed covers in the cover list! :shock:

We've cataloged nine projects today, and something like that yesterday, too. Wow!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:39 am Come one, come all! There's ELEVEN unclaimed covers in the cover list! :shock:

We've cataloged nine projects today, and something like that yesterday, too. Wow!
Ten :wink:
schrm

Post by schrm »

... shall i break my self-set rule of claiming three days unclaimed books, mostly?
:hmm:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Salvationist wrote: April 29th, 2021, 6:23 pm Here's the cover for "Lorelei of the Red Mist" by Leigh Brackett and Ray Bradbury:

https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/Salvationist.zip

I noticed that Bradbury isn't linked as one of the two authors, even though the summary indicates that Brackett and Bradbury each wrote parts of the the story. The other LibriVox recording of this story credits both authors, so I think this one should as well.

Also, I noticed a couple of typos in the first sentence of the summary. The sentence currently reads "Written Published in Planet Stories in 1946, this The story itself is a great mix of Golden Age Sci Fi and Swords & Sorcery." I recommend removing the words "Written", "The", and "itself" to make the following: "Published in Planet Stories in 1946, this story is a great mix of Golden Age Sci Fi and Swords & Sorcery."
Thank you! That is a GREAT cover you made; I love it. Also I am fixing the typos in the summary as you suggest and crediting the authors correctly. Geeesh, kinda sloppy, eh? But anyway, i love the art work you did there, it is very relevant to the story.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk