1 Minute Test - mattm [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
mattm

Post by mattm » July 31st, 2021, 11:00 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for feedback on my 1-minute test.

I'm using Audacity 3.0.2 on Mac with a Blue Yeti USB mic.

I have already applied the Normalize filter and Noise Reduction filter to my sample.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_mattm.mp3

Thanks!

Thirsch

Post by Thirsch » August 2nd, 2021, 11:41 am

mattm wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 11:00 pm
Hi,

I'm looking for feedback on my 1-minute test.

I'm using Audacity 3.0.2 on Mac with a Blue Yeti USB mic.

I have already applied the Normalize filter and Noise Reduction filter to my sample.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_mattm.mp3

Thanks!
Hi Matt . .
. . .and welcome to Librivox. Your 1-minute test was delightful. You have a good, clear voice. And your interpretation of the narration also sounds good. I think you'll be a great contributor to the Librivox project.

Just a couple things you might watch out for:
1. Remember to leave about 1/2 second at the beginning and 5 seconds at the end of your recording. Proof Listeners will always "nail" you on this one :lol:
2. The "Background noise" level was just a tad high -- not objectionable and certainly not enough to exclude the effort. But if you can get it down a bit -- give it a try. I usually shoot for about 24dB and can maintain that pretty regularly.
3. Similarly - the "Volume" was 90dB. This is definitely within Librivox standards, but (again) it's easy to achieve the standardized target of 89.0 dB using Checker.

The recommendation for "Checker" is a great one. This small, downloadable, free app will work wonders for you (it does for me :P ) toward achieving these goals. Here's a link to the Librivox Wiki page discussing Checker and how you can get it: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Again, welcome to Librivox. I'll look forward to hearing you in the forum.

Tom Hirsch
See you in the library . . . . .

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » August 2nd, 2021, 12:51 pm

Hi Matt

Sounds good and meets all the specs. You are good-to-go. Happy narrating!

BTW, your background noise level is perfectly fine. Do not apply additional noise removal or you risk audio distortion.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

mattm

Post by mattm » August 4th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the kind welcome, Tom! I will keep your tips in mind. I was using the Checker but was too lazy to keep tweaking to get it to 89. I'll make a point of doing so in future.
And thanks for reviewing my test as well, Mark.

Tom, how did you measure the noise level? I used the Analyze | Contrast... tool in Audacity and got -22.18 dB for a foreground selection, and -68.98 dB for the blank part at the end. I admit to knowing very little about sound. Thanks.

Thirsch

Post by Thirsch » August 5th, 2021, 5:33 am

mattm wrote:
August 4th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Tom, how did you measure the noise level? I used the Analyze | Contrast... tool in Audacity and got -22.18 dB for a foreground selection, and -68.98 dB for the blank part at the end. I admit to knowing very little about sound. Thanks.
Hi Matt,

Checker will tell you the Background Noise level. I usually run Audacity's Noise Reduction several times on any new recording, selecting samples from various locations within the wave form. Often, when I hear something particularly annoying during my third or fourth time through listening to the whole recording, I'll discover a section where, perhaps, an airplane flew over or a truck drove by that I wasn't aware of during the recording session. Then I'll take a sample of the "background noise" from within that section and run noise reduction just on the offending portion.

That said - - - I also have some pretty sophisticated recording equipment here and have developed "settings" over the 11 years I've been part of Librivox that pretty much filter out a lot of "static" before it ever makes it into the processor.

Over the years I've made heavy use of Google seeking out answers and solutions to various difficulties. You'll find practically anything you'll ever want to know about Audacity on line through both Google and YouTube. You will also find that the folks who step up as "Proof Listeners" here in Librivox are very knowledgeable and they'll always be happy to answer questions and help you over problem areas. The volunteers here in Librivox are a great group of folks. I believe you'll thoroughly enjoy being a part of this team.

Stay well . . . .

Tom
See you in the library . . . . .