Test recording uploaded.

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
tpndhr

Post by tpndhr » February 18th, 2021, 8:59 pm

Hi Team,

I have uploaded my test recording. Kindly check it and provide a feedback.
I have used Audacity on Windows 10 and a USB headphone to record my test audio.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Tapan_Dhar_-_LibriVox_sample.mp3

Looking forward to a response.

Regards,

Tapan Dhar.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 22nd, 2021, 9:28 pm

tpndhr wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 8:59 pm
Hi Team,

I have uploaded my test recording. Kindly check it and provide a feedback.
I have used Audacity on Windows 10 and a USB headphone to record my test audio.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Tapan_Dhar_-_LibriVox_sample.mp3

Looking forward to a response.

Regards,

Tapan Dhar.
Hi, Tapan. I just noticed that your test has been awaiting a response for a few days. So sorry about that!

Your reading was clear and understandable, and you have a very pleasant voice. But there are a few technical issues we need to address.

For one thing, this recording is too loud. We aim for 89 dB, or within a range of 86-92. This test comes in at about 97. It's easy to amplify in Audacity, but I recommend adjusting the input from your mic so that you're already in the correct range and don't need to amplify. There's a slider bar in Audacity's toolbars with a mic icon next to it. I keep mine turned all the way up. (If you don't see it, go to View>Toolbars>Mixer Toolbar.) You can also adjust your mic's input in the audio settings of Windows. I keep mine at 94%, but you may need a little more or a little less.

Second, your bit rate is incorrect. This recording has a variable bit rate, and we need it constant at 128 kbps. This setting is easy to change in Audacity. Go to File>Export>Export as MP3. In the box that pops up, take a look at Format Options (towards the bottom). Make sure to select Constant and 128 kbps. Then you can click Save. Audacity will save those settings for you, so you shouldn't have to mess with them again after this.

I noticed two other issues that aren't as critical but still important. And it's possible that turning down the mic input would solve both of them, but I'm not sure. First, you have quite a lot of background noise. Audacity comes with a great built-in tool for noise reduction that is very easy to use. If you notice white noise behind your voice, even after lowering your volume, I recommend that you give it a shot.

You also have quite a lot of plosive noise. This is that "windy" noise you can hear from time to time in the recording. It happens as your breath blows into the microphone. Normally, I would recommend moving away from the mic a little, but of course, you can't do that with a headset. What you can (and should, I think) do is to move the microphone itself so that it's either up near your nose, or down by your chin, but NOT directly in front of your mouth. It'll still be plenty close enough to pick up all of your words, but not in the direct path of your breath blowing past it.

Please try these tips and submit another test. I hope to hear from you soon!